Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Problem at the Gas pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Problem at the Gas pump

Does anyone have problem at gas pump? Everytime I squeeze the trigger all the way and lock it, anti-overflow on nozzle kicks in and stops pumping just after a sec. I squeeze it, and I have to keep on holding the trigger halfway. I don't know if its the nozzle or my car, I goto different gas station and this happens A LOT! Its really inconvenience for me struggling with nozzle every time I pump gas.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i didnt want to post anything about this problem...because i thought it was my stupid ___ not knowing how to pump gas...but i guess i'm not the only one...anyone else wit this problem? has anyone found a solution? thanks...
Old 12-12-2003, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

right there with ya on that one ... I lock off the trigger 1/2way ... but if it's a station that it's all or nothing ... ya just have to stand there and hold the pump nozzle. Minor problem to me. A lot of gas stations around me are taking the locks off the nozzles anyway, so I still get stuck holding to stupid thing while my tank fills up.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hah! I knew it wasn't just me. I had this problem from start, and I just thought it was just the problem with the nozzle. I think it may have something to do with piping on xB, everytime I pump, I hear whirling sound in fueling and when that happens, it stops, and when I squeeze the trigger slow and half way, you won't hear it. If this problem continues, I'll take it to the dealer and complain about it since it is not something MINOR, I might end up with bigger problem later on, it deals with GASOLINE I don't wanna take any chances. :?
Old 12-12-2003, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SON OF A!!!!!!!!~ Okay I went to get gas for the first time yesterday and was like WHAT THE?????? I thought I must be doing something wrong!! LMAO!~ So its not me its the xB???????

That sucks!!! I hate holding the gas thingy!~ Getting gas is not my fav thing anyway. Okay found the one and only thing wrong with xB's! They don't like to take gas!!~

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-19-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

that whirling sound is the air in the gastank being pushed out by the gas filling your gastank... you hear the noise because it's being pushed out a small hole that you can see if you just take off the gas cap. what it seems like is that the pipe dia. is too small for both air and gas to be exchanged evenly when the gas pump is at full open. Unless that pipe is changed we're going to run into this issuse. The US uses high flow gas pumps and our little tanks can't handle it. It's not something that is going to hurt your car, and I wouldn't expect to see a recall on anything like this.

I have been wrong b4 so who knows...
Old 12-12-2003, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I first saw this post, I though you were crazy. I've had no problems at the 76 or Mobile gas stations that I've used.

Could it be the gas stations? Is there a certain nozzle type? What the difference between your XB's and mine that makes mine take gas with no problem if it is the XB?

Maybe someone could get on Scion chat and get some Scion input on the subject.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

hmmmmm.......I don't know? but I am going to try dif gas stations now and see if its everywhere or just certain nozzles?? it really sucks!~
Old 12-12-2003, 11:25 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

It's certain gas stations. That use to happen to me in the beginning but not anymore once I switched places.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Never a single problem...must be those sucky California gas pumps.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, now you got me wishin' for 'vegas superior Rebel gas!! Woooo hooo. Man, I miss LV.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had the same problem.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If we all complain to Scion, won't they help?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-19-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

This is something that has been driving me nuts...but it only happens at certain stations.
I'll talk to service and see if they have any info about this situation!
Old 12-13-2003, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it is a station thing and a way you do it..

have you tried picking the handle all the way up when it is in there while filling? or maybe pushing it all the way down. I'm guessing if either were to have an effect it would be the first since it would aim the gasoline flow downwards and allow air to flow over it?

am I pulling ____ out of my ___? Where's Shoapajoe(sp?)???
Old 12-13-2003, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Gas Pump Blues

I found the same thing. I was able to rectify it by swinging the handle all the way around, hose facing up, pump locks on full and stays put.i have no time to waste pumping gas.
It seems that the way our filler necks are designed it a sharp angle that the neck takes that slows the filling of the tank, turning the nozzle around seems to align the gas flow with the fuel hose filler pipe,

Case Solved! Bill

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-19-2018 at 04:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-13-2003, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by DibujoB
This is something that has been driving me nuts...but it only happens at certain stations.
I totally forgot to mention this to my corporate rep when he was here today...I'll call him on monday and see what they have to say about it.
the 76 station i have been filling at lately has no air seal and it works fine.....
Old 12-13-2003, 04:27 AM

I just filled up a min ago and had no problems. MMM... I wonder if it is the stations. I was at the Chevron station and filled up with 91 octane for tomorrows dyno meet and it stopped when it was full. I don't understand why the stations you guys go to don't fix the problems.

Old 12-13-2003, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The stations I go to are the same ones I went to with my Camry. Had no issues ever with any other vehicle until now. I am going to try a few things and see if I can't get it to work as I go to the card locks for gas and they send me a bill later and I prefer it that way over paying everytime I pump gas.~~~
Old 12-13-2003, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

Same thing here .. no problems with the camry I had.... I just set the lock to 1/2 way .. still doesn't take that long to fill the small tank ... I love it, used to pay around $22 to fill my tank, now no more than $16 .. and I can go just about as far between fillups ... woohooo

Quick Reply: Problem at the Gas pump