Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Questions on the Maintenance of Maintenance Products

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 06:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Questions on the Maintenance of Maintenance Products

If anybody has used or currently use The Absorber towel, how are you supposed to wash it and keep it clean? I already have dark streaks from having it accidentally touching the tire. It's made out of some synthetic material that is rubber-like. Will it eventually scratch the surface? What about a wash mitt? I have the Meguiar Wash Mitt and would like to know how to wash it. It's already dirty on the first wash!

Also, an hour after washing my car, having it dried and everything, I felt the paint was actually quite dull compared to the smoothness of the paint the day I bought it from the dealer. Is this normal? For my wash, I just used Meguiar's Classic Car Shampoo, Meguiar's Wash Mitt, and the Absorber Towel to dry. Did I do something wrong that would heed this type of dull texture?
Old 01-29-2006, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't give you advice on the Absorber towel, but I can for the wash mitt.

Which wash mitt do you have? The chenille one, or the ultra plush one? I use the ultra plush one and as long as you rinse it in between washing panels I never get a dirt build up on it. I've used it for at least 10 washes so far with no build up.

Well, regardless of which one you have, to get it clean again I'd soak it in a bucket with a 5:1 ratio of All Purpose Cleaner in it, agitating it after about an hour soak. Do that a couple times. Then go blast it with the hose.

If the wash mitt doesn't come clean, THROW IT OUT and get a new one. Or use it for your wheel wells.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hm thanks for the reply. Any idea why my paint feels kind of dull?
Old 01-29-2006, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Feels? Or looks?

If your paint doesn't "feel as smooth as glass" after it's been washed, you have a build up of above the surface contaminants. This can be taken care of by using a clay bar. Meguiar's and Mother's make clay bar kits. Basically you lube the surface with a quick detailer. Then you go over it with the clay bar which will remove the bonded contaminants.

If the color looks faded or dull, that probably means the paint is getting oxidized and/or there are a lot of bonded contaminants. If your paint feels "smooth as glass" and looks dull, you'll need to use a paint cleaner. I'd recommend Meguiar's Deep Crystal system. It's a paint cleaner, polish, and wax system. You can also find cleaner/polish/wax as one step. Meguar's ColorX is one of those, but personally I think you get better results from separate steps.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have found the Absorber to be a great tool.

make sure your car is ENTIRELY clean before usinf it...I have a second one that I use just for the windows, and one I use just for the body.

I imagine you should just soak it in some diluted laundry soap and see if it comes out.

Stains are different than dirt. Some of my MF is stained, but after a wash the grit comes out, which is what is really dangerous to your paint.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FromThisSoil

Which wash mitt do you have? The chenille one, or the ultra plush one? I use the ultra plush one and as long as you rinse it in between washing panels I never get a dirt build up on it. I've used it for at least 10 washes so far with no build up.

Well, regardless of which one you have, to get it clean again I'd soak it in a bucket with a 5:1 ratio of All Purpose Cleaner in it, agitating it after about an hour soak. Do that a couple times. Then go blast it with the hose.

If the wash mitt doesn't come clean, THROW IT OUT and get a new one. Or use it for your wheel wells.
Yes, if it gets really dirty, regulate it to the wheel wheels or something....they are pretty cheap after all and it is not worth hurting your paint.

I recommend either a MF or sheep skin mitt.....what is important is a long nap to help keep grit away form the paint.

I use a 3 bucket method; 1 for holding soapy water, one to pre rinse and another to rinse. The mitt is pulled across a panel ONE TIME, then it goes into the "pre" bucket, agitated WELL, then into rinse bucket two, where step one is again repeated and "backflushed" to remove any deep particles, then back to wash bucket.

I also pre treat certain areas (between bottom of doors and side skirt, top of the front/rear bumber, roof) with a MF cloth (soaked in soapy H2O) by wiping ONE TIME ONLY the trouble areas before folding the MF to expose a clean side, then wipe again, fold and repeat. This will reduce the amount of crap that gets on your wash mitt.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What brand of All-Purpose cleaner can I use? Can I pick it up at a Costco or Target?
Old 02-07-2006, 04:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VinceW_87
What brand of All-Purpose cleaner can I use? Can I pick it up at a Costco or Target?
Anybody?
Old 02-07-2006, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like to use car wash myself, but you could use regular laundry detergent if you want. Just use a weaker concentration.