Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Active Flashdown Photo Jammer - Legal or not? (in cali)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Active Flashdown Photo Jammer - Legal or not? (in cali)

Hi folks,

I'm trying to figure out if the Equalizer VF2 is legal in CA. It detects the infrared flash of a red-light or speed trap camera, and then produces a very bright light directed at the liscence plate. It does NOT aim light back at the originating source of the radar or laser or camera. I haven't seen anyone with these things yet. I don't think they're "technically" illegal since it isn't putting out any signal aside from the light. I suppose a cop could get you for having an illegal distracting light if he sees it go off but the camera won't be able to track you.

I'm sure the cops will hate these things but I don't think they'll be techinically illegal under any of the current laws.

Radar and (I think) Laser Jammers are illegal per VC 28150.

Jamming: Electronic Speed-Measuring Devices
28150. (a) No vehicle shall be equipped with any device that is designed for, or is capable of, jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects.

(b) No person shall use, buy, possess, manufacture, sell, or otherwise distribute any device that is designed for jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects.

(c) Except as provided in subdivision (d), a violation of subdivision (a) or (b) is an infraction.

(d) When a person possesses four or more devices in violation of subdivision (b), the person is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(e) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a person who has a valid federal license for operating the devices described in this section may transport one or more of those devices if the license is carried in the vehicle transporting the device at all times when the device is being transported.

Added Sec. 1, Ch. 493, Stats. 1998. Effective January 1, 1999.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I think it's illegal since radars and cameras won't be able to track you or get a shot at your license plate. But don't quote me on that....
Old 07-03-2007, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: 'Burbs Farmington Hills - go to school in Boulder, CO

sounds like it would be classed as a strobe so check the laws on that too....