Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

xb may have a weak tranny...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xb may have a weak tranny...

becareful peeps don't let this happen to you a few weeks ago i gave my box a test drive i mean a real test drive i race my buddy who drives a honda civic didn't win the race but i was sure close to his rear, anyway after the race i had all kinda lights poping up on my dash....the vsc,trac light and the engine light took the car to the dealer and they told me that they would have to replace the tranny,it's an auto by the way..... sucks now i'm driving around in a car the everone else mom and sister drives i sure miss my box,the dealer call me and told me it's going to be ready on 2/7/05 i guess i'll have to cruise in this corolla for the weekend...SUCKSS...
Old 02-05-2005, 06:22 AM
5 Year Member

I'm hoping this civic your racing is a DX, or at least a LX. First of all, I own a xB btw, I dont think the scion was made to race. Add that, you have an automatic tranny. Anyway, good luck w/ur tranny, and I guess good advice for those w/auto.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

takumijr killed his auto tranny in his xa. maybe they are weak. well that or he just ran over a bear , lol , i kid i kid, u know we love u tak , lol.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: xb may have a weak tranny...

Originally Posted by squarepants
becareful peeps don't let this happen to you a few weeks ago i gave my box a test drive i mean a real test drive i race my buddy who drives a honda civic didn't win the race but i was sure close to his rear, anyway after the race i had all kinda lights poping up on my dash....the vsc,trac light and the engine light took the car to the dealer and they told me that they would have to replace the tranny,it's an auto by the way..... sucks now i'm driving around in a car the everone else mom and sister drives i sure miss my box,the dealer call me and told me it's going to be ready on 2/7/05 i guess i'll have to cruise in this corolla for the weekend...SUCKSS...
Good job... admiting to racing your car, then breaking it and posting about it on a PUBLIC message board. Great way to get your waranty repair denied
Old 02-05-2005, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by florencescion
Good job... admiting to racing your car, then breaking it and posting about it on a PUBLIC message board. Great way to get your waranty repair denied
I don't see how that's possible and he dosen't have any personal info listed. Some people are just too damn sensitive
Old 02-05-2005, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ohh yeah, Im real worried that my tranny is weak, becuse you raced the ____ out of yours!

What were doing? redlining it then dropping it in to drive or something?
Old 02-05-2005, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm i guess zesta is a good lil boy and obey the traffic rules and would never drive his box hard oh and another thing did the warranty say if you race your box it's not covered maybe i missed that one....
Old 02-05-2005, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm i guess zesta is a good lil boy and obey the traffic rules and would never drive his box hard oh and another thing did the warranty say if you race your box it's not covered maybe i missed that one....
The waranty covers manufacturer defects only... racing the car and braking the tranny is NOT a manufacturer's defect... it is user induced damage
Old 02-05-2005, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A lot of manufacturers void your warranty if you participate in any racing, whether it's drag, autocross, or on the track.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you are the kind of driver that is gonna push the auto tranny hard, you might consider the auto trans cooler by Blitz. It's around $380.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

here dude, i think you lost these .......................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

when i first read it i thought you won...'my buddy who drives a honda civic didn't win the race'
Old 02-05-2005, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the point i was getting is at some point in an vehicle life there is a good chance that a driver or owner might push there car to it's limit it don't have to be a drag race,i know that the xb was not built for that but at the same time if i push it to 110 mph and the engine blow up no matter what it's still covered under warranty, i don't think toyota would give a car and say please don't pass 55 mph or else it's you void the warranty.....hmm maybe i should take this supercharger and intake back for credit..
Old 02-05-2005, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I remeber a thread a few (5- months back where people with Man trannies were having concerns. More or less indicated in their opinion, that the xb shouldn't have a man tranny, and that in JPN xb's are generally only auto's. Guess a few of them had tranny failures within a few thousand miles. I haven't heard any negative feedback regarding the auto before...regardless, congrats on getting a new tranny for free.

oh, and street racing is stupid.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by grnxb
I remeber a thread a few (5- months back where people with Man trannies were having concerns. More or less indicated in their opinion, that the xb shouldn't have a man tranny, and that in JPN xb's are generally only auto's.
I'd assume most of the bBs are caught in bumper to bumper traffic anyway, herego the reason for the auto..?
Old 02-05-2005, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, unless he was doing neutral drops or towing a big trailer, nothing you do to an automatic transmission can be considered abuse. It's automatic, so it shouldn't be able to overstress itself.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by grnxb
I remeber a thread a few (5- months back where people with Man trannies were having concerns. More or less indicated in their opinion, that the xb shouldn't have a man tranny, and that in JPN xb's are generally only auto's. Guess a few of them had tranny failures within a few thousand miles. I haven't heard any negative feedback regarding the auto before...regardless, congrats on getting a new tranny for free.

oh, and street racing is stupid.
Street racing or not, driving within a cars limits shouldn't cause failure.

Anyhow, who lost a manual tranny? I've yet to hear about any? Frankly, I'm tired of hearing these posts of people that "heard" someone say something broke. Theres a ton of misinformation on these forums because of posts like this.

I've yet to break my tranny, and if anyone drives hard... it's me.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member

Default Who has XB with Manual Trans ?

I'm about to buy an XB with the manual trans. I'm just tired of the automatics and want to do some fun shifting again. WHo has the manual, who likes them and does anyone wish they would have gotten an automatic ?

Thanks All.....
Old 02-05-2005, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think some people in here don't understand my point,we all know that the xb is not built for speed but if you do speed and break anything in the process you covered no matter what speeding it's not abuse in any form or matter,i'm not the type of person that drag race and yes i do think drag racing is dumb as hell i seen too many lives lost by teens drag racing,it was just a one time thing on a back road with no traffic just me and my big mouth friend who talks crap about my xb i guess i just had to show him that my car is not that slow as it looks..anyway speding does not void your warranty..
Old 02-05-2005, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member

Well, related to multiple posts, I'll reply my 2 cents.

I just bought an manual xB and got it yesterday (hooray!). Ive always driven automatics but I learned how to maneuver a standard transmission recently and now I'm putting my skills to the test. I'm pretty good, almost like a pro after just a day. Anyway I was on a very steep hill practicing starting into 1st with my mom this morning and after about 5 minutes of back and forth and somewhat abusing the engine it started to smell pretty bad of plastic or rubber or soemthing coming from the air vents. I wonder if I was actually messing up the engine? Or is it just because its new (only 200 miles) and i was running it hard?

Also so far I'm very glad I got a manual and I think its so much morefun to drive. But I dont do any extensive commutes or long highway driving, just zipping around the city.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

704 - that smell could be the freshness factor, air filter, etc. I still get that from time to time and I've got 5k miles.
Dass - the MT xB is mad fun.. if you're missing manual, it's good.. plus, if you shift well, you'll get pretty good acceleration (even for 108 hp).
Finally, squarepants.. hate to tell ya, but UnFocused before had a point. Did you redline it at first? Smoke the tires? Go past something like 110 MPH? Maybe your tranny's not shot completely, but the mechanics probably would have to replace it down the road now anyway.

Quick Reply: xb may have a weak tranny...