Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

GREEN TURN SIGNALS!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 03:34 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah. Wish I could send copies of all those whines to the judges who are handling the offenses.

Might get some folks 'tuned up' right well. :D

Tomas
Old 11-13-2006, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So yellow underbody neon is OK...? (as a marker light)
Old 11-14-2006, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whiteblazer01 said earlier in this thread that his brother got an impersonating an emergency vehicle ticket, but never responded when I asked what the consequence was. I'm ready to take my red turn signals out. It's been 3 months now, so I think I've already pressed my luck. Have gotten some long looks from cops, but not pulled over.

It's pretty funny when you see those posts about getting ____ed for getting pulled over for illegal mods. You gotta expect to get hassled and face the fines when you start doing these things.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

decided to do the grown up thing, and take out the red turn signals ( They looked way to good with a BSP). Went to the store and picked up a pair of Chromax white bulbs. They have a chrome coating, and are suppose to shine white. Installed them, and the freakin' things look blue to me! So now I went to an Illegal red color to another illegal color of blue. I guess that's what you get when you try to do the right thing.
Can anyone recommend a good turn signal that is clear and shines white? All the white lights I know have the dumb blue coating on them.

I also exchanged my lumininics headlight bulbs out for PIAA's. Don't trust those damn luminics...they get waaaaay to hot for my liking.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ok so i just got pulled over the other night for my supposedly illegal lighting.

Ok, so first off, he told me it was illegal to have my in dash sreen open even though all i was doing with it was using the ipod control screen (which is almost what i always use). I understand watching vids while driving is illegal but im 90% sure using your screen all together is not illegal. If that were the case, every navigation system out there be illegal.

@nd, he said i could not have my OH **** handle lights on (red). Now im almost positive that in md that as long as the bulb (or source of light) is not directly visible, that the glow effect is 100% legal.

He cited me for a lot of stuff which i tried explaining to him. If youve never seen the interior of my box i have A lot of lighting mods including even a glass ball that has lightining in it.

Long story short...is my lighting illegal? And btw i was still wearing my scion dealership uniform, so he said "well maybe u just know more about it than i do"...especially when i told him that my white led mirrors were stock lol. Anyhow, he just let me go....he didnt even use the word warning...
Old 12-18-2006, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i had green turns and side markers for a year.... and then in 1 week, got pulled over twice, not just once, but twice, for the greens....

o well.... i still have green lic. plate leds!
Old 12-19-2006, 07:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

a mere 2 hours after my last posting.... i got freakin' pulled over!

so for the 2 months i had the green lic. plate lights, it was well worth getting pulled over.... again...

ps. i still can't believe i just got pulled over..... i said, "it's Christmas" and the cop smiled and let me go, but still

in other news.... i almost got into a head on accident.... people, beware.... this is the season of drinking (to keep warm i suppose) and driving! be careful on the roads..... thank God for awesome sport suspension!
Old 12-19-2006, 07:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

a stupid question, but that wasn't a moving violation right? it's just a fixit ticket?
Old 12-19-2006, 08:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by saddlesore
I was going to "clear" the front turn signals,however I found that there is a federal law requiring reflective amber at the front/sides and reflective red to the rear/sides when the light are not on....

just my 1.5 cents worth
true but no where that i've goen has ever known / cared/enforced federal auto laws just state laws.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

has anyone actually got a ticket they had to pay for this?
Old 12-19-2006, 01:52 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...no where that i've goen has ever known / cared/enforced federal auto laws just state laws...
So that must mean it is perfectly OK to break whatever laws you don't get caught for.

Another fine example of the amorality we see all around us.

The idea is to obey laws because they are there, not because you might get caught and have to pay for breaking them. That sort of thinking is exactly what gets most actual crimes committed - thinking that as long as one doesn't get caught it's OK.

Gee! I'd like to drive that car over there, nobody's looking...

I can just shoplift this little trinket - I won't get caught.

I can do "X" cause nobody enforces that...

Gimme a break.

This sounds exactly like the sort of amoral request I refused to accept from the world's richest man when he was my client. I patiently explained to him exactly why we couldn't do something the way he wanted us to do it - FCC R&R 68.308 specifically said it was against federal law. What was his response? "I don't care, that's what I want, do it." (I refused, another n00b engineer went ahead and did it, our company was fined and we had to go back and do it right.)

The sort of amorality that thinks the rules do not apply to indivuduals for whatever reason is one of the things taking us down.

OK, I'll shut up again - for awhile.

Tom
Old 12-19-2006, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well said Tomas
Old 12-19-2006, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

ok guys if you compare a reflector in a light to shop lifting , grand theft auto sure.
there is a bit of a difference in an overlooked "safety" issue and outright crimes but i guess in la la land there is not.

whatever floats your guys's boats go ahead.

but hey i'm not the one with green or red turn signals. go after them.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

the funny thing about mis-colored lights is that every time you hit them they say "hey look at me, i'm clearly breaking the law"
Old 12-19-2006, 07:08 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I see, you are just more selective about which laws to ignore. Where is the line if it's not "all" laws? Is there some easily definable point where a law applies, below which certain individuals are exempt from the law?

If laws directly affecting the safety of others aren't on the list, what does it take to make the list?

We are still at the same point: Persons being selective about which laws they will follow (and which laws they will only follow if there is a good chance of being caught and adequately punished).

As soon as one begins to pick and choose which laws apply to oneself, one has taken that first step on the slippery slope of moving into that gray, amoral area where the drive is not to follow the law, but to not get caught breaking it.

(If one does not understand the difference, one certainly shouldn't be trusted with raising children. A BIG part of early training is to get them to do what they should, even when mommy and daddy aren't watching.)

"Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?"

Tom
Old 12-19-2006, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

the reflector isn;t the safety of others. it's so idiots don't run into a parked car.

cars didn;t have em back in the day. and if you use certain bulbs the reflector is still there.

if someone can;t figure out that crimes are bad just cause they see break all laws or break none they must be developmentally challenged.

do you abide by every single law ever?

I know I don't . and I could never expect to abide byu every law ever. the california vehicular code is over 20,000 pages long last I heard. so unknowingly i'd guess that even the best drivers of bone stock vehicles inadvertantly break at least 5-10 laws a day.

vehicle codes are also different than criminal acts.

things done with cars or in cars can be criminal acts .

i wasn;t trying to get into a huge moral argument here

but Vehicular code and Criminal law are entirely DIFFERENT.

I am not advocating anyone go out and break the law . inadvertantly or not.

What i am saying is yes the safety reflector is a federal mandate . yes removing it is against a law. but it is against a law put forth by the federal govt for manufacturers oem or not.

and unless of course your individual state has that law incorporated into their vehicular code in essence it kind of doesnt matter. if your state doesnt figure it worthy enough to get into their vehicular code they cannot , or will not ticket you for it.

i believe a few states do require front and rear reflectors but am not sure and quite frankly don;t want to go waste my early afternoon researching a nil fact.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

tomas...its not worth arguing with this kid...he is always right...its amazing.

if you KNOWINGLY break a rule/law/code/pinky swear promise dont complain if you get in trouble.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by YourNameHere
if you KNOWINGLY break a rule/law/code/pinky swear promise dont complain if you get in trouble.
truth
Old 12-19-2006, 11:24 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And welcome to California, which HAS incorporated the entirety of the fed's vehicle safety code into it's laws - you'll find the actual reference right here in this topic.

...and how can THIS
the reflector isn;t the safety of others. it's so idiots don't run into a parked car.
not be intended to be for the safety of others?

...and if you use certain bulbs the reflector is still there.
I don't know if any BULBS that have built-in reflectors, and certainly not any that would even remotely meet code.

Lastly, knowing that an act is unlawful, yet persisting in doing it, is by no stretch "inadvertant." That is willful and THAT is what this is about. Funny colored lightbulbs and vanished reflectors are not something that just "happens" on any sort of regular basis.

Now everyone go home and find something useful to do.

Tom
Old 12-08-2017, 03:24 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Thumbs up