Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Driving off at the gas station with the nozzle still in the

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 10:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Driving off at the gas station with the nozzle still in the

Driving off at the gas station with the nozzle still in the car :-(

Earlier this morning at almost 3am, me and my friend, LuvDaLex, were about to go on a canyon run. Since were running low on fuel, we both stopped by a gas station to fill up.

After we filled up, he took off so I hopped in the car to go after him but I totally forgot that the nozzle is still in the car. The hose separated from the couple as I drove off.

I ended filling out paperwork with the gasoline station attendant afterwards. Does anyone know how much this would cost me?
Old 04-29-2006, 10:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dear god... you sir, are an idiot.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol , ... where you do your canyon runs ?
Old 04-29-2006, 10:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nchyflyer
Dear god... you sir, are an idiot.
Hey $#!T happens to everyone alright??????
Old 04-29-2006, 10:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

ok now thats out of the way...... it broke appart at the coupler right??? probably about 4-5ft of hose and the nozzel went with you when you took off?? out side of clean up costs and pending damage to the hose, nozzel and coupler... It shouldnt be that much.... i'm pretty sure those couplers are just super strong magnetic connections( i could be wrong but i think i read that somewhere long ago) maybe a gasket or sealent or something along with it..

but with gass companies making bank on just about everything....... I'd say you SHOULD get away for under 1grand... but thats presuming minimal damage to all equipment involved and a cleanup/inspection fee

i'm sure it happens more than people would like to admit... either on accident or on purpose...
Old 04-29-2006, 11:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

good thing you didn't run. one of my friends didnt even know it happened and drove away. they arrested him and he had to serve time.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:43 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i took a picture of it... just in case man

Old 04-29-2006, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kkawana

ok now thats out of the way...... it broke appart at the coupler right??? probably about 4-5ft of hose and the nozzel went with you when you took off?? out side of clean up costs and pending damage to the hose, nozzel and coupler... It shouldnt be that much.... i'm pretty sure those couplers are just super strong magnetic connections( i could be wrong but i think i read that somewhere long ago) maybe a gasket or sealent or something along with it..

but with gass companies making bank on just about everything....... I'd say you SHOULD get away for under 1grand... but thats presuming minimal damage to all equipment involved and a cleanup/inspection fee

i'm sure it happens more than people would like to admit... either on accident or on purpose...
Thats alot of freakin money
Old 04-29-2006, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The last time that happened at my gas station the bill ran about $4-500 but the man also broke the actual coupler when he drove off. Then again it depends on what happened and where. We have extra nozzles and hose lying around just incase but I will tell you my father was super ____ed cause of money lost on the pump for a day. What can you do? I would expect to be well under 1K, but wait and see.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default .....NO SELF SERV....

One lady pumped 40 gallons into her trunk. Hazmat response was not billed to the recipiant at that time, they are now.
This is why the state of NEW JERSEY required that an employee pumps the gas.
You can open the gas door and remove and replace the gas cap, but the law says that there is NO self serve in New Jersey.

The last time that I was in New Jersey, I pulled in for cheap gas. I asked to be filled with regular 87 unleaded. The NON-ENGLISH speaking illegal alien started pumping high test into my XB. I protested strongly, shut off the pump and demanded to know what da F.
This is when I learned that he cound not speak a word of english.
If you want to pump my gas then you have to speak english. FROM NOW ON!
Old 04-29-2006, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by hornet_on_the_flower
i took a picture of it... just in case man

I saw this pic on Break.com...
Old 04-30-2006, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Originally Posted by kkawana

Thats alot of freakin money
Yeah its a lot of money... but I'm just guessing... and would rather give you high end # than a low end...then be surprised and need more $$
Old 04-30-2006, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fsr20det
good thing you didn't run. one of my friends didnt even know it happened and drove away. they arrested him and he had to serve time.
After talkin to everyone today, suprisingly, all of them just bailed out and got away. LOL. The worst one I heard is that my coworker/friend took off after the attendent saw it and told him not to leave. He didnt get the plate numbers but thats not the worse part of it. He got into an accident down the street minutes later.

UPDATES:

I went to the station today at 11 am to meet with the owner to kiss as much ___ as I can and apologized. The owner seemed was much nicer and more understanding than the attendant last night.

According to CA laws, a gas station must replace the entire hose when this happens because the stupid enviromentalists dont want the vapors to escape yada yada yada. He said that this isnt a big deal since its an honest mistake and it happens weekly.

Rather than just replacing it as required, he'll get the hose tested for damage. If its not, he'll just not do any paperwork and just replace the coupling and charge me for that.

Hope this goes through well *prays
Old 04-30-2006, 07:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

He said that this isnt a big deal since its an honest mistake and it happens weekly.
There must be alot careless people.

I just hope everything works out for you.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by fsr20det
After talkin to everyone today, suprisingly, all of them just bailed out and got away. LOL. The worst one I heard is that my coworker/friend took off after the attendent saw it and told him not to leave. He didnt get the plate numbers but thats not the worse part of it. He got into an accident down the street minutes later.

UPDATES:

I went to the station today at 11 am to meet with the owner to kiss as much butt as I can and apologized. The owner seemed was much nicer and more understanding than the attendant last night.

According to CA laws, a gas station must replace the entire hose when this happens because the stupid enviromentalists dont want the vapors to escape yada yada yada. He said that this isnt a big deal since its an honest mistake and it happens weekly.

Rather than just replacing it as required, he'll get the hose tested for damage. If its not, he'll just not do any paperwork and just replace the coupling and charge me for that.

Hope this goes through well *prays
this happens weekly? holy crap. ive never seen this happen. lol. good luck with the whole situation!
Old 04-30-2006, 07:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

yikes... weekly??? hmm.. i could see monthly but weekly is kinda scarry!!

anyways.. sounds like they're gonna work with ya... and im sure it helps that you didnt/werent tryin to run from it....

goodluck
Old 04-30-2006, 07:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my dad owns a gas station and this happens alot. It ____es him off cause it slows down the pumps when its shut down.

Its gonna run u at least 500 I'd say cuz the whole hose has to get changed out. One time I did it at my dad's gas station and he went crazy on me until we found out nothing got damaged luckily.

One time me and my homie did the same thing, we drove off at first. I told him to bounce but he had a change of heart and drove back. My dad says, everytime they bounce, they get away.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i thought they were designed to break apart like that? it really costs 500.00 to re connect it? i saw someone do that last week and they just re-hooked it up, maybe it was a different type of pump.......
Old 04-30-2006, 08:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea it depends on the damage. sometimes it jus gets reconnected. But if there is even a tiny bit of evidence that the hose is damaged, my dad said he's more than happy to charge the guy to buy him a new hose

he also said it usually only costs around 250 bux, but gas station owners inflate the price to make a profit or are ____ed off and hike up the price.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i totally agree, i would charge them...... people when they pump there gas are not paying attention, half the time they are yapping ont here phones.

Quick Reply: Driving off at the gas station with the nozzle still in the