Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

How is RainX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How is RainX?

Work any good?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It works a treat.

Rain beads, wind shields clear themselves at higher speeds with no need for wipers, it goes on great and if applied correctly is streak free.

unless......

If it's raining crazy hard, or you aren't going fast and you use your wipers it has a tendency to 'smear' the rain rather than have a clean swipe across with the wiper blade.

For this reason I stopped using it.

It is however a totally nightmare to actually get it removed. I've scotch pad scrubbed with good detergent and it's still doing it.

I'll probably get new wipers as I'm sure they are 'tainted'.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:23 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I love the stuff! I have been using it for years and have found that the harder it rains the less I even NEED the wipers!

The only downside I have found is that it wears off rather quickly if you are in a lot of rain... maybe in a couple of weeks. You have to re-apply it often during the rainy season.

Also, if you apply it on a sunny day you will have streaks on your windshield. I usually apply it, let it sit for a bit, then take a clean papertowel and buff it down.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It works very well. But, you do have to replace it periodically depending on how much rain you get.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have used it for 10 years or so and love it. I have never had the smearing issue mentioned above though. It makes my wipers work even better, when I need them. As someone mentioned, at low speeds harder and larger rain actually makes mine bead off much better. At high speeds it works even better! It also makes dirt and bugs much easier to remove.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Excellent product.

Im in Cali so I could probably remove ALL the wipers on the xb and never miss 'em.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you have a thing about clean windshields, use Rain-X. You won't be disappointed. If you don't want to spend any time cleaning your windshield well, don't even try it.

My experience does not match Limey's. I suspect that the streaking he experienced might have been due to an old application. You need to re-apply periodically (using the wipers will eventually cause the Rain-X to be worn away)

As Rain-X wears, you'll start to get smeared areas where the wipers change direction. When you start seeing that, it's time to reapply.

As ScionLife says, you do have to buff it down. It's easier to see any remaining streaks in some sort of light. I usually keep a small towel in the car so if I see areas I didn't buff well, I can get them the next time I stop.

I've been using Rain-X for many years now.

I just got off the phone with the Rain-X people. They told me the two most common causes of smearing are putting Rain-X on immediately after using an ammonia based cleaner, and putting it on too thick.

They also told me that to remove it the best product was SoftScrub (the very light abrasive bathroom cleaner)
Old 11-30-2005, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Also, if it leaves streaks and haze, do exactly as the directions say and use a little water. Sprinkle a few drops around and buff lightly and the haze and streaks will dissappear
Old 11-30-2005, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I shaved my rear wiper and use Rain-X on the back window only. It leaves the glass a little "hazy" but it works...

-THE DON
Old 11-30-2005, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been using it for a few years now myself, and I agree it works great. I personally use the rain x windshield washer fluid additive. It works just as good as the original.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mal, you get rain at Edwards!???
Old 11-30-2005, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I love it! I was using the Rain-X wipes that come pre-moistened and the Anti fog ones for the inside. I just bought this funky Rain-X applicator thing that works pretty well.

At good speed with a fair amount of water, it's actually easier to see with the wipers off and the water just streaming. At least sometimes. The other day when it was raining, I just had them on intermittent when most peeps were on high. It's a must for the xB rear window as that wiper is all but useless, especially since it's no longer attached.

I need to do my wife's van so she can see...
Old 12-02-2005, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i use it and love it, i need to reapply in now that winter is here. if you live in a snowy place, this will totally save you, ice doesn't stick to the glass as easily as it does without it...so much nicer when your in a hurry in the morning and can just use your wipers to clear your glass.

i how the rain drops stream upwards when youdrive faster than 35 mph, trippy
Old 12-02-2005, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love it. I put a coat on in June when I got the car and will need to reapply now that it has been in a lot of weather and for winter. Its nice on the tC rear window since it doesn't have a wiper it helps with visability there. I will also add that I'm only re-applying on the front b/c the wipers have worn it down but all the other windows( sides, roof, rear) don't need another application yet. I used the mist water on the winow method to take off the rain-x cause I think I used too much initially.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have no experience with it, but I think it was RockBlocker that had some new Rain-X type stuff for sale. IIRC it was like $15 for enough to do just the windshield but it was supposed to last a lot longer than Rain-X.

Just thought I'd throw that into the convo. Anybody tried it?
Old 12-02-2005, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm. For $15 for one application, it better last YEARS.

I'd try it if they gave a sample, or lowered the price to be competitive.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like rain x but I did not have a good experience with their anti-fog stuff. Didn't work at all. (on a previous car, not the scions)

On the tC it made a world of difference on the left side of windshield by the A-pillar I used to get a HUGE quantity of water just built up on the window any time I was on a road that curved to the left and between that and the wide a-pillar it was hard to see a dang thing. Put on rain-x and it was almost as good as having it not even rain.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

love rain-x. best car product, i swear. there are not that many products out for cars and /or in general that makes such a big difference with a low cost and easy application. it just conditions the glass and makes even the $hittiest wipers work great. i don't even work for the damn co. but i promote it to everyone i know, especially the skeptics, and i am one of the biggest skeptics i know.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:25 AM
5 Year Member

I was wondering if anybody has put rain-x on their tc roofs. since it's an all glass roof.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haven't put it on anything but the windshield, but I love it!!! It will surprise you because in light rain at night, you won't even see the droplets of water on the windshield untill you drive under a light, then you'll see how much water is on it..

Quick Reply: How is RainX?