Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

oil change

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default oil change

i would like to change oil on my own. the problem is i never have changed oil before. is it hard to do it? what should i buy and what do i need? my friend said xB got 3 different oils which i need to change every 5k miles or so.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's not hard, but you should get someone to help you the first time. You need to be sure you are draining the right fluid. I've heard of someone draining out all the automatic transmission fluid and then overfilling the engine oil because he had never done it before and tried to do it by himself. I just think if you don't know the difference between youf different fluids that you really should get someone to show you the first time.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: oil change

Originally Posted by deaf
i would like to change oil on my own. the problem is i never have changed oil before. is it hard to do it? what should i buy and what do i need? my friend said xB got 3 different oils which i need to change every 5k miles or so.
I think your friend said your xB came with 3 FREE engine oil changes from any Toyota dealer (if you bought it new) and you're supposed to change the engine oil and filter every 5k miles. You can use them any time within the 3/36 warranty period. I'm saving mine for when it's either too cold to work in the garage or when I need to get the annual state inspection done.

If you want to change your own oil, it's a piece of cake. I agree that you should probably have someone experienced help if you've never done it before. It's not difficult, but screw it up and you could need to spend thousands on a new engine. You should probably drag that same person to the parts store (or even Walmart) to help you get what you need.

You'll need an oil drain pan, ramps (some say not needed, but it makes it a lot easier), a gallon milk jug (to take your used oil to a recycling place that accepts it, maybe not needed depending on your drain pan), a funnel, and a socket set (wrench, short extension, 12mm? socket for the drain plug). It helps if you have a filter socket that fits on the end of the oil filter. Especially true if it's the factory filter- although I think the OEM filters are slightly smaller than part store replacement filters. I made my filter socket fit well enough by putting a rag over the factory filter and wedging my filter socket on. Of course, you'll need a filter, 4 quarts of oil, and plenty of rags or paper towels for the mess you'll make the first time!
Old 11-05-2006, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I run the bigger factory filter there not any more expensive that the aftermarket ones , I pay $4.50 for a 90915-YZZF1 and it has an anti rollback valve so the filter stays full of oil for no dry starting your motor .. Hope this helps you !!!
Old 11-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

This walkthrough on an xB should help:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=127305
Old 11-05-2006, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The downside is transporting dirty oil to a recycler. Do not overtighten the filter--but check it for leaks. You can get a oil catch container that will let you drain the oil and then transport it without having to transfer it to another container. Good luck!