Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

first oil change......

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: first oil change......

Originally Posted by svt_to_xb
We'll I did my first oil change this weekend. I used a castrol synthetic blend. What a difference in smoothness and power. It seems like I don't have to press the gas as hard to keed a consistant speed. I highly recommend it, especially when oil changes are called for every 5,000. Just my opinion.
The difference is all in your head...
Old 11-23-2005, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by mikem53
We'll I did my first oil change this weekend. I used a castrol synthetic blend. What a difference in smoothness and power. It seems like I don't have to press the gas as hard to keed a consistant speed. I highly recommend it, especially when oil changes are called for every 5,000. Just my opinion.
Actually it's a proven fact that synthetic oil has an effect on engine output. Sure it's a small increase, but it still exists nontheless.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mikem53
You really like me don't you.LOL.
Then I must be going crazy because I never felt a difference like this. Ask almost anyone on this forum if they feel a difference when they switch to synthetic. They most likely will say yes. If its all in my head, thank god, cause at least it makes me feel better swithing to it.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:23 AM

well, IF i switch to Synthetic, do i also need to change my Tranny to Synthetic oil as well? let's me know im kinda confuse since no one really mention about that, thanks
Old 12-04-2007, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by leo3000
well, IF i switch to Synthetic, do i also need to change my Tranny to Synthetic oil as well? let's me know im kinda confuse since no one really mention about that, thanks
You can switch to Mobil 1 oil without having to do anything to the trans till it's time.
Is it auto or stick?
Old 12-05-2007, 06:25 PM

It's a Auto
Old 12-05-2007, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Royal Purple FTMFW! Mobil one is not a true synthetic, they use ultra-refined petroleum based stocks. Still I would go with Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Redline, or *German* Castrol oils. The difference is not in the guys head. Synthetics reduce internal frictions on parts, allowing them to move freer. The was a test using Royal Purple in a motor, tranny and rear diff and it got a couple of ponies out of it. Can't remember how man, but it was enough to make a difference. Synthetics are just naturally better all around for motors, trannys, and diffs.

Leo, is yours a tC? I know the tC can only use Toyotas ATF due to them creating it specifically for their transmissions. It last over 100k per change and if you use another brand/type, you will void the warranty on it according to the dealership b/c no other type of ATF is to be used due to slippage and other stuff.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MikeC
The difference is most likely from the weight of oil used. Thinner oils will free up movement within the engine, but at the same time are not recomended for lower temperatures. So if SVT_TO_XB went with a lighter weight oil than what was previously in his engine, that would explain the notice in performance.

I myself belive only in Mobile 1 synthetics. If Porsche, and Mercedes use them from the factory then it is darn well good enough for my toaster. *two cents*
Huh?

Why would thinner oils not be recommnded for lower temperatures? Thats what they are partially designed for.

As far as your M1 comment, you cant go but what other manufactures use. You have to go by what your engine tells you it likes and you do that by having a used oil analysis. That said, M1 shows higher wear numbers than Penz Platnium in the xBs motor. There is nor one-size-fits-all answer to the question of what is the best oil.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:10 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by amdforever
Royal Purple FTMFW! Mobil one is not a true synthetic, they use ultra-refined petroleum based stocks. Still I would go with Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Redline, or *German* Castrol oils.
yep