Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

scion Xa carbon filter in stock airbox

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 07:45 PM
Banned

Default scion Xa carbon filter in stock airbox

In the new scions above the Air filter sits a very restrictive carbon filter unless you live in california your not required to have this no check engine lights will come on when you remove it. The best way to remove it is with a razor blade leaving the plastic to hold down the K&N filter your about to drop in for 40 bucks this will greatly increase your tourque horsepower gas mileage as long as you stay out of the throttle all the time and has some benifits over cold air intakes. The first major benifit is cost. The second major benifit is you eliminate the risk of sucking water into your engine. the third major benifit is you maintain a stock look and don't have alot of the noise and rattling sounds alot of people are complaining about. the fourth benifit and one I think deserves alot of attention is your not making alot of racket which falls under noise but noise most certainly attracts police. the fifth benifit is that you are staying with something that was specifically desighned for the car the airbox I believe they made the airbox the way they did for a reason. the sixth benifit is your not going to have near as much trouble cleaning your air filter and it won't get restricted as fast. and the last and final benifit. your alot less likely to have a dealership trying to void your warranty since the best cold air intake offeed I gether is made by injen and isn't offered by the dealer there never going to notice your carbon filter is gone unless you live in california or you tell them. I have also heard of people complaining about hard starting with the cold air intakes I do not know if this is the cold air intake or the spark plug gap issue I adressed in another post but the closer you stay to factory the less likely you are to have problems and it is a common fact that plastic has less of a heatsoak problem than metal which is what these cold air intakes are made from. I have also seen batteries ground out to cold air intakes causing fires. even though scions have a cover over the positive terminal things can still go wrong and it's not a risk I'm willing to take. I will have dyno pulls done later with the stock box with a K&N and charcoal filter removed and a dealer offered cold air intake I'm willing to bet the stock box will make more tourque which is what we definently don't want to loose on a low horsepower engine. I am also willing to bet that the cold air intakes will have a better top end and will allow the car to reach higher top end speeds but as nimble as these Xa are I wouldn't want to be in one over 80mph anyway. just my 2 cents feel free too post I am not dissing the cold air intakes I just think that there is a less expensive safer way for people on a tighter budget. For people who want more Top end and want to have the noise and risk getting pulled over and lose touque by all means grab a cold air intake but there are long threads whee people are having problems with them so I thought I might throw out an alternative. IF YOU LIVE IN CALIFORNIA YOU HAVE TO KEEP THE CARBON FILTER this may also apply to some other heavily smogged up states and your only choice is going cold air if thats even legal emissions wise there I'm not sure.