Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Y do some of you guys think spray paint is o.k. rant!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Y do some of you guys think spray paint is o.k. rant!?

I can't believe all the spray painted parts I've been seeing at the shows! Engine bay and interior. Honestly -imo- if your going to paint something take the initiative and find a painter in your club, or go to a body shop and spend the 20 bucks to have it painted nicely. You guys don't even seem to take the time to spray paint these pieces nicely....what gives? And how many wannabe speaker boxes do I have to see with all the seems and cracks showing. This wouldn't bother me so much if you guys didn't cop a attitude and ego like MTV just pimped your ride....just a rant

If you can afford a box than you can afford a good 2stage or enamel paint....
Old 10-21-2005, 01:48 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Having a pro paint anything will be several times more than $20. Having a hookup cuts that down, but most don't. I know that a lot of people around here don't have an extra sixty or eighty dollars to spend.

I am not completely defending rattle cans, but I have used them before and gotten excellent results with the right amount of prep work. I have also gotten bad results which cost we way too much time. I will not paint a large smooth surface, but in some cases a rattle can is all you need.

Moved to M&CC
Old 10-21-2005, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you don't have the money to spend to paint it than you shouldn't waste the 5 bucks on rustoleum to ruin what is not a bad looking dash piece, engine bay piece, etc. etc. The xb has a very nice interior from the factory - the black and silver looks a lot better than a rattle can job that has more orange peel than a christmas fruit basket. If you don't have the money - don't make it look like you don't have the money

and just say no to spray paint -
Old 10-21-2005, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its not your car so don't worry about it.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the problem is, some people REALLY know how to prep, primer and spray paint things that come out great..... Then, other people who have no idea what they're doing try to grab a $5 can of Krylon, spend 10 minutes, and think it'll come out the same.

-THE DON
Old 10-21-2005, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep---they do----Like I said before - I wouldn't even care...to each is own...but these guys at these shows stand in front of their ride and act like big ballers.... I don't care much for attitudes no matter if you've got a chip foose ride or what. Exspecially if you don't have anything to back it up. These guys act like they are better than everyone else....and I'd like to carry a can of lacquer thinner with me and go nuts on their (kick ___ spray paint) engine cover when their not around....I wouldn't do that...but I'd love to.....

I think I have road rage inside me that is coming out in other areas....
Old 10-21-2005, 03:12 PM
CXT
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I think you need jesus in your life dude
Old 10-21-2005, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think the orange peel comment was directed at me and i take no offense cuz i am going in a different direction and the orange is being thrown and i am buying new from dealer

and some people do have the money t spend to get it done as i can afford to do it, it was just a feeling of doing it myself and knowing that i did it

and another thing i dont stand out front of my car thinking its the shizzy cause its got painted stuff when im at shows i am no where around my car i am taking in the other cars at the show, im in my car everyday i dont want to stand in front of it for 4-6 hours at a show
Old 10-21-2005, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not ment toward you ....only the local wi guys man....I just like starting trouble.....
Old 10-21-2005, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it cool like i said im going a new direction cant wait till its done to put up new pics and i just realized your the guy that pm'd me about my rims
Old 10-21-2005, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We ain't rich biatch. Step off.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not rich either ...I just work for a living ....I still manage to afford my xb, my 64 falcon, 63 ford f-100, and three kids and a wife....if you are on here...you should know how to use the internet....which allows you to find the best deals and hook ups....including painting your interior.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by aera
i think the orange peel comment was directed at me and i take no offense cuz i am going in a different direction and the orange is being thrown and i am buying new from dealer
if you are getting a new radio bezel, let me know. i want your old one for a future project.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

randode i will let you know
Old 10-21-2005, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DeansBlackBox
I'm not rich either ...I just work for a living ....I still manage to afford my xb, my 64 falcon, 63 ford f-100, and three kids and a wife....if you are on here...you should know how to use the internet....which allows you to find the best deals and hook ups....including painting your interior.
dam dood, jus back the he!l off...3 kids, a wife, more than one vehicle to pay for...i would think with all this, maturity would set in. if you ar on here...you should know how to use the internet...or these forums for that matter and stop your whining. go complain to the people you're talking about upfront then, geez.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

spray paint obviously has a cult following that I was not aware of....you guys might be on to something here.....I think I'm going to spray paint some graphics on the box tonight.....post pics soon
Old 10-21-2005, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

you go ahead and spray paint them graphics.

anywayz. i spray painted my engine cover and dam.. i was impressed with the results and so was everybody else.

if it bothers you so much. go ahead and offer your services to the WI guyz.

are you a judge? y does it bother you so much? u should be happy. if your going to score more points at a show.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i agree with fujiz on this i also have the painted engine cover and interior and my stuff looks good and since the pic i also added more clear coat so its shiny
Old 10-21-2005, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Allright...allright....post your pics....of your stuff everyone....and lets see what kind of paint skills you got....this seems to have hit a nerve in a lot of people....

I'm reffering to the show scene here. Not your daily driver. The show scene where you would consider having your car jugded by judges. Have anyone of you been to a classic car show? How many Fords, chevys, dodges. etc. etc. have spray paint anywhere on their cars? Why should poor quality paint, or poor quality anything be considered acceptable? I guess that's why so many of the muscle car guys differ from tunner guys and vice versa. Two different worlds. Two different types of quality standards. ANyone whos ever worked on a fiber glass body part know it takes a lot more to get the piece to fit right and look straight....and most people don't seem to put the effort to do this correctly. Body lines never seem to match up. Unfortanetly - their seem to be more poor quality tuner cars out there than classics. And the same people that think its cool to spray paint their cars are the same ones putting auto zone wings on their Ford Taurus' and thinking their cool. No one likes to see that, or do you? I just wish I saw more quality paint work. More quality everything on tuners.... Maybe some of you are right - and I should offer my hook ups and services...but when I ask these people with the crap poor paint jobs if they would like something painted they think their paint is just fine...SO to each is own...I'll stick to my ppg.....so post your spray can jobs and lets see what you got?
Old 10-21-2005, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Professionally done paint does not necessarily mean a great job. I believe cars actually come from the factory with orange peel. Would those robot painters be considered professional? Some of us are just DIY'ers. Relax, and enjoy the variety. Yours may be completely professionally done, but mine is DIY and I am proud of it. I enjoy every minute spent (and I hope you enjoy every dollar spent). It is called "customizing". And did you know that they actually have a spray paint that is professionally made to "orange peel"? And then there is the "Hammer" finish. Variety. You don't want all of our xB's looking just like yours, do you Mr. Dean? Money is all it would take, I guess! Have fun with your box. I am enjoying mine.

Quick Reply: Y do some of you guys think spray paint is o.k. rant!?