Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

need engine codes from a CEL.... how do I get them?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scinergy

Default need engine codes from a CEL.... how do I get them?

Anyone reading the header threads will know that I have the Megan header and love it, but still have a CEL even after applying the antifouler "fix." I would like to get the check engine code from the ECU. Is there any trick for getting this?

My tC is in for an oil change today, so I asked the dealer about giving me the code. They said it would be an hour's diagnostic charge @ $79, which seems outrageous to me. It should be a 5-minute process to simply return the code, right? I was pretty clear that I did not want any "diagnostic" work to identify the cause of the CEL. I already KNOW what the cause is. I just want to know which specific code is being returned.

The only experience I have with engine codes is on my Miata. I know that a "driveway" diagnostic can be done by connecting two pins on the ECU diagnostic connector. This causes the check engine light to flash in a pattern which indicates the code. This is in addition to the "proper" way of getting the code -- through a tech computer.

Is there any sort of "driveway diagnostic" method with the Scion tC? If not, am I totally off base to think that the Scion tech should be able to give me the code in the matter of a few minutes?

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2005, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the diagnostic charge is for the dealers trouble of hooking up the diagnosis computer and translating the code that is displayed on the computer screen......the reason it's $79/hr is because labor is generally rounded up to the 1/2 hour or hour
Old 04-08-2005, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Im a psychic. I see......... P0420 - Catalyst efficiency below threshold.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The car still runs right? Take it to your local auto parts store and have them read it for you. Here in AZ they will not only read it for you for free but also erase the trouble code for you.

Hope this helps,
Old 04-08-2005, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^i didn't even think of that.........auto zone will run it for ya!!!
Old 04-08-2005, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scinergy

AutoZone will do it? Cool, I'll look into that! Thanks. I understand that the dealer may round labor charges up to the nearest 1/2 hour, but sheesh. If AutoZone can do it for free, that means it is likely to take all of 5 minutes. Plug in the computer, get a code, unplug the computer. If my car is in the service bay ANYWAY, then my expectation is that they could do this at no charge or -- at worst -- a "nominal" charge. NOT a full hour's worth of labor.

I have no problem paying when the charges are fair. I don't whine about little stuff, and I frequently will pay for work even though I could do it myself. In this case, it's an unreasonable charge. I didn't ask for them to do a "diagnostic" for the purposes of giving me a repair quote. I just wanted to know the code from the computer. I was very specific about that.

Oh well.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

moved...
Old 04-08-2005, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I do not reccomend autozone for anything bu car wash products... even then I am cautious! Their parts are generally crap... and many private garages will not even use them if you ask. And I have seen them screw up peoples cars trying to help them. You can purchase an OBDII reader for a fairly cheap price if you look around. Keep in mind that this is a reader only. Lucky me... my father is a mechanic, so I use his 4000 dollar diagnostic tool But the reader is definitely worth it! I can hook one up and pull codes in all of about 10 minutes..... better than paying a dealership 80 bucks! And I know, some of them will tell you they have a tool that "tells you exactly what is wrong with your car" which DOES NOT EXIST! The diagnostic tool they use tells them what is out of range in the ECU readings. One issue can cause a chain reaction throughout the system. This is what seperates the guys who replace the 3-4 most liketly components until it is fixed (charging you for all of it), from the REAL technicians and private mechanics that will actually troubleshoot until they find the real issue. I know... this is getting a bit off topic... but the mechanics /techs I know that are good at what they do receive cars every day that other dealerships/techs have worked on, charged the customer a boatload of money, and did not fix... so just warning everyone.

So... to stop my rambling.... purchase a reader. If you know the code, and have some experience in automotive systems, you can use that knowledge to track down the cause of the code.

I am guessing you are receiving the catalyst error mentioned in a post above. The antifouler pulls the second O2 sensor out of the flow a little so that there is a difference in readings between them... which is what the ECU expects. You can add a second antifouler to increase this difference (stacking them). I am planning on just building a simulator circuit to add to mine when I get the header (yes, I am an electroncis geek )
Old 04-08-2005, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

To read a CEL, you can buy a OBDII reader. I got one from Ebay for about $40. It comes with a booklet that will define the codes given to you by the reader.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scinergy

thanks everyone. i found an obdii reader on ebay and it's on the way.

and i know all too well about the "replace until it's fixed" mentality with dealers. i'm struggling with that one now at a local mazda dealer. my miata has an electrical problem and the tech seems to think it's my non-OEM battery causing the problem. he says "the battery is too big so it's pushing too much current through the system." uh... the system DRAWS current, the battery doesn't PUSH it. oh well, that's a long story for some other thread.

anyway, when i get the reader i'll post about the code i get.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by engifineer
This is what seperates the guys who replace the 3-4 most liketly components until it is fixed (charging you for all of it), from the REAL technicians and private mechanics that will actually troubleshoot until they find the real issue.
Wow....my sentiments exactly. (yes off topic.) Too many repair people in many areas, appliances, computers, autos etc. just read the code and never "shoot" the problem causing the code. That is the reason I gave up my 2nd Mercury Mystique for an xA.
Haven't been to a Ford dealer in the NW NJ area that could fix a car beyond replacing parts called out by codes over and over again until the codes all go away.

Hoping I have better luck with Toyota service.

NJTrout
Old 04-11-2005, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by RacerZack
thanks everyone. i found an obdii reader on ebay and it's on the way.

and i know all too well about the "replace until it's fixed" mentality with dealers. i'm struggling with that one now at a local mazda dealer. my miata has an electrical problem and the tech seems to think it's my non-OEM battery causing the problem. he says "the battery is too big so it's pushing too much current through the system." uh... the system DRAWS current, the battery doesn't PUSH it. oh well, that's a long story for some other thread.

anyway, when i get the reader i'll post about the code i get.
Give that guy a lesson in electricity and tell him to find a new job!!! I dont expect everyone to be engineers or anything... but ANY mechanic/tech should know better than that bs!!! I = V/R ...... dont car how many amps the battery is rated for! I cant believe they would even let that guy work in a shop!..... but then again.. my father gets a huge amount of his business from dealerships who dont know their ___ from a hole in the ground It is sad that those kind of people actually pass their certification not even knowing basic (and I mean 7th grade level) electricity! Not at all bashing certification, but some of the worst techs I have seen have an ASE patch on their sleeve... and the best I know learned by being taught AND by experience. Those people make all of the talented certified techs and mechanics in general look bad!
Old 04-11-2005, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by NJTrout
Originally Posted by engifineer
This is what seperates the guys who replace the 3-4 most liketly components until it is fixed (charging you for all of it), from the REAL technicians and private mechanics that will actually troubleshoot until they find the real issue.
Wow....my sentiments exactly. (yes off topic.) Too many repair people in many areas, appliances, computers, autos etc. just read the code and never "shoot" the problem causing the code. That is the reason I gave up my 2nd Mercury Mystique for an xA.
Haven't been to a Ford dealer in the NW NJ area that could fix a car beyond replacing parts called out by codes over and over again until the codes all go away.

Hoping I have better luck with Toyota service.

NJTrout
I feel for ya man..... one of the main places I was talking about that my dad gets business from is a Ford dealership... you know, the ones who tell the customer they have a tool that just tells them what is wrong with their car I feel blessed that my father took the time (and I actually listened) to teach me how to fix my own since I was old enough to hold a wrench so I dont have to deal with shops (unless of course it is warranty work.... which we hope will not come along on the tC )