Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

car chamy (sp*)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default car chamy (sp*)

i can't spell it right, but is there anyway to clean a chamy towel? mine went from a light tan to black. can you clean it or do you just have to buy a new one?
Old 04-22-2005, 02:21 PM
Banned
SL Member

sounds like you're using your chamois before the car is clean.. you could soak it in a bleach/water mixture for a few mins, that should help. make sure and rinse it thoroughly before it dries..

as long as it's not dirty, doesn't matter what color it is..
Old 04-22-2005, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Personally, at that point I would replace it.

It does sound like it's trashed from either

1) Car not clean before you use it!

2) Your Chamois is pulling the wax off (and dirt imbeded etc)

3) Or, your paint is so trashed that you are pulling up paint and
dirt and wax and whatnot.

I think you need to replace your chamois, and re-evaluate how
you are washing your car.

Here are some links for you that might help you out:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html

http://www.adamspolishes.com/videos/

The second one is how to videos that will help out a lot!
Old 04-28-2005, 07:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a bunch of different chamois( actully i use the ABSORBER)

one for exterior
one for rims
one for door jambs/underhood
one for area around wheel wells
Old 04-29-2005, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all i use the chamois for is to dry the car after im done washing it. i go to one of those do it urself places where they have the spray gun, and then after im done washing the car i use the chamois to dry it, so it doesn't leave water marks.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:42 PM
Banned
SL Member

there's ur problem.. those spray guns dont' get CRAP off the car..
Old 04-29-2005, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tamago is right, if you're going to a car wash that utilizes a spray gun, you're not really washing the car and it's probably not good to dry the car with anything.

Those things don't really get all the dirt off like a good hand was would. If you do go to a place like that at least use the brush to was your car and be VERY careful on the paint, then you might have removed the dirt and grim.

Right now you're removing most of the dirt with the Chamois which might be scratching your paint and is at least scratching up your clearcoat. If you have no real choice but to use the gun, then let the car air dry or risk damage to your already fragile paint.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah they do..just keep it waxed
Old 05-03-2005, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how is the chamois damaging my paint?? the whole point of the chamois is to dry your car and it won't damage the paint right?
Old 05-06-2005, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If there is dirt on your chamois and you continue using it, you are risking your paint to scratches. Chamois are cheap go buy a new one, i recommend the absorber, its the best chamois i have ever used.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only way to really wash your car is by hand. No machine, no sprayer is going to get the dirt off... period! Get yourself a fleece wash mitt or car wash sponge (the mitt is preferred). Use dishwasing detergent and warm water. Only 1 cap (1 oz.) of soap per gallon of water.

If your car has any dirt on it, mist the car first to allow the dirt to absorb the water then spray the car with force to get the dirt off. If you use force first the dirt may scratch the paint coming off.

Using the mitt and soapy water, start at the top of the car and work down wiping the painted and plastic areas. Don't forget inside the wheel wells where the painted body tucks under. Machines don't clean here. That is one reason I hand-wash. Rinse off each side of the car as you finish it so no soap dries. Rinse as often as you need to.

Next, I open each door and wash the door sills and jams plus the painted areas of the doors up to the gasket. Machines and sprayers don't clean here either. I also clean inside the gas fuel door. Under the hood I clean the front radiator brace, strut, shock mounts and cowling gasket area. Rinse the engine area. Close everything up except the fuel door.

Wash the windows. Give the car a final rinse and focus on getting water inside all the jams.

Chamois the car. Don't foret inside the jams. Wash the windows with glass cleaner and paper towel or cotton towel. Wash the wheels with wheel cleaner. Wash tires with tire cleaner. Spray tires with tire treatment.

You can now move to the inside but at this point you have a beautiful ride.

Old 05-06-2005, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by BigBaby
Tamago is right, if you're going to a car wash that utilizes a spray gun, you're not really washing the car and it's probably not good to dry the car with anything.

Those things don't really get all the dirt off like a good hand was would. If you do go to a place like that at least use the brush to was your car and be VERY careful on the paint, then you might have removed the dirt and grim.

Right now you're removing most of the dirt with the Chamois which might be scratching your paint and is at least scratching up your clearcoat. If you have no real choice but to use the gun, then let the car air dry or risk damage to your already fragile paint.

NOOOOOOO!!! NEVER use the brushes at the carwash. Those things are too rough to begin with, then people use them under their cars and to clean off mud and crap. You might as well just wet your hands, dip them in some sand and give it a good rubdown.

I like to take my bucket, soap and mitt with me to the carwash and just use the sprayer for wetting and rinsing. Put the minimum amount in, suds up the bucket,spray the car down until time runs out. Wash it down, drop more $$ in and rinse it down nice. Then I drive it home and give it a good rubdown with The Absorber. I've gotten to like it more than using the hose at home, plus I can go wash it anytime of the night and not have to wait for the weekend.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Mannn all ur doin is just remvoing excess dirt .. thats it. Ur not pullin anypaint what so ever. If you were scratchin it you would see it. Do you see any scratches what so ever ? To clean it. poor it in soapywater. and twist and clean it. Do it like twenty times. When done ... NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRR leave a chamey dry. Always keep it moist (not soaked in water) when you put it back. I use the container mine came with and i put it exactly how it came but a lil wet.