Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Off-topic Cafe (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/off-topic-cafe-1609/)
-   -   Cop made me take off my Tint! Help! (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/off-topic-cafe-1609/cop-made-me-take-off-my-tint-help-78537/)

Big_Bird 10-24-2006 02:31 PM

if they dont believe you, turn to the dashboard cam

DouBLeJ16 10-24-2006 02:35 PM

About 3 weeks ago I had to get the tint removed from my windshield.. It was a fix-a-ticket but it still sucked.. I loved having the windshield tinted.

My side windows and back window are all 5% and he didn't say anything about them at all. I guess I got lucky.

brownKIDDnate 10-24-2006 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by kdog_1981
whats the law in FL for tint??

27% front windows, 15% rear and back windows

i got 5% in FL, cops can go have a day at dunkin donuts for all i care :P

oldmanatee 10-24-2006 02:39 PM

And driving off would have solved which problem??? Other than where he would be sleeping that night.
Most cops are useless IMO. Too many personal stories to relate here, but in the end, you were illegal and were pulled over for it. The one with the gun is right. But that doesn't mean that being right at that moment can't be overturned in a court of law.
You had many options, but at the time, you had a good reason to not think it thru. If it happens again, or something simular happens and you are not being threatened or threatening, simply and respectfully ask to have his supervisor to be dispatched to the scene. If he won't call, simply dail 911 and requst that the super be dispatched. Or any other branch of law enforcement. If you get arrested, you just have a false arrest to add to the charges against you. That will be laughed out of court along with any other charges.
I hate to bring this up, but are 2 different races involved here? It sounds like a little profiling is going on...and let's hope that there is no discrimination involved....
All the statements about breaking further laws or inflicting bodily harm are the thoughts of uneducated people. That will only get you very hurt.

jallamas 10-24-2006 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by oldmanatee
And driving off would have solved which problem??? Other than where he would be sleeping that night.
Most cops are useless IMO. Too many personal stories to relate here, but in the end, you were illegal and were pulled over for it. The one with the gun is right. But that doesn't mean that being right at that moment can't be overturned in a court of law.
You had many options, but at the time, you had a good reason to not think it thru. If it happens again, or something simular happens and you are not being threatened or threatening, simply and respectfully ask to have his supervisor to be dispatched to the scene. If he won't call, simply dail 911 and requst that the super be dispatched. Or any other branch of law enforcement. If you get arrested, you just have a false arrest to add to the charges against you. That will be laughed out of court along with any other charges.
I hate to bring this up, but are 2 different races involved here? It sounds like a little profiling is going on...and let's hope that there is no discrimination involved....
All the statements about breaking further laws or inflicting bodily harm are the thoughts of uneducated people. That will only get you very hurt.

:come: Read this person's post very carefully! especially the last line but I will add the word "killed" :clap:

John

oldmanatee 10-24-2006 05:48 PM

That was the implied wording....

Thanks.

Bob

miamibusta69 10-24-2006 08:18 PM

we are both white so its not that... plus he probly doesnt remember me last time i saw him was over a year ago and i got a body kit..

i dont think its right to threaten me like that even when i told him he cannot arrest me for my tints and that i should have 2 weeks.. hes like no you take them off now or you go to jail then hes like how old are you im like 18 hes like well then you know what jail you get to stay at..
i told him i wanted to call a lawyer and he said by the time you get him onthe phone you will be towed and in the back of my car. i Mean im not robbing people or raping them i just have tints JEEZ ! i would of told him to take me to jail but i had a bottle of alchohol that m friend left in my car with like a table spoon of liquid in it but i just figured he woud find that in the end and use it aganst me so i pulled that tint off and spend like an hour removing it from the window and taking he door panels off... not fun

oldmanatee 10-24-2006 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by miamibusta69
we are both white so its not that... plus he probly doesnt remember me last time i saw him was over a year ago and i got a body kit..

i dont think its right to threaten me like that even when i told him he cannot arrest me for my tints and that i should have 2 weeks.. hes like no you take them off now or you go to jail then hes like how old are you im like 18 hes like well then you know what jail you get to stay at..
i told him i wanted to call a lawyer and he said by the time you get him onthe phone you will be towed and in the back of my car. i Mean im not robbing people or raping them i just have tints JEEZ ! i would of told him to take me to jail but i had a bottle of alchohol that m friend left in my car with like a table spoon of liquid in it but i just figured he woud find that in the end and use it aganst me so i pulled that tint off and spend like an hour removing it from the window and taking he door panels off... not fun

OK, the alcohol would not have helped you in that situation....Good call in not pressing it. :P
But no, he had no right to threaten you. I'd go to court over this, but first, if this was in the last few days, call the watch commander, and file a written grievance against this waste of taxpayer's money. With his attitude, he is not fit to be a night watchman at the city dump!

Remember, the mayor frowns on false arrest charges, and the 6 o'clock news loves them. Next time you 2 meet up, have your car cleaned out and let him take you in.....

Rodney King to you....

JohnathonSull 10-24-2006 09:03 PM

that sucks, I had a similar experience here in phoenix. I was in the far right lane at a red light. the light turned green and I went forward only to find I was going to be entering a right only lane to go onto the freeway and I needed over into the lane over to my left. no one was in my left lane so I changed lanes. there was some construction going on and some officers where directing traffic. one of the officers saw me and motioned for me to pull over. so I complied and he came over yelling at me that I made an illegal lane change and endangered traffic and he would have taken me to jail for unsafe driving if he wasn't so busy. I changed into an empty lane prolly 50 feet from the solid white lane! I made a legal lane changed and he still spazed out. I work for the state and find myself working a lot with highway patrol and city cops due to me working in construction. they are usually pretty nice cops. I just think they get tired of young kids (myself included) who drive the lowered cars on rims with loud exhuasts. he prolly chases a ton of racers all the time and assumes anyone with an exhuast, lowered and tint races and they are a lot stricter. if you would have had a ford f250 or tahoe or maxima they would have been easier on you due to them not thinking of you being a kid who just thinks he's cool with his little hot rod. age and the type of vehicle you drive will determin how strict and _____y they are to you. you can thank fast and furious for this

oldmanatee 10-24-2006 09:21 PM

Not necessarily... I am 46 and was threatend to be arrested because when my wifes car was broken into and her purse stolen, I dared to tell the worthless cop that it was not our fault that someone broke into my car!!!!!! Let's just say that we had a different opinion. And I was respectful, until then....

JohnathonSull 10-24-2006 09:42 PM

disgruntl cops. as long as they don't go postal :rofl:

Tomas 10-24-2006 10:03 PM

If the OP's cop is anything like the cops in my area, 3000 miles away, by the time he had him stopped because he thought his tint was too dark, the screen in the police car was already showing his previous fix-it for the same offense.

To the officer, that is proof that he can not be trusted to actually comply with a legal order to remove the unlawful tint once he is out of sight, so he ordered him to remove it so that he is certain there is compliance THIS time.

As to the "18%" reading, the OEM windows are approximately 98%, so 20% tint will give an 18% reading on them. In any case, there is little doubt the tint was too dark. In fact, the OP had the tint applied to his windows KNOWING that it was darker than was allowed by law. (The reason for the odd "27%" legal limit is that allows a 30% tint to be used on the usual 97-98% factory windows.)

The BS about tinted windows vs sunglasses is an apples and oranges comparison. First off, sunglasses do not block an officer or other driver from looking into the car, and sunglasses can be removed at night. Duh.

Yeah, the cop got tough and demanded compliance NOW, but the OP had already proved he cannot be trusted, by being stopped for the second time for having illegal tint.

Suck it up, you admitted your tint was illegal and that you knew it was, now if you replace the tint, maybe you'll do it legally.

(Repeat offenders bug the Hell out of me - no sympathy. First time MIGHT be a mistake. Second time there is no excuse.)

Tomas

citizen01 10-24-2006 10:11 PM

Best advice I can give is don't be an ___. If you get pulled over for speeding don't act like they ruined your day. You were breaking the law. Honesty and Courtesy are always your best bet. I have avoided two tickets that way. Cop pulled me over next to my house for running that stop sign that everybody runs... he said "I'll bet you do this everyday don't you?" I said yes I probly do officer but I'll definately think twice next time" They respond way better to that than if your an ___. oh... and if your a girl... just cry. I have yet to hear of an officer give a teenage girl in tears a ticket.

With that said... All cops are a**holes by nature.

citizen01 10-24-2006 10:13 PM

LOL... That's awesome!!! I wrote a** originally then I remembered the rules and went to change it but it got written as butt!

SL RULES!!!

JohnathonSull 10-24-2006 11:01 PM

lol

surfcity40 10-24-2006 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by miamibusta69
also i have gotten 3 tickets in my life and this a hole has been the cop each time. 1st time it was for my tint before school about 2 years ago.

Here's a site for state by state tint laws:
http://www.tintlaws.com

Gotta agree with Tomas on this one and I'd add that I bet when the officer pulled up the original tint violation, he recalled he actually cited him the first time. I'd have made him remove it in front of me as well.

miamibusta69 10-25-2006 03:40 AM

i doubt it said i had a fix it ticket from to years ago.. any way its a fix it or ticket i cose ticket and paid the fine the 1st time. why a change now? i think i make sense

well this guy is an a hole you would not beleive the things he has said to me . and him being an officer of the law it made me feel very small. worse than my parents !

im taking him to court screw that. if you make me take my tints off by hand i dont think i deserve a ticket. and the ticket price has gone up 20 bucks ....

Tomas 10-25-2006 04:31 AM

I don't know about your state, but in my state that 'record' of past offenses that shows up when they run the plate reaches back a minimum of three years... And a "fix-it ticket" doesn't mean just pay the fine, but fix the problem. If the license check showed a previous fix-it for tint, and he sees that two years later the car is STILL illegally tinted... :lalala:

He may be a butt, but you were the repeat offender flaunting the law by still having illegally tinted windows after being legally ordered not to. You can't even use the excuse "I didn't know" for the second time 'round.

Be interesting to listen to that 'court case.' :) "He made me take my TINT off! And he STILL gave me a ticket! He can't DO that!" Yup.

Shoulda learned the first time. :D

Tomas

JohnathonSull 10-25-2006 04:55 AM

I agree. I still don't think he had to be a jerk about it, but you had already been told about the tint and still did it anyway. I don't think you have much of a court case.

oldmanatee 10-25-2006 12:49 PM

To me, the tint offence is a given, the attitude is unexcuseable.
If I break the law, i will pay that price. But, I demand respect just like you think you deserve.