Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

audio shop problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default audio shop problem

I bought a power bass 500 watt amp to power my phoenix gold component speakers, already having everything to install the amp except for 8 gauge wire, i was out to look for the proper wire, then go home to install. I dropped by a new local audio shop to see if they had the wire i needed, they didnt sell it by the foot, so he offered to just install the amp for me, for around $50. I decided thatd be fine, just to have it all done and not worry about installing myself. I left my car there and waited as they began installing the amp. 1 hour passed, 2 hours passed. i asked the owner for an updated time as to when they would be done. he told me it would take another 45 minutes or so. so i went home for an hour then went back up to the audio shop and the owner told me theres a problem with the sound protection or something like that and that there is no power to my woofers, headunit, or component speakers.. he said the amp isnt that great of quality in the first place (while im thinking.. they sell the exact same amp there... the amp is brand new, and everything worked in the car when i dropped it off) he told me to give him a little longer, so i went back home. i went back up there around 5:30 (they close at 6) and asked him what the problem is. The owner tells me the unit is all "blown up" (as if im about 10 years old and dont know a thing about car audio) i ask him what he's going to do about it.. he tells me that he'll order some clarion head unit on monday, that will be over night shipped and he'll be able to install on tuesday.. which means ill have to give him my car for another 30 minutes- 1 hour.. he says he'll find a place to have my pioneer unit repaired and once its fixed, ill drop my car off again and he'll switch the units out so ill have my original unit back (and he'll put the Clarion unit in his truck).. again that will take another 30 minutes- 1 hour. he isnt charging me for the install or 1 or 1.5 feet of 8 gauge wire...

the head unit i had in the car was a pioneer AVH-P4000DVD which cost me about $400
the questions im asking myself are.. am i getting treated fairly? will a repaired head unit be prone to problems down the road? how much does it usually cost to have them repaired?
should i demand he just order a new pioneer avh-p4000dvd unit to put in my car instead of having my old one repaired?

in the mean time i have no working head unit.

CLIFF NOTES- took my car to a new local anonymous audio shop to have a simple component speaker amp installed and left 4 hours later with a broken head unit.

guess this it kind of a rant..
if anyone can answer my questions or suggest something, post up!

thanks