Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Sigh...[blue exhaust smoke]

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Sigh...[blue exhaust smoke]

Turn on my car to show my neice, she hasn't seen it yet. Well I turn the key, exhaust as always makes its perty noise. But sadly, blue smoke comes out the back, you could smell the oil in the air. I got my oil changed a week ago so that counts out overspill, sigh, don't know what to do. Sent my Scion dealer an email since there phones just direct to service and no one is there. Booooo!!!...not what I wanted for Christmas. The engine temp is fine thank god, but I'm watching my display extra careful. I checked the oil and was less than half filled, so I put a bit more in, just incase, now I gotta wait to get a reply of what to do. Ugh...shoulda gone to someone I trust...oh well.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

blue smoke? dam, sounds like you got a bad car out of the batch. That really sucks considering its new. You have my sympathy.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Sigh...

Originally Posted by DelayedTurbo
I checked the oil and was less than half filled, so I put a bit more in, just incase,
did you check the oil level before or after you started your tC? if you checked after you started your tC, you may not get a correct reading since all your oil is not sitting in the pan.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Was it just one poff of smoke or was it constant?? and how long was the car running?
maybe the car was having a drag!! lol j/k i know how u feel. My old talon did that a lot when i would be driving and then site for a while in a drive-up window and the temp guage would start to go up and blue smoke would come out of the exhaust. Huh
Old 12-26-2004, 07:38 AM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Pull the dipstick.

If the oil on the dipstick looks like chocolate milk, then you know you have a blown head gasket.
Old 12-26-2004, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by squirrel
Pull the dipstick.

If the oil on the dipstick looks like chocolate milk, then you know you have a blown head gasket.
I'm just gonna pummel someone at my dealership because it makes me feel good ...hehe....the service guy hurt my baby and I will be forced to throw something at him, whatever is in grasp, presently I have one of the stock wheels in my trunk so we'll see how he likes that dropped on him, or I can hit him with the rear sway bar sitting next to it...hehe
Old 12-26-2004, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

sorry will....
but hey... i got blue fog lights if that makes u feel any better..
they dont seem to match the head lights.. but ill get the fogs smoked and
put them off sometime this week
if you wanna help?!>.. later will
Old 12-26-2004, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

um a blown hg wont be blue smoke. normally white cuz the wates is way more visible in smoke. either way . not goods. how did u break in the motor? take it back it very well could be a motor with improperly installed rings , or intake valve seat seals.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member

Default blue smoke

don't feel bad my blue tc had to have to fender repainted already, it only has 1500 miles on it talk to your dealer and call scion directly they helped me alot.They dealer aslo sent in a scion factory rep to look at it and take pitcures.They took down everything to sent back to the factory. CALL SCION THEY WILL HELP THEY WANT A GOOD NAME STARTING A NEW BRAND.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Happened only after the oil change, so its nothing wrong with the car, until the service tech touched it.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im shure it had nothing to do with the oil change or the tech
i will howerver recc you just take the vehicle in for repair and after repairs if any start bringing your own oil the stuff they make the dealers buy (penzoil) is crap! or you can request they use "toyota" brand oil they have to stock this
oil for warr repairs
Old 12-27-2004, 06:43 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by hotbox05
um a blown hg wont be blue smoke. normally white cuz the wates is way more visible in smoke. either way . not goods. how did u break in the motor? take it back it very well could be a motor with improperly installed rings , or intake valve seat seals.
Sorry. Just speaking from experience. I blew two Celica motors and both times, it was head gaskets and blue smoke.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Blue smoke usually means it is fuel related possibly running too rich, Black smoke is oil and white smoke like the clouds in the sky is water.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man that is not cool....hoepfully your scion dealer will help you out...which they should...keep us posted on what happens...
Old 12-27-2004, 08:09 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Huskersnow
Blue smoke usually means it is fuel related possibly running too rich, Black smoke is oil and white smoke like the clouds in the sky is water.
you got one of those right

blue is oil

black is running rich

i learned that on my old car that was carburated always ran rich and left black soot in the snow, the driveway when i let it idle long enough too little black marks left on the drive way that was cool kind of like leaving my mark every where i go :twisted:
Old 12-27-2004, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Got an email back from my dealer, its going to the General Manager...

Somehow I don't see him being useful. Maybe the Service Manager, but the GM...don't think so...sigh...what sucks is my dealer isn't exactly close by, its an hour away, and with me having no free time (I work at Ford ironically enough) I don't get much time to go there. I might just get my oil changes at ford, at least I know what oil they use and who will work on my car. This sucks, it happened right after the tech worked on my car, so don't tell me it can't be related to him working on it. I see techs all day, they make all kinds of weird ___ blunders when they're with a car.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did they over fill the engine with oil?
Old 12-27-2004, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: blue smoke

Originally Posted by czardante
don't feel bad my blue tc had to have to fender repainted already, it only has 1500 miles on it talk to your dealer and call scion directly they helped me alot.They dealer aslo sent in a scion factory rep to look at it and take pitcures.They took down everything to sent back to the factory. CALL SCION THEY WILL HELP THEY WANT A GOOD NAME STARTING A NEW BRAND.
They actually sent someone out? The normal respons would be, "you did it yourself, its not a manufacterers problem".

So what exactly did they do for you?
Old 12-27-2004, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Have em check the seals, blue smoke can mean that oil leaks through due to a loose seal of the rings.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hornet_on_flower
Originally Posted by Huskersnow
you got one of those right

blue is oil

black is running rich

i learned that on my old car that was carburated always ran rich and left black soot in the snow, the driveway when i let it idle long enough too little black marks left on the drive way that was cool kind of like leaving my mark every where i go :twisted:
Oops backwards again. I knew it did'nt seem right when I wrote it. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Sigh...[blue exhaust smoke]