Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

12000k HID legal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XenonKing.com
thanks god what?
thank god there's one less car with blinding glare driving towards you.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

If his kit is a generic kit your are correct, no one needs people blinding them.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so, how does the real McCulloh kits deal with uncontrolled scattered light from a halogen reflector?

here's a good read to those new to HID and looking to buy a kit. http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3505
Old 06-04-2005, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had 6000K McCulloch kit on my xB. I sold the xB a while ago.
Anyways. Whatever kit you get DO NOT use screws to secure the ballast to anything metallic. The best thing is to use the rubber mounting tape and make sure that no part of the ballast touches metal.
I had them for over a year and no problem at all.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Im happy to hear that, your right either use zip ties or the rubber mounting.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks god what?
thank god that there's one less person driving with the ricerific purple headlights.

I don't see the need for anything higher than 4300k
Old 06-04-2005, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i guess xenonking is still under the radar, cuz McCulloch pulled out of the US AND Canada. aftermarket stores here in Cali won't even stock kits anymore--regardless what brand.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Bare, do you know that 4300-5300 Kelvin ratings look EXACTLY the same?
Whoster, we have over 10 retail stores that sell for us in Cali alone!
Old 06-04-2005, 07:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bare, do you know that 4300-5300 Kelvin ratings look EXACTLY the same?
Whoster, we have over 10 retail stores that sell for us in Cali alone!
if thats the case, why do you suppose car manufactuers use 4100k on their OEM bulbs?
Old 06-04-2005, 11:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

!
If McCulloch was so great, then why did they even make a 12000K HID kit?

I'll tell you why! It was to take advantage of every dufus who was a dim as those headlamps because he thought that if 4100K was bright, then 12000K must be brighter!

If they were so good, then why'd they market products that were so far outside acceptable that they got the entire industry banned? It's simple; they saw a market that was as stupid as it was willing, and exploited it without any consideration for the rest of us.

I, for one, will be looking forward to your going out of business sale!
Old 06-04-2005, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Casus, reasonable opinions you have but here are the REAL reasons.

They made the 12000K for CARS THAT GO ON SHOWS. A lot of people were demanding a more "purple" look to their headlight when they were taking their modded cars to car shows etc... THAT IS THE ONLY REASON! I never recommend buying anything higher than the 6000K,
but for those people who are looking for HID's more for the "blue" or "purple" look, we have them as an option. And every person who rights to us and asking, those are the kits that we recommend.

And Im guessing you did not read the previous post but the reason that the aftermarket HID industry was in trouble was because of the GENERIC kits NOT the real kits. Due to the generic kits that used bootleg McCulloch, Philips, etc...
stickers on their bootleg ballasts and bulbs which cause DOT to put forth some regulations.

These generic bulbs and ballasts were manufactured very poorly and had these fake company logos on them giving some brands a washed out name.

Casus, if this is not a product that you have expertise in, please do not post negative talk especially when you don't have a clue of what you are talking about.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is from NHTSA. no aftermarket lighting enhancers HID kits, retros, meet DOT requirements.

NHTSA ILLEGAL LIGHTING CRACKDOWN CONTINUES
Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Continuing its crackdown against manufacturers and suppliers of illegal lighting equipment, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) today announced its decision
that High Intensity Discharge (HID) conversion kits produced by a Texas company do not comply with federal safety standards.

The owner of ASTEX USA, a supplier of aftermarket HID kits, was ordered to conduct a recall campaign and provide a no-cost solution to the customer. The company is based in Dayton, TX.
When installed in a motor vehicle, the HID kits "can be expected to produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists and others," NHTSA said in its decision.

To date, NHTSA has investigated 24 HID conversion kit suppliers; all investigations have resulted in recalls or termination of sales.

"These illegal lights are a potential hazard to those who share the road," said NHTSA Administrator Jeffrey Runge, MD. "And we will continue to pursue those offering them for sale and violating the law."

Companies that sell, import or manufacture non-compliant equipment could face substantial civil penalties, NHTSA said.

The list of Manufacturers Included (at that date):
RM Racing
Astex USA
Kmax International
FET, Inc.
J. Liu LLC
Gourmet Garage
JC Whitney
Lighting Research
SPW Industries, Inc.
Pacific Micro-lite
McCulloch Motors, Inc.
Santeca Electronics
JF Manufacturing
Streetglow, Inc.
Outback Products, Inc.
Nu Performance
GR Motorsports, Inc.
Global Premier
New Clor
Importhookup.com
DG International
MTC Lighting
Umnitza
Liteglow
[American Products Company was not added because they recalled without government notification]

http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1003 << Mr. 108 was a NHTSA bureacrat that just recently retired. he is now an automotive lighting consultant.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i better hurry up and order mine then. that blows. all because people buy the wrong kits for their cars AND dont aim them correctly. that ____es me off.

i mean come on headlights are to see at night and maybe show off a little. not just show off if your headlights can be brighter than the sun :-\

i love HID because i experenced them side by side with a BMW 5-Series and the HID's for me anyways provide a cleaner sharper light than any other cheap bulb. I do like my silverstars but 15-20 bucks a bulb every year hurts a little. and i cant go back to regular bulbs cuse i can't se crap with them.

anybody got any for sale
Old 06-30-2005, 07:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

XenonKing, I had the worst experience with McCulloch HIDs. I had a WRX with the STI projector headlights. Im not sure how much K they had but only one headlight would function and nobody could figure it out. I had them replaced and after a couple of months I had the same problem. Thats one of the reasons I decide to get my tC, I was completely annoyed and irritated about the headlight situation.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

that may be because you were purchasing generic or fake McCulloch kits, we have less t han a 1% failure right on our kits.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

im not going to watch this topic because i honestly do not want to view this post again but for all of you that want a nice look for your car... get either a 6k or 8k kit. I think the 8k kit is very nice and McCulloch is not a bad kit. My friend put his in in about 25min. Anyway - just so you guys do not need to worry about these bs postings ....get your kits and you will be happy.... no doubt about it. All this illegal bull____ --- i dont know where you guys are from but in the nj area.... most people that have nice cars have hid kits. The stock kits from a company are around 4,500k-6k but i think a touch bluer is nicer. Get the 6or8k bulbs --- prob the 8k bulbs and you will like them..hands down. 6k doesnt give that rich tint like the 8k's do. Jersey people - go 8k and msg me tellling me how much liked my post after the fact. pze
Old 07-01-2005, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Jwaggs, what part of NJ, my girlfirend live in Morristown.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

middlesex county
Old 07-01-2005, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

so are all the projector headlights going to go off the market eventualy? or just bulbs???
Old 07-01-2005, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you guys want a really good kit buy it from this guy on ebay....I bought mine from him and they're the best.....they're actual RX 330 HIDs and ballasts......its 4300k.....also the ballast says Denso and Toyota on it so if you get pulled over just say you bought it that way

Quick Reply: 12000k HID legal?