Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

oil pressure sensor electrical connector - could this be it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member

Default oil pressure sensor electrical connector - could this be it?

Just bought an XA with about 89K on it. Did an oil change on it today - first one since I bought it - and discovered something a little disconcerting while I was at it.

There's an electrical connector dangling loose from the lowermost portion of the timing chain cover, roundabout the oil drain plug (and presumably the oil pump). Could this be the oil pressure sensor connection? Or is it something else. Whatever it is, it isn't causing any trouble. Engine runs like a champ, and it isn't throwing the CEL. I've attached a photo for reference. Anybody know?
Attached Thumbnails oil pressure sensor electrical connector - could this be it?-scion_xa_2006_lower_time_chain_cover_electrical_connector.jpg  
Old 01-16-2014, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member

Default it's the crankshaft position sensor

Okay, folks. I did a little digging; and from what I uncovered, I'm almost positive it's the crankshaft position sensor. I'm also pretty certain that all is as it should be, despite the appearance that something is amiss with this connector.

You see, it appears as though there should be some wiring shooting out from the inside of that electrical tape. The thing is, though, the wiring is actually immediately directed the opposite way, back toward the intake side of the engine (instead of shooting out in the direction of the exhaust), almost as soon as it exits the connector. The evidence of this can be seen in the presence of the small length of black wiring loom (in the photo just in front of the connector).

If any of you get under the car for an oil change or anything else, please, let me know what it looks like. I really just need to get back under there to confirm my findings. Not going to happen until tomorrow at the earliest. Then, if all is good, I'm going to shrink wrap and tape the crap out of that connector, so there won't be anymore loose tape exposing any critical wiring.

I'll be back.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm guessing you did find the crank position sensor despite this horrible picture. I just see black tape and a piece of an oil pan and an accessory belt which is the only reason why I think it is that sensor is because the belt. The crank sensor will be next to your crankshaft pully, that's how you always tell. And I'm hoping this does have wirings coming out of it, and not just an open plug? I can't quit tell through your explanation if that is the case or not. Either way, that is what it is, and at some point someone had to mess with it. Maybe they ripped in on accident while changing a belt or something because that belt looks brand new.

Also, for future referrence, your oil pressure sensor is not in the oil pan. Good guess though, I can see why you'd think that. It is going to be a threaded hole in your block by your oil filter. Most cars don't come with this gauge, but they all come with the hole for the ability to monitor it if you choose.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by criminaltc
I'm guessing you did find the crank position sensor despite this horrible picture. I just see black tape and a piece of an oil pan and an accessory belt which is the only reason why I think it is that sensor is because the belt. The crank sensor will be next to your crankshaft pully, that's how you always tell. And I'm hoping this does have wirings coming out of it, and not just an open plug? I can't quit tell through your explanation if that is the case or not. Either way, that is what it is, and at some point someone had to mess with it. Maybe they ripped in on accident while changing a belt or something because that belt looks brand new.

Also, for future referrence, your oil pressure sensor is not in the oil pan. Good guess though, I can see why you'd think that. It is going to be a threaded hole in your block by your oil filter. Most cars don't come with this gauge, but they all come with the hole for the ability to monitor it if you choose.
Yep, it's all good. It is the crank position sensor connector and wiring, and it should look like that (despite the awful camera angle caused by the tight and cluttered confines of this area of the car ). The wiring exits the sensor traveling toward the exhaust side of the engine, then makes an immediate u-turn towards the intake side. As for the tape that's shown in the photo, all it does is hold that wiring u-turn nice and tight. It's doing its job just fine. The wiring is also protected by plastic loom. I got under there just a little bit ago, and decided to leave it alone. No worries. If anyone is as obsessive as I am about automobile. . . peculiarities. . . take this as a heads up. Gotta love new acquisitions!

Have fun
Old 01-17-2014, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool sounds good.