Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

12000k HID legal?

Old 06-02-2005, 08:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 12000k HID legal?

Are they legal in California which I doubt, just asking cause someone was selling it on eBay and said he had no problems with it and he lives in Irvine.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the NHTSA has put a ban on ALL sales in the ENTIRE united state. (of HID kits)

so of course, your kit is very illegal.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats wut i figured thanks for the quick reply
Old 06-02-2005, 11:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any time you change the stock lighting system it's illegal.

I don't mean simply changing bulbs either, I mean type of lights and lamps / projectors.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whoah whoah WHOAH. so wats the freakin point... i was thinkin about gettin the 10k kit but ITS ILLEGAL?? My friend keeps telling me they are not. He said the 8k are illegal cause its super duper blue and the lower number K are illegal cause they TOO bright.. oh man this sucks. geez i wonder, does that mean it wont pass inspection either?
Old 06-02-2005, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So unless the car comes with HID/projectors, it's illegal to modify your lighting system? Oh noes
Old 06-02-2005, 12:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup so why get them? so people can steal them XD
Old 06-02-2005, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Darn, why didn't ya say any HID kit was illegal. I already order the 10k kit McCulloch. I'm not gonna put them on now.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's illegal, but so is jay walking. the 10k kit will be super easy to spot because its so blue. you won't have much light on the ground and the police will be harassing you all day on top of that. Return the kit.
McCulloch HID kits are **** anyways, as all kits are. you get inferior no-name ballasts and inferior Taiwan/Korean bulbs.

How much did you pay for the kit? around $300? for about $50 - $100 more, you can get all the parts for a projector retrofit. although a retrofit is still illegal, you'll have much less chance of getting harassed.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:10 PM
Emo
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by litobirdy
whoah whoah WHOAH. so wats the freakin point... i was thinkin about gettin the 10k kit but ITS ILLEGAL?? My friend keeps telling me they are not. He said the 8k are illegal cause its super duper blue and the lower number K are illegal cause they TOO bright.. oh man this sucks. geez i wonder, does that mean it wont pass inspection either?
Actually, it's the other way around.. 10K would be more illegal than 8K... the LOWER the K the more you are to stock specs.. (4600K?).... sooooo if I ever decide to change mine, it'll be 6K

-Emo
Old 06-03-2005, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can anyone explain the difference between HID and projector lamps? (Please show some example pics). 68 GTO's, 68 GS400's, 72 Skylarks and 87 Toyota trucks are not great candidates for lighting upgrades.
This is the first car I have purchased in the same decade as is was produced!! BTW the higher color temp number the more towards the violet end of the spectrum the light will appear.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

the more blue the bulbs or color of the light, the less further the light will project. so for all people with bluish bulbs, not a good idea to have them. rules of the color/light spectrum.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is illegal, but most places will not give you too much ____.

The retrofit kits look pretty close to stock, so as long as the yare adjusted correctly I don't see you having problems with authorities or anything. For inspection, I would say make the wiring look pretty, and close to stock to not throw suspicion.

And as far as not installing the Mcculogh kit... thats a no-brainer.... those things are crap and good luck getting and support from them when a ballast goes bad.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

thescone: HID w/o projectors have lots of uncontrolled light glaring, and blinding other drivers (i am really annoyed by people who drive with out projectors and HID lights) Projectors controll the light.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Emo
Actually, it's the other way around.. 10K would be more illegal than 8K... the LOWER the K the more you are to stock specs.. (4600K?).... sooooo if I ever decide to change mine, it'll be 6K

-Emo
Emo's right - learn more about headlamps HERE
Old 06-03-2005, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The lower the Kelvin rating the more the light looks like the OEM light. Our company does not recomend anything higher than the 6000K.

SporksLover, what are you talking about??? We are the #1 sellers for McCulloch in the nation! and we have the best customer service for them as well. Even better proposition, anyone that you that has a bad ballast, tell them to call me and I will take care of it even if they did not purchase it from my company. The "____ty" McCulloch kits that you are talking about are GENERIC ballasts that have a McCulloch logo on it because McCulloch got so popular that peeople wanted in on their profit margin and started buying cheap generic ballasts and bulbs, pur McCulloch's logo on it, and started selling it for a much lower price.

Everyone thinks that Philips is the best kits, guess what, my company sells them too and believe it or not, we have more Philips ballasts returned than McCulloch!!! (Return for both products is under 1%) So please dont put down the brand name before you know the real truth.

McCulloch not only sells HID kits but also sells lots of gardening products as well (www.McCullochPower.com). McCulloch are a PUBLIC TRADED COMPANY that had $90 million in revenue in 2004, what other HID company besides Philips (by the way most OEM kits are made by Philips) can say that about themselves?

Also, the reason why HID kits are considered illegal is because of the generic manufacturers who did a horrible job at rebasing their their bulb housings for the aftermarket and the bulbs themselves were not created in the right size which caused glare to oncomming traffic and this is why DOT/NHTSA made the kitd "illegal". If you buy a real McCulloch or Philips kit the glare is greatly reduced when comparing them to a no name brand HID kit because of the excellend manufacturing job that McCulloch and Philips have done.

Our company has been around for over two years now and we wouldnt be considered to be the best online HID kit store because of horrible customer service and not putting our clients first.

Regards,
Michael Cherny
www.XenonKing.com
MCherny@XenonKing.com
877-HID-KITS ext. 707
Old 06-03-2005, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm curious what kind/brand of bulb is included with real McCulloch kits?
Old 06-03-2005, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

darn, why didnt ya say any HID kit was illegal. I already order the 10k kit Mchulloah(however u spell that) I'm not gonna put them on now.
thank god.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

thanks god what?
Old 06-03-2005, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have 8000k i have no problems at all. cops drive by me like if it was nothing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 12000k HID legal?