Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

I didn't know I bought the EXPLODING ROOF option

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

go back to the dealer and have them readjust the sunroof. When they were trying to fix the rattles on my car they "loosened" up the sunroof so that it did not seal as tightly. It got rid of some of the noises (in a halfassed kind of way) but it let the wind get in on the front edge.

There are several ways to adjust how tight the roof seals with the screws on the side of the tracks. I obviously don't know how to do it myself, but I saw the guy at the dealer do it.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:09 AM
ZTC
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

looks like someone forgot to turn the safety on for their replica James Bond ejector seats

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-07-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZTC
looks like someone forgot to turn the safety on for their replica james bond ejector seats
ROFL. When I took my car in after my sunroof went, someone asked me who it was that I ejected outta my car...
Old 01-16-2007, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by buster71
Originally Posted by ZTC
looks like someone forgot to turn the safety on for their replica James Bond ejector seats
ROFL. When I took my car in after my sunroof went, someone asked me who it was that I ejected outta my car...
Hahaha..that's hilarious!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-07-2018 at 10:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-16-2007, 04:34 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...told ya not to touch that button...

Tom
Old 01-16-2007, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Ok i'll give my insight on this situation. I work in the glass business in Woodbridge, VA. Tempered is tempermental(err bad choice of words) you can beat the crap outta the center of the glass but when you bearly tap the corner and BOOM! It blows up. It happens all the time where I work. we handle tempered all the time. plus exterme temp. change can have an effect as well. It could be 30 degrees out side and 80 degrees in the car and sometimes they'll blow. doesn't happen often but it happens. Or they messed up on on the tempering process.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by duck_dodgers_24_5
the sun roof needs to be safety glass!!!
I would agree with that
Old 01-18-2007, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know....

I don't own a tC but I was thinking of a "solution" or just something to make the situation better.

for anyone that is worried about having the glass shatter, maybe you can do this.... You know that really clear, hard adhesive sheets they put on car noses? the rock blocker stuff? maybe it's possible to get a sheet of this and apply it to the bottom of the sunroof glass.... This doesnt solve whatever underlying problem it is, but in case the glass does shatter for whatever reason, it won't rain down on you and fall into your ears, etc.

just a thought. all sorts of random crap happens on the LIE. remember the doctor that died because a truck bolt got loose, flew threw his Lexus' windshield and impaled his head...?

so not cool...
- sh00k
Old 01-18-2007, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was driving to school about 3 years ago in my old car and it was sunny and nice out and all, so i had the windows down and stuff. but for some reason my friend was cold or something, i dont know, but she turned the heat on instead of putting her window up. and she accidently turned the rear defrost on causing a ton of heat to go onto the rear window.. then BAM the whole thing imploded and fell into the back seat. it was a mess.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW, no way i've never heared of this ever happening
Old 01-22-2007, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Oh yeah, that will happen more often than you guys think. That why I hardley ever turn on the rear defrost. Heat and cold mixing together is bad news for tempered. Oh and tempered glass IS safety glass. you don't want to put laminated in for a sun roof because if anything (and I mean anything) hit the glass, it'll break it in a heart beat. Tempered is strong, just very weird sometimes
Old 01-22-2007, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by lovinmytC
i was driving to school about 3 years ago in my old car and it was sunny and nice out and all, so i had the windows down and stuff. but for some reason my friend was cold or something, i dont know, but she turned the heat on instead of putting her window up. and she accidently turned the rear defrost on causing a ton of heat to go onto the rear window.. then BAM the whole thing imploded and fell into the back seat. it was a mess.
April? hey it's matt from SE! but yeah, the rear defrost will do that.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow. . . that really sucks!
Old 05-31-2007, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default With every Action there is a Reaction

I had a failure today. The front right window top seal separated and slapped against the left rear passenger window several times.

In order for tempered glass to shatter "en masse", it must be hit by something. Asteroids? Alien spacecraft? No.

After reading through the entire thread and seeing the pictures, there is problem with the top left and right windshield rubber seal connection.
When a failure happens, it acts like a baseball bat on top of upper window glass or any place that piece of rubber wants to react.
The initial photos in this thread show a complete failure of this part. The broken rubber seal hit the window and shattered it.

Ironically, I read this post last night and thought that was happening today. I’m fortunate that it did not shatter the top glass, but it scared the s*&t out of me.
The car is in the dealer.

Cheers,
j
Old 05-31-2007, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ the new Sherlock Holmes. Good work, Inspector gadget!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-07-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HA HA HA
Old 06-08-2007, 11:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: I didn't know I bought the EXPLODING ROOF option (PICS)

Originally Posted by buster71
Ridiculous.

This morning, I'm driving to work on the Long Island Expressway, going about 63-65mph. Windows and sunroof all closed, no cars around me, no overpasses to go under, when all of a sudden...

BOOM! Sounds like someone shot a gun right next to my ear. Glass *rained* down all over me and all over the inside of the car, and where previously I had my glass roof over my head, I had clear sky. Moonroof, shattered into a million little pieces.

Took it in to the dealer (what an embarrassing drive that was...), who hooked me up with a rental. Dealer called me today to say everything will be covered under warranty and I can have my car back tomorrow or Saturday. Great.... You know what? i don't even want it back. There is NO WAY IN HELL I will ever feel comfortable driving a tC again, so I'm 99% sure I will be getting rid of it and getting another make/model within the next couple of weeks. I just can't imagine spending my hour long commute wondering and anticipating another breakage.

Sorry for the rant, just be aware that there is probably a serious design flaw in our cars. The roof was closed and there was nothing that could've struck my roof, unless it was dropped from above by a pteradactyl. The thing just seemed to say "Ive had enough" and decided to explode.

I really hope this happens to no one else, but I get a feeling it will.
WTF, first time I've seen that... o.o
Old 05-28-2018, 08:50 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Default Updated

This is STILL a Ongoing Continuing Problem
that has Not Been Resolved:

Shattering Sunroofs Might be More Common than you Think

The glass in my SUNROOF blew off today while I was driving 60mph down the freeway!!!

NHTSA probe's Toyota Scion Moonroof Failures..

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-19-2018 at 01:30 PM.