Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

i dont wanna ruin my new paint!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 06:57 AM
5 Year Member

Default i dont wanna ruin my new paint!

like i stated before, my o6 tc is brand new.

even though its only a week old, its pretty dirty

I was wondering if washing, waxing, polishing would do anything to the factory paint because i know if you get a new paint job you should wait a lil bit before washing/waxing/polishing.

oh yea, and how often would it be okay to wash my car. once a week kill the paint?

these may seem like the dumbest questions in the world to all you experts but i dont want to ruin my paint!!
Old 11-03-2005, 07:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

washing your car does not hurt it that is why clear coat is on and by washing your car once a week will only protect that clear coat...you basically give it a nice coat of wax meguiars ntx is da funk...then you wax maybe once a month depending on conditions especially when water no longer beeds off...you have to wash it everyweek because harsh deposits and grime can hurt your paint if not properly maintained
Old 11-03-2005, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Spend 5 minutes a day (max.) cleaning your ride with a California Car Duster. You will be amazed how much dirt you can pull off with that thing every day.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

The only time you have to worry about washing/polishing/waxing new paint is when the paint from somewhere like a body shop. Factory paint from an automaker is cured at the factory by putting the car through a high temperature oven. You can do whatever you want to factory paint as soon as you get the car because the outgassing and curing has already occurred in the oven. Body shops dont bake the car, this is why you wait a bit to do anything to a paintjob from there.

I recommend that you pick up a number of sheepskin wash mitts, 2 five gallon wash buckets, meguiar's gold class wash shampoo (nxt wash can be used, but i have found it rather harsh on my waxes), a clay magic clay bar kit, eagle one a2z wheel/tire cleaner, meguiar's hot shine tire shine, and both meguiar's #7 show car glaze and Meguiar's #26 yellow wax. These products combined with have your car looking amazing. You can also think of picking up a california car duster, some meguiars quick detailer spray, meguiars quik wax spray, and some decent microfiber towels to maintain your wax job.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you want to do it yourself buy a buffer (-$200) about two buffer pieces to polish your car