Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Rusty wheel spindle

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rusty wheel spindle

The right front wheel spindle on my xB is rusty, and has been since the car was brand-new. Is this a legitimate warranty complaint, or can the dealer say that it's harmless, and should be hidden by the wheel covers (which I'm not using at the moment)? I was concerned that it might indicate some kind of flood damage, but everything else in the area looks fine. Will the rust cause problems in the future, like when removing the brake rotor?

The left spindle is that shiny yellow "plated bolt" color, by the way.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

The rust won't harm anything, but why is it happening to one and not the other? Assuming your driving conditions aren't at fault (ie: big puddle on right side of driveway), my first guess is that maybe your AC drain tube is leaking onto the rotor. That would be the right side for it. I'd check that and see or have your dealer check. That or maybe the washer fluid could be leaking? Just trying to think of what moisture could come from that side of the car. I'd bet it's AC related tho.

When I put my wheels on, I painted the center part of the disc (the non-contact part) with some high-heat black paint. That helped with most of it. i still see some rust coming from the edges of the disc, but only under certain water conditions.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I noted this on my xB, and it is a relatively common problem with any threaded fasterner near the hub. I spread a thin coat of antisieze grease on the exposed threads.

The rust won't hurt anything, but it might make it hard to remove the nut if that is ever required. As a vintage car guy, I worry about the poor schmuck who has to remove rusty nuts 30 years from now!