Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

changing gear oil on 5spd question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

just an FYI.. the scion manual recommends GL4 or GL5........
Old 05-27-2005, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, so let me get this straight.

Some people are using regular mobil synthetic oil, 5w 30
some people are using redline mt-90
and some people are saying that those are bad.

I am sorry, but i am so clueless right now, and i been reading alot but some seem a little bias, and i am sitting at 15k without knowing about this, and i am sort of worried.

So can more people comment on this subject, also can someone make a write up or directions on how to do this change?

Like i read you have to pull one plug before the other?

thanks for your time.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tamago
Originally Posted by Dr. Isotope
According to the service manual, the MTF isn't even set for inspection until the 30k mark. It's only recommended for replacement at 60k if the vehicle is used in "special conditions".

Why shouldn't you put regular Mobil One in a transmission? Synthetic oils are too slick. Transmissions generally appreciate a fluid with a friction enhancer, seeing as how they rely on the meshing of gears to operate. There is absolutely no reason under the sun not to be using Toyota MTF in the trans... of course, there's no need to be replacing it at 10k miles, either.

But hey... get on with your bad self.
your first 10K miles are the toughest on the transmission.. why NOT clean that crap outta there?

but hey, stick with your "toyota recommended" if you want.. i'll stick with common sense.
why spend money and time when you dont have too? ill wait till 60K thanks. plus if anything goes wrong tranny wise and im in my warranty and and it hasnt been touched. Im covered!!! personally from a Technicians standpoint. i wouldnt touch it untill the recomended mileage.

-Paul
Old 05-27-2005, 01:15 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by firesquare
According to the service manual, the MTF isn't even set for inspection until the 30k mark. It's only recommended for replacement at 60k if the vehicle is used in "special conditions".

Why shouldn't you put regular Mobil One in a transmission? Synthetic oils are too slick. Transmissions generally appreciate a fluid with a friction enhancer, seeing as how they rely on the meshing of gears to operate. There is absolutely no reason under the sun not to be using Toyota MTF in the trans... of course, there's no need to be replacing it at 10k miles, either.

your first 10K miles are the toughest on the transmission.. why NOT clean that crap outta there?

but hey, stick with your "toyota recommended" if you want.. i'll stick with common sense.
why spend money and time when you dont have too? ill wait till 60K thanks. plus if anything goes wrong tranny wise and im in my warranty and and it hasnt been touched. Im covered!!! personally from a Technicians standpoint. i wouldnt touch it untill the recomended mileage.

-Paul
time? 15mins
money? $5

and your warranty is NOT affected by changing fluids...
Old 05-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by unlimited77

thanks for your time.
no, no no no!! MOBIL1 GEAR OIL, not engine oil!!!

open your owners manual. use oil recommended for your transmission LISTED IN OWNERS MANUAL..
Old 05-28-2005, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

thanks for your time.
no, no no no!! MOBIL1 GEAR OIL, not engine oil!!!

open your owners manual. use oil recommended for your transmission LISTED IN OWNERS MANUAL..
Damn that coulda been a mess.................
Old 05-30-2005, 08:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a question... when you do the change.. when adding more fluid do you have to turn the engine on.. i know for an auto you have to.. but a manual i don't know... and also after reading .. i'm guessing redline mt90 is the way to go...
Old 05-31-2005, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by jbae1221
i have a question... when you do the change.. when adding more fluid do you have to turn the engine on.. i know for an auto you have to.. but a manual i don't know... and also after reading .. i'm guessing redline mt90 is the way to go...
no need for engine on..I like Amsoil over Redline and I have used both........
Old 06-06-2005, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by firesquare

-Paul
Bump^^^^

The factory gear oil is like Wesson (cooking oil) and the stuff I replaced (MT-90) is like Gold Honey. From a technicians standpoint you should know they put in crap (NooB).
My gearing was very notchy and shifted harsh, but now it's like finding my favorite parking spot at the beach.....
Old 06-06-2005, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am sorry, but i am so clueless right now, and i been reading alot but some seem a little bias, and i am sitting at 15k without knowing about this, and i am sort of worried.

So can more people comment on this subject, also can someone make a write up or directions on how to do this change?

Like i read you have to pull one plug before the other?

thanks for your time.

MT-90 is the best, because it's designed to protect syncros even during cold and hot temp..... It has been tested and proven, for my own experience and many others.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xB, IIRC, calls for gear oil, not transmission fluid.
I'll stick with the specified weights that the manual recommends, but I'm definately going synthetic. I've used Redline MTL in my previous car and it made a huge difference in shifter feel. I'll probably use Redline 75w-90 NS. I believe that's within Scion's recommended weight ranges for the xB's 5-spd.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So i am going to buy some Redline MT 90 this weekend and plan on doing the change but i was wondering for the tc how to do this change?

I looked but dont really understand what i am looking for?

And is there any no no's i should look for like doing an oil change its wise to plug the plug back in before pouring the oil in ^_^

cause i thought i read something abou taking one plug out before the other.

thanks for all your help it really cleared up my cloud of misconception.

thanks
Old 06-09-2005, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, first off :
Know damn well that you're draining the transmission and not something else. Since I don't have a tC, I can't help you w/ what to look for.
Tips:
Look in your manual and find out just how much fluid your transmission requires.
Warm fluid flows a little better than cold fluid. Don't burn yourself, though!

Fill and drain plugs - there's usually 2 plugs on your tranny. 1 to fill the tranny (usually on top of the tranny) and one to drain (usually down low on the tranny). Make sure you can get the fill plug open before you drain all the fluid out.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:17 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Derk-xB
The xB, IIRC, calls for gear oil, not transmission fluid.
I'll stick with the specified weights that the manual recommends, but I'm definately going synthetic. I've used Redline MTL in my previous car and it made a huge difference in shifter feel. I'll probably use Redline 75w-90 NS. I believe that's within Scion's recommended weight ranges for the xB's 5-spd.

Let me get this straight... so Redline MT-90 is gear oil, i've seen it called transmission oil/ lubricant. I'm a newb, help.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I just changed mine today at a little over 40K. The fluid was a lot darker than I expected and had a lot of gold metallic shimmer to it. I'm hoping that's normal wear. I replaced the fluids with Mobil 1 gear oil.

From what I saw I wouldn't recommend waiting until 60K to change the tranny oil. They also recommend 5000 miles for engine oil but most people do it at 3000. No sense in taking any chances. Trannys and engines are expensive to replace.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:44 AM
TJ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just changed the MTF to Redline MT-90 at 38k miles. 1.9 Liters on the dot. There is a smoother transition between gears.

29 fl/lb torque on both bolts and a 15/16" socket.

be aware that the fluid will spill out very fast and you could get fluid all over the ground.
(happened to me) :clap:

I would recommend this. 7.95 / Qt at Summit Racing.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2AZ-FEtC
The factory gear oil is like Wesson (cooking oil)
More like water with some dye added. It might be able to protect your skin while shaving but I doubt it can protect the gears in your transmission very well.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone have experience with Royal Purple Max-Gear?

They make it in 75W-90 and it's API certification is GL-5. Our manual states that for an xA, we should use 2.0 quarts of 75W-90, GL-4 or GL-5. Royal Purple's website also says that it is not corrosive to soft metals, so it should be safe to use in that regard.

Anyhow, opinions?
Old 12-12-2005, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

since where on the topic....i know redline is really good gear oil and i also heard a lot of good things about royal purple gear oil....what do you think about royal purple over redline?
Old 12-29-2005, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

I switched to Mobil-1 Synthetic Gear oil at 20,000 Miles, After about 5,000 miles I started grinding into 3rd gear whenever the transmission got hot. I usualy race the xB on the weekends, so that might have also caused the problem. I've used Mobil-1 in the engine also (5W-30) And I noticed more engine noise at idle than normal. I switched back to Castol Synthetic Blend (5W-30) and it runs way better than the Mobil-1 in my opinion. So now I'm going to try the Motul Technosynthse 75W-90 Gear oil.

My recomendations:
-Engine oil: Castrol Synthetic Blend 5W-30 (K&N Oil filter also)
- Gear oil: Anything but Mobil-1 (Maybe Motul Ask me in about a week!)

Quick Reply: changing gear oil on 5spd question...