Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Anyone here have a TiVo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Anyone here have a TiVo?

I had Dish Network for a while but I'm back on basic Comcast cable now. I'm glad to be done with satellite service, but I do really miss the DVR. That thing was freakin sweet. I would like to buy either a basic DVR that I can use similar to a VCR, or possibly go with a TiVo. I know very little about TiVo. My first question is, do I have to get a cable card installed if I only want the basic channel package? I am not interested in having to upgrade to a bigger service with more channels. Also, with my current TV (Vizio HD LCD) I get all of the major networks in HD without the need for a converter box because it has a built-in QAM tuner. If I get a HD TiVio will I still get those channels in HD? Any help is appreciated! Thanks.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

your better off getting the DVR box from Comcast, I don't think the Cable card broadcasts the HD stations and with if you get a TIVO box, you need the HD one as well as a phone connection for updates.. Comcast offers the Dual Tuner HD DVR for 12 bucks extra a month, and their boxes have HDMI output (component if needed) they offer bout 100 HD stations (depending on package) and all HD channels are broadcast up to 1080i (can change the output to 780p if prefrerred) no 1080p yet, but watching on HD is the best thing yet, and passing up the commercials is the best.

I have Comcast as well and have 2 HD DVRs, 1 in the living room, and in the bedroom. They work great, can do season recordings, start early and end late on recordings. Doesn't have all the flair that TIVO has, but it does it job.