Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

$200-300 BILLION dollars down the drain?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Baine
Originally Posted by citizen01
MURR, if you can find some of those things and then tell me how they are more significant than what 300 BILLION dollars could buy if applied elsewhere I would appreciate it. Until then I will continue to be disgruntled.
Why bother to show you anything. Your mind is obviously closed already.
I don't think you know what is going on with this Murr. The white house, not nasa scientists, not anyone but politicians "asked" NASA to build a moon base on the moon. (when your boss who pays you, "asks" you to do something, it's not really something to say no to, right)

the 2 reasons the white house said they'd like
it could be a stop over for mars
(as explained this morning on NPR, that's a made up idea because you need 2/3 of your shuttle's fuel for the landing and take off from mars.)
ice.

and btw, because we're doing this, we're dropping most everything else. There were 2 weather & moisture satelites the first of their kind, estimated at 1 billion each(that includes getting it to orbit), Canceled because of this 200-300billion dollar moon base, that everyone at NASA, except the top administrator, thinks is a BAD idea.

The scientists on npr and the guys in this month's pop.sci article talk about how much of a waste of money it is. Just like manned shuttle launches, the orbiting space station, and moon landings. All are essentially PR stunts, and yield very little useful data, especially for the money.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tjbartjr,
If it was between the war and this you would be right. However I don't know what led you to that assumption but it is false. This money is in addition to the war.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

skeorx,
You know I value science but nothing discovered from low gravity experiments will produce anything worth 300 BILLION dollars. Think about all the earth related research that money could buy.
I agree. I don't think we should be spending this much money right now. There are far more important things to be working on down here. I think the side projects with telescopes and mars rovers and space probes are good for now.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by Skeorx13
Next you'll be telling us that 911 was carried out by our own people...
Nope. But thanks for the eyeroll anyhow.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Skeorx13
Originally Posted by seattledave
this month's popular science and has a big article on this, and NASA's lead administrator is being interviewed about this on NPR tomorrow morning, if anyone wants to know more.
Do you know what time that is supposed to air? Does popular science have this article online or is that something you just have to buy in the store?
it will be on from 8am-8:15am PST.
not sure if the info is online, but it is in the magazine(maybe it was discovery magazine, i forget, i got both monday)
Old 05-30-2007, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

for a country like the united states 300 billion isn't THAT much.

on another note I don't see how anyone can legitimately think the moon landing is fake. man all these conspiracy theorists.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

I'm not 100% on landing or hoax. I am 100% on freeze dried ice cream.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jenna
I'm not 100% on landing or hoax. I am 100% on freeze dried ice cream.
I'm 100% on landing, 100% on freeze dried ice cream sandwiches, but 66.6% on freeze dried neapolitan ice cream. (I hate strawberry ice cream)
Old 05-30-2007, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

MURR, if you can find some of those things and then tell me how they are more significant than what 300 BILLION dollars could buy if applied elsewhere I would appreciate it. Until then I will continue to be disgruntled.

How about we stop the third world charity parade. How can we feed the starving in
other countries and yet still have starving children here? Talk about wasted money.
They take or money and then complain about it or worse yet use it to attack us. We
are not responsible for all the bad **** in the world.
Yeah citizen tends to do that alot thats why I don't even try to debate with him anymore.

Hell here's another way to save some money...quit given it to Israel or the many other pointless endeavors we have or to make it better why should we be the only ones forking over the money, why not make it a joint effort?
Old 05-30-2007, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whats funny is they are willing to spend 300 billion on something new, but when the shuttle explodes to take the first trip to walmart on the moon, the whole thing gets shut down hahahaha, We have to fix whats wrong with the space program first! We must perfect our means of travel to the unknown before we decide to spend more money on the unknown.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05

on another note I don't see how anyone can legitimately think the moon landing is fake. man all these conspiracy theorists.
Wow... maybe nobody told you that we don't have 300 billion dollars or even 1 dollar to spend. As of right now we are in the hole 8.8 TRILLION dollars.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BigMURR

How about we stop the third world charity parade. How can we feed the starving in
other countries and yet still have starving children here? Talk about wasted money.
They take or money and then complain about it or worse yet use it to attack us. We
are not responsible for all the bad **** in the world.
Yeah citizen tends to do that alot thats why I don't even try to debate with him anymore.

Hell here's another way to save some money...quit given it to Israel or the many other pointless endeavors we have or to make it better why should we be the only ones forking over the money, why not make it a joint effort?
LMAO!!! Yeah, how ridiculous of me to ask people to back thier outrageous claims up with facts.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

yeah I guess you're right nasa hasn't given us many inventions and advances in science. God (oh wait edited for citizen) "?" forbid a colony could help increase our knowledge of solar system.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

MURR, I never said they haven't given us advances, please don't put words in my mouth. What I said was that there is nothing to learned worth 300 billion in setting up an outpost on the moon. If you would like to tell me how it will increase our knowledge of the solar system I am all ears. This should be good because the vast majority of scientists in the field disagree with you.

-Adam
Old 05-30-2007, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its just like the whole billions and billions they spent to get a robot on mars, and what did the robot tell us, pretty much everything we already know about mars, no life, even if there was life, there isnt now so the trip was pointless.
Its just like if they do go threw with this:

yay we have landed on the moon again, yay we built a building, yay we are now doing the same thing we have been doing on the space station but now we are on the moon yay yay yay. Its just like it was in the first time they came, one big rock yay yay!
Hooray we can eat sleep and poop just like on earth, only my poop floats! hooray thanks everyone for spending all that money to discover everything we already knew. Someone better check on the roover on mars and make sure life is still non existent! Hooray!
Old 05-30-2007, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

I already agreed that the money could be better spent somewhere else.

Would you agree with me that there are still some significant findings still to be had on Mars? I've heard for some time now that the moon would be a valuable asset if there were to be a trip to Mars, this could be the start.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by hotbox05

Wow... maybe nobody told you that we don't have 300 billion dollars or even 1 dollar to spend. As of right now we are in the hole 8.8 TRILLION dollars.
yeah and will the united states ever go under ? no. we will always make money , we will always be able to borrow money ,

what we need to do is stop funding dying car companies liek ford , gm , and anything we may still be giving the flatlining dodge , chrysler , jeep brands.

as well as cut off welfare , cut off school voucher programs , kill anything like section 8 , and make people work for a living again.

put money into social security so people have a reason to work. because paying into social security when you know that there won't be any of it left by the time you retire is dumb.

let us retire on the moon , I'm sure as of right now it's a buyers market. lol maybe just get a timeshare or two.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha... can't be any worse than the southern california house market. But we aren't making money as you suggested, the national debt is going up by about 1,500,000,000 per day.

MURR, there is plenty to be learned from Mars but the moon Motel 6 won't contribute anything to mars research that a simulation costing much less couldn't do.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

like i've said about welfare do the same with medicare. that'll help a lot.

let's take a look at other countries debts i bet the us is faring well.

http://zfacts.com/p/461.html
Old 05-30-2007, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya mean they might not build up there? Great...I just bought a lunar time-share.

Seriously though, I think spending that kind of money to colonize the moon or Mars is stupid and wasteful. There was a show on not too long ago on the subject. They were showing what the conditions are like on the surface of Mars. They kept saying things like, "If the conditions on Earth ever become too inhospitable, we may need to live on Mars." I got news for ya, we would have to do a LOT of damage before the conditions here will be worse than they are on Mars!

Quick Reply: $200-300 BILLION dollars down the drain?