Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

$200-300 BILLION dollars down the drain?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Oh, and how else does one, like the president, keep people from saying things? Of course, it's a dumb to ever think that the White House would resort making someone disappear permanently, or die accidentally, right? lol
Old 05-31-2007, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

you ARE a conspiracy theorist to the max.

and I'm not saying shady stuff happens but you seem to think it's all that happens .
Old 05-31-2007, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
you ARE a conspiracy theorist to the max.

and I'm not saying shady stuff happens but you seem to think it's all that happens .
To the max? Not even close.

How familiar are you with the supposed moon landing hoax? Very? A little? Didn't know it existed until this thread came about? I'm pretty sure it's in the very little to not at all range.

I don't know, seems like the type of judgment you're passing on me would be better suited for someone who knows about this particular or some or many "conspiracies" out there.

Taking the thought on that wasn't taught to you in school and that isn't just automatically accepted as truth by the majority of the United States (well, I think they said 3-8% currently believe the moon landing was a hoax while I think it was 30% thought it was a hoax just one year after the landing itself) isn't something I just fall for. I don't know what bits and pieces of the hoax theory are true, I just know that something smells fishy.

I got a lot of Freemasonry in my family. Taking on a not-so-wonderful view of them ____es them off extremely. I'd like to say that I just didn't fall for those views because I'm super gullible.

I do, however, have an open mind and would love for you to share your insight in these topics if you're knowledgeable.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should watch Penn & Teller's Bull____! on conspiracy theories. They debunk the moon landing hoax as well as the US gov't pulling off 911. I can't seem to find the clip of it online anymore. Must be copyright issues.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:25 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

To the original topic,

There is plenty to gain by making a permenant station on the moon. We are depleting the earths natural resources at rates that will put us back to ridding horses within the next 50 years. It is possible that fossil fuels exist outside of our tiny little existance, we call earth.
For a nation to become stagnant in exploration, knowledge, and research means its untimely demise will happen even sooner. Reasearch takes time and money, yet without it, where would we be?
Do you not think the atomic bomb research cost alot of money? yet imagine if we had of waited a few years to start that? (yup we would be typing in Japenese or German.

Imagine if the billions of dollars that went into nuclear research for an alternative to coal plants never happened? we really would have no way of powering this computer we are sitting at.

Its easy to sit back and cast off astronomical possibilities as being impossible. But to do that is to put a nation at a standstill that will be capitalized upon by our friends, and foes alike.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick06tC
There is plenty to gain by making a permanent station on the moon. We are depleting the earths natural resources at rates that will put us back to riding horses within the next 50 years. It is possible that fossil fuels exist outside of our tiny little existence, we call earth.
Um, you do realize where petroleum products come from don't you? It's decayed organic matter. Clearly something that is not on the moon.
Originally Posted by Nick06tC
Do you not think the atomic bomb research cost alot of money? yet imagine if we had of waited a few years to start that? (yup we would be typing in Japenese or German. Imagine if the billions of dollars that went into nuclear research for an alternative to coal plants never happened? we really would have no way of powering this computer we are sitting at. Its easy to sit back and cast off astronomical possibilities as being impossible. But to do that is to put a nation at a standstill that will be capitalized upon by our friends, and foes alike.
There is a big difference between this and atomic energy. That research had direct benefit to everyone on the surface of earth (except some of the japanese... ). A moon base does not. Yes I would love to see the research done there. But it is not economically viable at this stage. We should be focusing on refining our energy programs to be more efficient and clean, not scouring the universe for more petroleum. We should be fixing our society before trying to start up a new one. We need to fix the manned space program before striking up a new one.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone listen to the interview of nasa's top administrator this morning on npr? what a total politician: "I support our president's and congress's discision". So now politicians, not scientists, make the decisions on what NASA is supposed to be doing. great.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:15 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I never said that we would found fossil fuels on the moon. The biggest flaw in space travel is entering and leaving our own atmosphere. You have to craw before you can walk. You cant just one day put a colony on a planet light years away to utilize its resources. You have to see what works. And the moon is the closest and probably the cheapest way to try it.

I never said there was an immediate gain by being on the moon, ots all part of moving forward.

You do realize that without enerygy our society wont exist to be fixed? We have grown dependent on resources, without them we are nothing.

And there are many more resources we re dependent upon then potroleum.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm for it.

- The biggest thing is that it will increase our science knowledge and that's a good thing.

- It will increase the number of kids interested in engineering and science (same way the original moon landing did)

- The hoax has been disproven over and over and over again by many different people. The biggest evdidence is this: How are you going to get thousands and thousands of contractors and employees to not say a word?

- They want to put a telescope on there that would make the Hubble look like a pocke magnifying glass good for nothing more than frying ants

- education doesn't need more money, it needs a better system, and better students/parents. See "Charter School" for proof.

- The number of spin off products and trickle down technology from the space program has been phenomenal. Do you think they envisioned the capabilities and duties of current day satallites 50 years ago? No. So what uses and capabilities are we not seeing 50 years from now?
Old 05-31-2007, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm for doing it. Just not now. We have to fix things first before we do this. The money needs to be elsewhere right now.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:59 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The whole money thing and being elsewhere. Unfortunatly our govt is borken with money. If money is alotted to a program (NASA, it goes to NASA or is lost)
I will use the military for example since I am in it.
We have a fiscal year (october to october). We get our funds each year around november and we use money for supllies and all through out the year. Each section (mine being engineering) gets a certain amount of money. Come the end of the fiscal year, we might have $4-5 million dollars sitting in the pot still. The money does not roll over to the next fiscal year. It is not moved to another section that might be running short. We take the $4-5 million and we go and buy stupid stuff that we think we might need someday. Its a total waste of resources and there is nothing that can be done about it. If we dont use it, DOD takes the money back, and the following year we get $4-5 million less in funding.
This is for a unit with 200 people. And we dont have fighter planes so our budget is fairly low. Now multiply the numbers across the Depertment of Defense and you will see MONEY is wasted everyday and thats the way it is.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's all part of the vast right wing conspiracy, if your not a member you will never know the complete truth. We're not telling.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jbrolowxb
It's all part of the vast right wing conspiracy, if your not a member you will never know the complete truth. We're not telling.
LOL...I thought everyone knew that. When you register as a Republican, you get a packet in the mail which explains:

Who shot JFK
The Moon Landings
Area 51 / UFOs
9-11
Bigfoot

Most of it was invented just to screw with the democrats.