Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Post Accident Steering Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 02:32 AM

Default Post Accident Steering Issue

Hi all! I meant to join this forum when I bought my 2014 tC 2 months ago but haven't found the time to post everything I've wanted.. Anyway, i'm freaking out because I hit my tC on a median last week. THANK GOD there wasn't much damage besides scratched wheels and a small scrape.

The steering however, was off. The car was drifting to one side and there was a strong "whine" type noise when driving 50+ and even more so when turning. I brought it to the dealership and they checked it out. First they told me they did 3 alignments and it wasn't working so something must be bent. They kept it another day to look into it more. The next day, they said never mind we got it fixed you can pick it up. Mind you, this dealership SUCKS. I've had nothing but problems since I bought the car from them. I picked the car up and I asked what the problem was and they said the machine was off. I drove away and the car was driving straight and no apparent whine. I got on the highway and I hear the noise slightly again. I've taken it to another dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong either. I finally took it back to the original dealer and then they "couldn't replicate" the noise even with me in the car (he didnt go on the highway) and to someone that doesnt drive the car every day could think it is road noise.

ANY ANY ANY suggestions anyone has for me would be greatly appreciated. I don't even know where to go from here but it's brand new with only 3000 miles and i'm so sick that it is making this noise now.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I mean, you got into a collision buddy. File a claim and have the front end rebuilt. Otherwise, yeah, something is probably bent and needs replacing. I don't know if you know enough of what you are looking for, but take the wheel off and take a look at everything and see if you see anything abnormal, that way you have something to pin point if you go back to the dealership. I'm sorry though man. I know you feel helpless, and you are, and it sucks. Brand new car and everything.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:01 PM

I recently hit a curb, due to the unreliable KY weather (ice and snow that night) causing my allignment to be WAY off. I took it to a Ken Towery's shop in KY, and they fixed it right up. Plus I got 4 new tires, so it rides quite well at the moment. I was in your shoes just weeks ago, and know how you feel. Stay away from dealerships as much as you can. They want to rape your wallet. A trusted mechanic would suffice.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Criminal is right, you crashed your car, it isn't a manufacturer's defect causing the problem. You could actually file an insurance claim for a collision loss if you wanted to.

Next up, I imagine you probably have a smart phone, ride along with a friend and have them try to record the noise you're hearing while driving.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:01 PM

draxcaliber, was that message reply for me or the first poster? My issues preceeded hitting the curb.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice Drax.

Him: "Blue or Green?"
You: "Yes."

Haha
Old 03-12-2014, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by criminaltc
Nice Drax.

Him: "Blue or Green?"
You: "Yes."

Haha
hahahahaa,

I was answering his first question in that I was responding to the original poster. I didn't care to read the rest of his post.

The original postor has a car he bought new and shortly thereafter crashed, so he has a collision loss.

ScionTCproblems has a 9 year old car he just bought and is promptly teaching him the lesson "Caveat Emptor"
Old 03-12-2014, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, you and me both are trying to help this guy, and this original post guy too. No luck it doesn't seem.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most likely, the control arm got bent. While an alignment can help it track straight, it won't undo the damage to the arm. The whining could be related to a damaged wheel bearing from the impact. Have them checked by a good mechanic. Just my 2cents.