Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

HID's Illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 07:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mainly cops just use the HIDS as an excuse to pull you over and see whats going on, especially late at night to get drunk drivers. I work late hours and have been pulled over about 3 or 4 times for them every time the cop was real cool about it and let me go.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Originally Posted by Iceman04503
Not sure but heres a question. The headlight bulbs that you buy from an autozone to replace ones that came from the factory are those consider aftermarket? If they are then pretty much everyone is driving around with illegal bulbs.
If they have DOT approval on them they are perfectly legal, if they Don't, even Halogen bulbs can get you into trouble (technically)

Thank God we're not in California, where fuzzy dice are probably illegal and will get you ticketed.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I heard someone got a ticket because they had the broadway mirror.The reason the cop gave was because it obstructed front view.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:47 AM
SL Member

Pretty Much it seems like cops like to pull people over cuz they have nothing else better to do i talk to alot of cops around the area where i work and one was like yeah im just driving around annoying people im like Nice ___ wipes lol... My friend got pulled over for his exhaust being to low ... lol
Old 04-17-2010, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do what I do make your car so obnoxious that the police will be afraid to pull you over for profiling... I have been pulled over less in my tC than any other car i have ever had....

either that or the rice scares them, wrong type of carbs, (they would rather have doughnuts than rice.)
Old 04-17-2010, 07:37 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

May 3, 2007:
NHTSA Cracks Down on Aftermarket HID Conversion Kits

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is targeting high-intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits for enforcement actions. NHTSA has concluded that it is impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system to HID) that would be compliant with the federal lighting standard, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 108. The noncompliant kits frequently include a HID bulb, a ballast, an igniter, a relay and wiring harness adapters. The NHTSA believes this equipment presents a safety risk to the public since the kits can be expected to produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists. In one investigation, the NHTSA found that an HID conversion headlamp exceeded the maximum allowable candlepower by over 800%.

Under FMVSS No. 108 Section S7.7 (replaceable light sources), each replaceable light source for headlamps must be designed to conform to the dimensions and electrical specifications for the headlamp source it is intended to replace. For example, if an HID kit is marketed as replacing an H1 light source, then it must match the H1's wire coil filament size and location, the electrical connector size and location and the ballast design for use with an H1 light source (which is impossible since there is no ballast). Consequently, companies that are manufacturing HID light sources (e.g., D1S, D1R, D2S, D2R, 9500, etc.) with incandescent light source bases (e.g., H1, H3, H7, H8, H9, H11, H13, HB1, HB2, HB3, HB4, HB5, etc.) should be aware that this light source design would not be one that conforms to FMVSS No. 108, and could not be imported and sold in the United States without violating Federal law. (The importer is treated as the manufacturer and subject to the same fines and penalties that apply to a domestic manufacturer.)

NHTSA has also determined that a commonly used disclaimer "for off-road use only" has no legal meaning and is not recognized by the agency as the manufacturer, importer and retailer are not in a position to control use once a product has been sold. Any equipment offered for sale which is covered by FMVSS No. 108 (headlamps, taillamps, side markers, etc.) must comply with the standard.
http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/kim.ztv.html
http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/deetz.ztv.html
http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/Shih.3.html

HID bulbs in housings designed for Halogen bulbs are simply against federal regulation, and most states' laws echo or include the federal rules.

'Nuff said.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pretty cut and dry....
Old 02-26-2018, 10:57 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Thumbs up

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-26-2018 at 07:13 PM.