Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Ipad... Whos excited?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Ipad... Whos excited?

I'm tired of talking and reading about the new second gen tC. So on to another topic. Whos excited about the Ipad and whos getting one? LOL. Sorry i'm just bored doing work study on campus.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

i wouldnt touch that thing with a 10 foot pole and i am an admitted apple fanboy

i would rather use my macbook pro
Old 04-02-2010, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm curious to try some of the apps on it... but have no real desire to own one (or pay for one).
Old 04-02-2010, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My reaction is that its an oversized itouch. Not even an oversized iphone.
It's going to be funny seeing ppl's reaction when it comes out. Just like their reactions when the iphone first came out. Everyone getting all excited.
And then a week or so later theres going to be problems with the ipad and then its going to be funny to see ppls reactions then.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

not
Old 04-05-2010, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Anyone who buys an iPad, is a moron.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

MEH
Old 04-07-2010, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
United Imports
SL Member

i here their having wifi issues. i would never buy one. iphone is all i need
Old 04-07-2010, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ill have one in my shop before the weeks over i guarantee it
Old 04-07-2010, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

huge waste of money!
Old 04-13-2010, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow... I'm surprised at the lack of enthusiasm for the iPad. I'm waiting for the 3G model to deliver... probably going to pick up a 16gig 3G. I played with one at the Apple store for about half an hour and I'm impressed. The apps look great... everything is fast... and surfing the web on it just feels "right". I'm not and Apple fan-boy... I have owned two iPods (and a Newton back in the day), but that's it for Apple products. I don't like Macs. However, PC manufacturers have wasted a lot of time that they could have spent perfecting tablet PCs. Running a full OS like Windows 7 on a tablet is a waste. A tablet like the iPad needs an OS and a processor that are designed to work together flawlessly... and Apple has done it right.

The iPad does pretty much everything I want:

- web surfing (WAY better than on my Blackberry)
- mobile email (again, WAY better than on a tiny smartphone screen/keyboard)
- photos - basically the iPad is a kick-a$$ digital photo frame and more
- video - Netflix... 'nuff said.
- mobile internet - 3G model, of course... the plans are pay-as-you-go and are cheap.

All the other functions are gravy. The Yahoo app looks awesome... it's like the worlds best TV guide and a lot more. Way better than surfing through the channels on my cable box.

Yeah, it's a little pricey... and I think they are charging way too much for the memory upgrades... but the price will come down with the second gen, just like iPod. Remember, the first iPod was almost $500! My Netwon was more than $600, and that was in 1994 (which would be over $1,000 in today's money).
Old 04-13-2010, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

defiantly not worth the 600-1000 to carry around a big iphone/ipod touch. Has no really logical use for home apps because you have a computer at home.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DJ, you should try using one... it is much different than an ipod touch. Mainly because the screen is actually a useful size. It is a lot faster, too. The awesome thing about it is holding the internet in your hand. Lay back on the couch and hold it like a book... sit in a coffee shop or restaurant and have it right there with you. A laptop is a little too big to be comfortable... and netbooks have small screens. But mainly is it about the interface. Ever since the graphical user interface, computers have been begging to be touch screen. The way the processor and the software work together makes it very fast and seamless in a way that a desktop or notebook can't replicate. Think about the difference between an ipod and a cheap MP3 player... the cheap one might do the same thing... technically speaking... but the ipod does it better. Better interface... better software/hardware integration. You almost don't need a manual with an ipod or an ipad because they work the way you'd expect them to. Maybe you have to use one to understand.

A lot of you guys are a little too young to realize what Apple has done. Apple introduced the ipod less than 9 ears ago, and now it is almost standard for all cars to have an ipod input for the stereo. It took a lot longer than that for CD platers to become that common... and they weren't even manufacturer-specific. CD players came out in 1982 (before many of you were born) and were not very common in cars even 15 years later.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to me the ipad is an over priced itouch and netbook rolled into one
Old 04-14-2010, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by mcbrew
DJ, you should try using one... it is much different than an ipod touch. Mainly because the screen is actually a useful size. It is a lot faster, too. The awesome thing about it is holding the internet in your hand. Lay back on the couch and hold it like a book... sit in a coffee shop or restaurant and have it right there with you. A laptop is a little too big to be comfortable... and netbooks have small screens.
I stopped reading here. Netbooks generally have 9-11" screens. The iPad has a 9.7" screen. Stop contradicting yourself.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
I stopped reading here. Netbooks generally have 9-11" screens. The iPad has a 9.7" screen. Stop contradicting yourself.
No way! I'm going to keep contradicting myself! I love it!

Okay, let me put it this way... to me, the ipad screen in "portrait" orientation is much better at displaying a web page than a netbook screen with a "landscape" orientation. I use a netbook from time to time (does not belong to me, though), and I find it tedious.

I did want a netbook... well, I thought I did. My laptop is just not that portable, and my wife uses it, too... so it is hard to take it with me. It has a 2-3 hour battery life... less if I am doing something interesting with it. The iPad has a true 9.5+ hour battery life... even watching videos the whole time. Many reviewers have reported 12+ hours. Running 3G only cuts that down to 9 hours, according to Apple. Running 3G on my laptop cuts battery life quite a bit. Not to mention that the 3G on my laptop costs $60 a month instead of $30 a month for the iPad, and the laptop 3G isn't really unlimited. They (Verizon) don't recommend doing a lot of large downloads and they say that they will cut off service if you use it too much. They don't say what "too much" is, though.

Anyway... I have played with a couple of iPads in the Apple store and Best Buy... and the only way to put it is that you have to use it to realize what it is all about. Oh, and you should check out some of the apps for it. I don't see myself using the laptop very often once I get the iPad.

The way I see it, a laptop is like a pickup truck or SUV. Lots of people tell you that they "need" their pickup or SUV for hauling big stuff, carrying lots of passengers, etc. But they only do these things 1% of the time. The rest of the time, they would be much better off in a smaller, more efficient car. Now, what if it was a REALLY well thought out small car like a Mercedes a-class. Very efficient, cutting edge, ergonomically correct, and good looking. Sure, it won't haul 3,000 pounds of fire wood... but it covers whaat 99% of people actually need 99% of the time... and does it really well and with major style. That's the iPad.

Having been into computers for a few decades, it seems pretty funny to me because people were saying the same thing about laptops vs desktops. Nobody in their right mind would want a laptop because it can't do what a desktop can do. You can't put in whatever video card you want. You can't add internal peripherals. They're jsut expensive toys. They can't get the job done. Now look... everyone has a laptop.

I'll be in line for a 3G model tomorrow...
Old 04-30-2010, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by mcbrew
No way! I'm going to keep contradicting myself! I love it!

Okay, let me put it this way... to me, the ipad screen in "portrait" orientation is much better at displaying a web page than a netbook screen with a "landscape" orientation. I use a netbook from time to time (does not belong to me, though), and I find it tedious.

I did want a netbook... well, I thought I did. My laptop is just not that portable, and my wife uses it, too... so it is hard to take it with me. It has a 2-3 hour battery life... less if I am doing something interesting with it. The iPad has a true 9.5+ hour battery life... even watching videos the whole time. Many reviewers have reported 12+ hours. Running 3G only cuts that down to 9 hours, according to Apple. Running 3G on my laptop cuts battery life quite a bit. Not to mention that the 3G on my laptop costs $60 a month instead of $30 a month for the iPad, and the laptop 3G isn't really unlimited. They (Verizon) don't recommend doing a lot of large downloads and they say that they will cut off service if you use it too much. They don't say what "too much" is, though.

Anyway... I have played with a couple of iPads in the Apple store and Best Buy... and the only way to put it is that you have to use it to realize what it is all about. Oh, and you should check out some of the apps for it. I don't see myself using the laptop very often once I get the iPad.

The way I see it, a laptop is like a pickup truck or SUV. Lots of people tell you that they "need" their pickup or SUV for hauling big stuff, carrying lots of passengers, etc. But they only do these things 1% of the time. The rest of the time, they would be much better off in a smaller, more efficient car. Now, what if it was a REALLY well thought out small car like a Mercedes a-class. Very efficient, cutting edge, ergonomically correct, and good looking. Sure, it won't haul 3,000 pounds of fire wood... but it covers whaat 99% of people actually need 99% of the time... and does it really well and with major style. That's the iPad.

Having been into computers for a few decades, it seems pretty funny to me because people were saying the same thing about laptops vs desktops. Nobody in their right mind would want a laptop because it can't do what a desktop can do. You can't put in whatever video card you want. You can't add internal peripherals. They're jsut expensive toys. They can't get the job done. Now look... everyone has a laptop.

I'll be in line for a 3G model tomorrow...
I have played with it, it's an iPod touch that's a PITA to carry because it doesn't fit in your pocket. Or, it's a giant iPhone minus the phone and camera aspects.

So essentially, going by your comparison and what the iPad does compared to a netbook/laptop, you're buying a $50,000 econobox that does absolutely nothing but go from point A to point B. Rather than buying a much less expensive econobox that does a lot more for only $10,000.

And I think your view on people using laptops is a little...off. I'm on a laptop right now, a 15.4" Dell that was issued to me by my work. Everyday, I use Excel, Outlook, DOCS, Adobe, Word, etc. There isn't a single thing the iPad can do, that would be able to contribute to my job. There are apps that let you do some of that stuff, but they all suck compared to the real things. Now, I know there isn't a large chunk of the population that is given a laptop for work, but are you seriously implying that only 1% of the population uses things like Photoshop, Adobe Flash, Excel, etc on a regular basis?

And yes, people said the same thing about desktops vs laptops. How long ago was this? Exactly. Your point is moot, because laptops today can do everything desktop PC's can. This isn't 1996, when laptops were 40 lbs and had a 1 hour battery life and a 2 hour boot up time. And yes, you CAN install a new video card, and you CAN upgrade your memory, and you CAN upgrade the processor, and you CAN upgrade the HDD. Stop living in the 90s. Maybe that's why you want an iPad, because it's at the point the laptop was 10 years ago.

64GB

• Ships: By May 7th
  • Free Shipping
  • $829.00
So considering how retarded the price of the iPad is (I had no clue it was THAT much for the 64GB), let's do a quick comparison between the Macbook and iPad.

Portability : iPad, only because it's a whopping 3 lbs lighter. They both still need some kind of bag/case to carry around. Also, support for 3G means internet in more places. That also means $400 per year (inc tax).
Battery life : On a single charge, iPad by 1-3 hours. If you have a spare battery, Macbook by 4-6 hours.
Performance : Macbook. More memory, faster processor, bigger HDD.
Web Browsing : Macbook. Bigger screen, higher resolution, flash support, silverlight support, and you're not forced to run ____ty Safari.
Movies : Macbook. Higher resoultion, DVD support, more HDD space to store movies, ability to watch movies/TV on services more services, other than just iTunes or Netflix.
Games : Macbook. No reason to even bother comparing.
Productivity : Macbook. Again, no reason to bother comparing.
Price : Macbook. Base Macbook = $1000, loaded iPad over 1 year span = $1200, 2 year span = $1600, etc.
Accessories : Macbook by a landslide. USB support.
Camera : Macbook.
Typing : Macbook. Touching real keys > touch screen.

Now, replace the Macbook with a Dell, and you get the same results. However, you can get a desktop replacement AND a netbook for LESS than the iPad. Don't believe me? Go price out a Dell Inspiron 14, there is a $200 option for it called Mini 10. That means you get the Mini 10 for only $200 with the laptop. So you could spend $800 on the Dell 10" netbook, which does everything the iPad does, but better and matches the iPad battery life...and basically get a 14" laptop for free.

Last edited by CarbonXe; 04-30-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL..obviously he has never been to a college campus in the last few years..go anywhere on a campus and you will see a majority of the students on laptops..if they aren't playing WOW they are using some sort of word processor, art tablet, photoshop, music programs, etc...not even just students but the professors as well.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Ha! I completely forgot about college students too .

That really solidifies the 99% of the population who have never needed anything other than a web browser for their computing needs.

Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention. You said you think the iPad is great for photos because it could be a digital picture frame, right?. Quick question, how do you plan on getting photos on it? You can't take pictures with it. You can't hook up a camera to it via USB. You can't insert a flash card anywhere. Oh, that's right! You need to use a Laptop or PC to get your pictures onto it!
Old 04-30-2010, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't seen one ipad on my campus since it first came out.

Quick Reply: Ipad... Whos excited?