Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

HID's Illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 06:02 AM
SL Member

Default HID's Illegal?

Dang so i just got pulled over for having 8k HID's, Hmm i didnt know they were illegal they are not that blue. Good thing my paint job distracted the Cop LOL... Oh and another reason was my tint. It was legal he tested it and didnt say anything HAHA..What is going on with cops right now LOL...
Old 04-14-2010, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
It's because your headlights were designed for halogen bulbs, not HIDs.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
I post that and I bought 6000K HID. But that link is truth though. And 8000K is blue, myself might try out 5000K.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

My understanding is that only vehicles with HID already installed as stock option is legal. Any other vehicle not made for HID can techincally get pulled over. But we al know in the state of Washington half or most the time cops ont care or give a rats___. Unless your lights point straight at him and blind everyone.

I guess my question after all that. Is what if we retrofit our headlights with all the components of projectors and HID from a dealership. Would the state patrol inspect it and certify it as legal?
Old 04-14-2010, 12:33 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

^Nope...like you said if your car did not come off the line either with them or as a factory option you are SOL, they can and will ticket you (another reason why I am still stock there!) Sux about the ticket...
Old 04-14-2010, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

honestly, i thinks its dumb to mod the color of your headlights anyways.....it may be brighter but you ever look in your rear view and see that one car on the freeway that sticks out....lol

i dont need to be that guy....because when the cop is on the side of the road thats what he sees all the time.....lol
Old 04-14-2010, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i upgraded to HID's not due to color, but due to brightness (and looks). I have 6000k in mine and yes everyone is correct - HID, aftermarket wise, is illegal. i have had HID's for almost 5 years now and have never been pulled over for them. So far (knock on wood) i haven't been harrassed for any of the aftermarket parts on my car

sucks that you got a tickets - how much was it for?
Old 04-14-2010, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry you got pulled over CiCi. Good thing your tint was legal. I roll my windows down when/if I get pulled over because my tint is a little on the dark side and don't want to get harrassed for it. Lights come on, windows go down, lol.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:39 PM
SL Member

Lol its all good guys i didnt get a ticket and honestly IDC i chose to change to HID's for the color and brightness, if i stand out so be it. ____ my paint job already does stand out, Haha.. anyway i might just change to 6k its all good i can have 8k and 6k, change them when ever i want....Dang cops be sweating me, My sister said "Cici be riding dirty" Thats why they pulled me over....AND OH YEAH I WANNA BE THAT GIRL!!!
Old 04-14-2010, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have some used 6k 9006 if you want. I have no need for them now that I have retrofits. I'll be back in Portland for the weekend if you wanna pick them up.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:45 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Iceman04503
I have some used 6k 9006 if you want. I have no need for them now that I have retrofits. I'll be back in Portland for the weekend if you wanna pick them up.
Omg yes!! Ill take them.. How much?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

From experience, if cops pull u over, and not give u a ticket, u are just pretty much in their "hood". they want to know who goes through their "zone" and if ur car stands out from the rest, they'll make up some excuse to pull u over just to see who u are or to see if ur up to no good. if everything goes well they'll just let u off.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

anything over 6000k in projectors is gonna buy you a ticket.

And yes unless car came from factory with HIDs you cannot put them in legally
Old 04-14-2010, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CiCiTc
Omg yes!! Ill take them.. How much?
I have no use for them so you can have it, no charge. Just PM me with a time you want to meet up.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:10 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dkfung88
From experience, if cops pull u over, and not give u a ticket, u are just pretty much in their "hood". they want to know who goes through their "zone" and if ur car stands out from the rest, they'll make up some excuse to pull u over just to see who u are or to see if ur up to no good. if everything goes well they'll just let u off.

True because all he did was check out my car first then he came up to my window and said two reasons why im pulling you over... LMAO... i was just smiling the whole time... he was asking me where and how i got my car to look like it does. It was funny.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Yup sounds like he was just scoping you out, score on the HIDs tho!^^
Old 04-15-2010, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

you riding dirty in the hood LOL

come one you are not hood your car has an ocean scene on it lol if you were hood your car would look like hell but you be rolling nice shiny Rims LOL

Sorry when i lived in texas i lived in the hood in dallas and that is all i saw crappy cars with nice big shinny clean rims LOL
Old 04-16-2010, 05:05 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Importspeed
you riding dirty in the hood LOL

come one you are not hood your car has an ocean scene on it lol if you were hood your car would look like hell but you be rolling nice shiny Rims LOL

Sorry when i lived in texas i lived in the hood in dallas and that is all i saw crappy cars with nice big shinny clean rims LOL

Lol i know that for sure but at night my car looks like no ocean on wheels it looks crazy not unless you get really close then you can see that i have seaworld on my car ;) Awww i love it!!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 05:49 AM
SL Member

speaking of illegal things, someone told me today that any aftermarket stuff is illegal
is this true or am i too gullible?
Old 04-16-2010, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not sure but heres a question. The headlight bulbs that you buy from an autozone to replace ones that came from the factory are those consider aftermarket? If they are then pretty much everyone is driving around with illegal bulbs.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:59 AM
SL Member

my friend just put HID's into his 93 Civic lol

Quick Reply: HID's Illegal?