Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

GREEN TURN SIGNALS!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 06:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default GREEN TURN SIGNALS!!

I have had green turn signals in the front for 6 months now and i just got a ticket tonight at a safety trafic stop. thay match my green underglow. i have to take them out in 30 days take my car to a police station pay a cop $4 to sign my paper then goto the clerk of the court and pay $50 for the ticket.

Thats just sad. it should be a warning! I didnt know that u can only have white or amber in the front headlights! i will take a b4 and after pics. and yall can decide thich is better looking.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

LOL--the green will certainly look better--but the law says white or amber. You are lucky your underglows were not on. Luckily we don't have saftey stops here in CA or half the Scions would be off the road.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my under glow was on and its not illigal
Old 09-02-2006, 09:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah underglow is still legal in a few states and you can only have white or amber and amber has to be visible rom the side aka reflector and red from the rear sides aka the ugly markers.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Lol, that's better than the "Impersonating an emergency vehicle" ticket my brother got with red front turn signals!!
Old 09-03-2006, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow that sucks, at least you saved me from a ticket I was going to do it haha
Old 09-04-2006, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was going to "clear" the front turn signals,however I found that there is a federal law requiring reflective amber at the front/sides and reflective red to the rear/sides when the light are not on....

just my 1.5 cents worth
Old 09-04-2006, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Where did you find the federal law requiring amber reflectors?
Old 09-04-2006, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Well of course green turn signals are illegal, lol. But how sweet to have them. I've never seen such a thing.

Sorry 'bout the ticket.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I've read the amber thing as well... there was a thread a while back about illegal mods or whatnot and a link was posted to some Gov site about lights and the such...
Old 09-04-2006, 07:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

You got lucky. Some states use green as their Fire Dept emergency lights. It'd be nice to do what we want but you can't really be surprised you got popped. Heck around here they (cops) are just happy to see the light work. You wouldn't believe all the fully shattered windshields there are around here. No one ever gets tickets for that stuff. They only get them like I did for a lightly tinted tag cover.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:07 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The info is straight from the federal lawbooks (Consolidated Federal Regulations) CFR 49.571.108, pages 362 and 363.

Here is is again:

And if you want the entire section to refer to:

http://tijil.org/cfr49.571.108.pdf

Notice also that the current Federal regs require AMBER front turn signals - only OLD cars can have white...
...shall be equipped with electric turn signals which shall indicate an intention to turn by flashing lights showing to the front and rear of a vehicle or on a combination of vehicles on the side of the vehicle or combination toward which the turn is to be made. The lamps showing to the front shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and, when signaling, shall emit amber light: PROVIDED, That on any vehicle manufactured prior to January 1, 1969, the lamps showing to the front may emit white or amber light, or any shade of light between white and amber.
Good thing that stop for green lights wasn't in Washington state: That color is reserved for fire departments ONLY, and it's a lot more than 'change the bulbs and pay $50' to fix it...
RCW 46.37.187
Green light, sign or plate — Identification card required.

Any individual displaying a green light as authorized in RCW 46.37.185, or a sign or plate as authorized in RCW 46.37.186, shall also carry attached to a convenient location on the private vehicle to which the green light or sign or plate is attached, an identification card showing the name of the owner of said vehicle, the organization to which he or she belongs and bearing the signature of the chief of the service involved.
Tomas
Old 09-04-2006, 10:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBlazer01
Lol, that's better than the "Impersonating an emergency vehicle" ticket my brother got with red front turn signals!!
damn, how much was the ticket? I have red in mine right now. I'm just waiting to get popped with a fix-a-ticket, but didn't think about getting one for impersonating an emergency vehicle.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok i asked this before but i dont remember it being answered, what about the side markers, the rear breakones are reflex reflectors, what if i was to just throw a piece of amber relex in the flasher in the front, then it would conform to all specs of the vehicle code, far to the front as possible "well thats as far as my side marker goes."
Old 09-04-2006, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

one of the cops around here told me i couldnt have yellow headlights. But he never wrote me a ticket for them. Ive never seen anything saying that you could not have yellow headlights. I know the old Benz's and Lexis have them. Can anybody point me to some info on this subject?
Old 09-04-2006, 10:55 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
TOCC

SL Member

i was told my silver star turn signals were illegal, they saw the car sitting there, lights off, teh bulbs are silver, but illuminate amber, they said to replace them, but i didnt.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:39 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Again, FMVSS section 108 says no.

Here's the answer form a state Q&A on the subject:
Are colored headlight bulbs permitted?

No, all headlamp bulbs must be white in color as defined by Society of Automotive Engineers and FMVSS 108. FMVSS 108 disallows any color coating on headlights and or headlight bulbs.
(Also
Are turn signal, taillight or headlamp covers permitted?

No. Aftermarket styling ornament or other feature, such as tinted plastic or glass covers, a grille, or slotted covers shall be in front of the headlamp lens, or in front of any other lighting devices installed on motor vehicles.
Tomas
Old 09-04-2006, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

If headlights can't be yellow, all those old cars running standard seal beams (non-halogen) would be in trouble). Then what about amber fog lights? I think you will be safe with yellow tinted lights. If they say anything they are just super bright running lights. LOL
Old 09-05-2006, 12:03 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a diference between fogs and headlights, even in the federal regulations. Yellow fogs are just fine.

Old cars are automatically exempted form most of these current regulations, anyway, but even if they were covered, there is a difference between lamps with a low enough color temp that they appear yellowish (or even orange), and lamps filtered to remove colors other than yellow. Photometrically they are two different and distinct classes of lighting color. The SAE specs notice the difference.

Tomas
Old 09-05-2006, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so what about my sidemarker idea?!?! think theyd buy it.

Quick Reply: GREEN TURN SIGNALS!!