Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Engine Issues or Paranoia?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Engine Issues or Paranoia?

Did some quick searches and did not find this exact problem on any posts, if it has been posted just point me in the right direction... I present this problem to you, the Lords and Ladies of Scion Life, before I take my Automatic xB to the dealer to have it checked out. I am a simple man when it comes down to heavy mechanics knowledge, so this may me being paranoid and/or stupid.

The xB is about at 2500 miles, bought in April. Around 2000 miles I noticed that the vehicle seems to hold back a little instead of fully coasting when I release the gas pedel. It almost feels like a downshift, but the RPMs do not seem to change enough to be one. It just feels like the car tries to slow down a bit, as if I was slightly braking. I had not experienced this before that above estimated mileage.

Today I also noticed that the car seems to struggle a bit when changing gears. It doesn't seem to be responding as well when changing... if I just haul ___ from the line and push the engine ia little more it doesn't seem so bad, but I don't want to have to do that all the time. This also, is something I had not noticed before.

I just recently had new wheels/tires put on, Enkei RS6 16x7 with Toyo Proxy4s 205/50. I vaguely remember the first problem happening BEFORE this installation, but I am not 100% sure. I know that the place that installed the wheels said that they did not have the alignment specs for Scions, and that they called Toyota and were told that the Echo specs should do fine. They told me that they should get the Scion specs downloaded soon and that they'd realign it free of charge when they do.

I also put a phatty TRD oil cap on the engine (what is that, an extra 2hp? ). Other than that, nothing has been changed, and everything is straight from the dealer.

Anyone else noticing this? Comments, Suggestions, Harsh insults? Thanks in advance for any help.

*EDIT*

Also, FYI I had the AEM CAI and TRD Exhaust dealer installed.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member

You said the answer to your problem, its the aftermarket wheels, they are causing a greater "rolling resistance" therefore slowing you down.........
Old 05-17-2004, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

yeah, with the automatics...when you change your wheels, you have to upgrade your shift monkey. The shift monkey that comes stock is only good for 15"x5.5" wheels on 185/60-15 tires...

btw, the oil cap that we have is already cool enough for me...it's "like..totally" JDM!
Old 05-17-2004, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I didn't know this! Thanks for the heads up, hope I didn't make too much of an ___ out of myself.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

sorry, I was joking... (PM'd)

"I'm sorry, dude. I was just joking with you. Before I had a car, I was scared to drive stick, so I said I'd buy a shift monkey (you know, the animal?) to shift for me.

But serious, you might want to reset your ECU (take the negative cable off the battery for 5 minutes, then put it back on). Be warned, it'll reset your radio presets as well. Resetting your ECU will allow the computer to remap itself and should accomodate the wheels (maybe?). You only have 16" wheels, so it isn't a HUGE difference (compared to 18-19". If anything it's paranoia...but resetting the ECU should help."
Old 05-17-2004, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

My "heads up" response was more towards the resistance reply

I appreciate the tip via PM, it's now reset. We'll see what happens.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:20 AM
Banned
SL Member

Reset the monkey??? I have installed the 17s on my ride, and no shift problems here. I did notice that the xB runs in the lower gear while still cold, and even when it finally warms up, it kicks the tranny into a better riding gear.