Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

How to reset light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member

Default How to reset light flashing

Since the dealership is giving me free oil changes I got my oil changed at 3,000 miles but when I got up to 5,000 recently the maintence required button started blinking a few times when I turned on my car, finally the owner's manual was consulted and I found that it meant I should get my oil changed. Is there any way I can reset the oil change thing so the light stops blinking without going back to the dealership or some place that does oil? I am figuring on it just being a switch somewhere. I am pretty sure the button turned on just because I got about 5,000 miles which is when the recommend that I change my oil. Thanks for everyone's help in advance.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Contributed by eric m.

After you've driven your Scion for a few thousand miles, you will see a "maintenance required" orange light flash for a few seconds in the center display console every time you start your car. Do not be alarmed. this is just a reminder to have your oil changed. If you change your own oil, you can reset the light. here is how:
1. Turn on the ignition and make sure it is on your odometer display, not the trip display.
2. Turn off your ignition. Hold down the trip meter reset button and turn the ignition on. Keep the button pushed in.
3. The maintenance required light will flash for a few seconds. when it turns off, let go of the reset button.

The the display will change for 1 second and go back to the mileage. That's it.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20749
Old 12-09-2004, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks I will try that the next time I step into my car
Old 12-09-2004, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Make sure your display is set to the main odometer. Then turn the car off, press and hold the control **** and turn the key to the on position (don't start the car). You should see 5 or so bars at the bottom of the display and they will dissapear after a few seconds. When they are gone the mileage counter will be reset and the light will quit flashing.