Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Doors Won't Unlock

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Doors Won't Unlock

i don't know if anyone else has experienced this problem, but at times, my doors will not unlock. it doesnt seem to come at any specific time, just sparadically. when i go to unlock it, either the driver of passenger side will try to unlock, but only go around half way. im gonna try to bring it in for warranty, but i don't know how i can prove it since its so random.

also, my turn signal is blinking double rate like a modified honda's. but only when i signal right. when i signal left, it goes at a normal rate?? any reason why it is doing this?
Old 03-09-2005, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

you have a bulb out on the right side....
Old 03-09-2005, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ ditto.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

ok here is waht u do about the locks and this gose for all electrical probs. in your car. lift the driver side door handal 5 times with in 2 sec. then put the key in to the lock and turn in back and forth 15 time with in 10 seconds then turn around jump 3 times well singing the theam song to it's a small world after all. and then jump in to the car as fast as u can turn it on and get your @$$ to the dealer to tell them is not working right..... Sorry i could not be of more help. just had to make this bad news funny but hey this is why are cars are new and coverd under worenty for almost 99.999% of the things that go wrong with it.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Pimpe_Ok
ok here is waht u do about the locks and this gose for all electrical probs. in your car. lift the driver side door handal 5 times with in 2 sec. then put the key in to the lock and turn in back and forth 15 time with in 10 seconds then turn around jump 3 times well singing the theam song to it's a small world after all. and then jump in to the car as fast as u can turn it on and get your @$$ to the dealer to tell them is not working right..... Sorry i could not be of more help. just had to make this bad news funny but hey this is why are cars are new and coverd under worenty for almost 99.999% of the things that go wrong with it.
hahah...i almost thought u were serious for a split second...

ill have to check for a burt out bulb, thanks
Old 03-14-2005, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

sorry couldn't be of any help.........hope u not mad...
Old 03-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Red
5 Year Member

Default Door won't unlock

I am having the same problem with my front driver's side door lock. When I use the remote to unlock the door, the door lock button inside the car only appears to move half-way. I can lift the door handle, and the door will open approximately 1/8 inch but then remains stuck/locked. In order to unlock the door, I have to use the key (I know, people have been doing it that way for years but why have a remote lock/unlocker if it doesn't work?). The other day I noticed that once I was in the car, even the interior lock/unlock button on the armrest would not move the door lock button the whole way. It appears to happen on cold mornings because once the car warms up, it works fine. Doesn't happen when I leave work in the evening, even though it has been cold all day; so maybe the car just wants to sleep in later. All my other locks work properly. I brought it in to be checked out but they could not find anythign wrong with it. Unfortunately with spring right around the corner, I am thinking that the warranty might run out before the cold weather returns. Anyone else have a similar problem? Solutions?
Old 06-20-2006, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member

i have been sitting in my car and i used the remote to lock my door, then i tried to used the switch on the door and the doors will stay locked. I dont know if that helps or not
Old 06-20-2006, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member

Having same problem here. It has happened on driver's and passenger's sides now. Always when we are inside the car.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member

Default Hello all

Hi guys....

I am a Scion Rep for a dealership in Southern California. I'm kind of new to the forums, but I do have a lot of experience working in the parts/service dept. and so I will do what I can to throw some help from a dealership standpoint. As far as why your locks arent working, it could be a number of things that arent working correctly on it. Your best bet however, is to take it into the dealership and let them cover it under warranty like you said. BUT, they are not going to do anything unless they are able to recreate the problem. They are probably gonna ask that you leave the car for an extended period of time so that they can try and recreate the issue. If they cant recreate the problem, they aren't going to be able to do anything. If the problem becomes more often, feel free to bring it back in at your convenience, being that the parts alone for the repair would be quite expensive. As for the blinking....back in the day we used to take the wires and just barely touch em together to get that effect...on your new car, its most likely not a problem with the wiring itself, but rather with the relay or the switch. Anyways, if they is any way that I can help out with prices or questions, or wiring diagrams, or whatever, just shoot me a message. I'm hear to help. Sorry for the long message...

Brandon Wind
Scion Rep Toyota Chula Vista
brandon@toyotacv.com
(619)591-0900
Old 06-20-2006, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In the old days we would just get out the grease and lube everything and the problem would go away. Nowadays we have people that can't fix cars, and warrantys.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by io333
In the old days we would just get out the grease and lube everything and the problem would go away. Nowadays we have people that can't fix cars, and warrantys.
hahaha very ture....whatever happened to those good ol days?
Old 06-21-2006, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member

I'm a mechanic who works all day on ag equipment, and I don't feel like spending my free time working on automotive equipment as well. I am formerly an ASE certified automotive tech and am perfectly capable of taking the panel off and checking it out, but if someone has an easy solution, I'm going to use it. That's why these communities are so great. You don't have so much trial and error situations when you have mechanical problems. There will always be someone else out there with the same problem and maybe even someone with a simple solution. Work smart not hard. Besides, the whole point (for me) of buying a new car built by Toyota was the apparent quality of their vehicles and I spent good money for a warranty that fully covers these problems. Save the " In the old days, we used to...." stuff for your kids.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member

Just trying to help...
Old 06-21-2006, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by deerebot
I'm a mechanic who works all day on ag equipment, and I don't feel like spending my free time working on automotive equipment as well. I am formerly an ASE certified automotive tech and am perfectly capable of taking the panel off and checking it out, but if someone has an easy solution, I'm going to use it. That's why these communities are so great. You don't have so much trial and error situations when you have mechanical problems. There will always be someone else out there with the same problem and maybe even someone with a simple solution. Work smart not hard. Besides, the whole point (for me) of buying a new car built by Toyota was the apparent quality of their vehicles and I spent good money for a warranty that fully covers these problems. Save the " In the old days, we used to...." stuff for your kids.

Well said. I was just being a cranky old man.

Old 06-21-2006, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In all seriousness though, I would guess that the solution probably *is* to take the door panel off and lube up the mechanism. It would probably be a heck of a lot less trouble than dropping it off at the dealer -- and you could come back here and post and let us all know if it solved the problem -- then that info could be added to the FAQ.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks. I happen to have a cruise control kit I'm installing tomorrow. Maybe I'll dig into the matter.