Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Moon Roof Glass Exploding

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member

Default Moon Roof Glass Exploding

So,

Rolling down the highway about 65 windows up listening to some tunes and Boom! sounded like a gun went off...

The Moon Roof (rear top glass) exploded...

no obvious entry point I.E. rock or other debris making a hole...

All glass still mostly intact, perimiter of glass making its way down the hatch rail under the hatch glass...

Toyota said it was covered... They were amazed...

Just for the record, I saw NOTHING headed toward the car.
The manager also said that the manual stated that your not supposed to travel with the windows down above 50ish miles per hour.

So just FYI guys,

I guess I am the first new tC to have the glass explode
Old 06-07-2011, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow. Glad your ok. I'm sure you jumped when you heard that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (sweet!)
Old 06-07-2011, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's all that air pressure stuff. Same thing happens to alot of other cars with a moonroof, heard alot about it from late-model Subaru owners.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:53 AM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

So were your windows down or up? Was the roof open or closed? You stated the manual says not to have the windows down above 50mph, but you said they were up when the roof cracked. I know the manual for the 1G states to close the roof above 55mph, but nothing about the windows.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ Ditto on all that. Details please. If nothing else, just to help educate folks who may not have (or ever) read their owners manual.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:40 AM
5 Year Member

i would rather expect the glas to break when you got the sunroof closed and not opened lol.... :X my sis had that with her seat leon... she was just driving and randomly the back window just broke apart in a million peaces :D. she was shocked, i was amazed :D
Old 06-07-2011, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jon
So were your windows down or up? Was the roof open or closed? You stated the manual says not to have the windows down above 50mph, but you said they were up when the roof cracked. I know the manual for the 1G states to close the roof above 55mph, but nothing about the windows.
+1
I have the same confusion here...
Old 06-09-2011, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member

Heh,

Dealer called me today and told me to come pick up the car...
When I arrived, they informed me that they were not going to pay for it because "Toyota Engineering" stated that the glass HAD to be damaged by some debris.

I will upload the pictures, The glass is blown OUT.... The service manager said that The glass blowing out would be a future problem, If I ride around with the windows up and the AC on....

Let me get this straight, I can't live in TEXAS and ride with the windows down over 55 because the buffeting air... and I can't operate the AC with the windows up cause the air PRESSURE will blow the glass out from the inside?

I could start a poll on "Guess how much the glass costs to replace?"

Its 2000 bucks... 700 of which is labor...

Oh yea, thats right you have to replace the whole top of the car, and thats no exaggeration, Front top glass, Sun roof, and rear top "MOON" roof is a single assembly. None of this includes the scratches in the paint from the glass bouncing off...

I am a little ____ed but hey one peice of eagle poop with a rock in it and boom a gunshot noise later and you have a convertible.

Freeman Toyota Off of 820 in Hurst...

After I just bought new Rims and a custom LIC plate for 5 years... thousands of dollars later, for SCIONs rep.. and they shiv me.

How to you say ___ clowns in Japanese?
Old 06-09-2011, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I have to check when service opens in the morning, but I believe someone is lying...
Old 06-09-2011, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With the problem I'm having with my roof and hearing the story like this, I'll never buy another car with panoramic sunroof.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by WellesleyScion
I have to check when service opens in the morning, but I believe someone is lying...
Keep me posted,

Thanks for any light you can shed...
I am not enjoying the purchase.
LOVE the car, hate the dealership.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:06 AM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like a quality control/design flaw issue rather than a risk with having a pano roof.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So having a panoramic sunroof is a hazard?? And can't enjoy it?? Does anyone know approx how many reports there are do to panoramic sunroof exploding?
Old 06-09-2011, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hit up Scion Corporate. they seem to get things solved way better than stealerships.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, i'm not following.

the most important question (that i might have missed the answer to) is was the moon roof opened? i dont care about the side windows, i don't care about the AC, but was the moonroof itself cracked open or fully opened or just closed?

cause it makes total sense for it to explode if your going 55 mph if it was cracked or fully opened.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they're full of ____. there isn't a single page of the owner's manual that says what speeds you can and can't travel witht he windows and sun roof open. i have an 05 tC, i've driven over 100 mph with the sun roof open. never a single problem with the glass exploding.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:02 AM
5 Year Member

I always drive around at freeway speeds (55-75mph) with the sunroof cracked open. Sometimes I have the side windows up, half down, fully down, A/C on, off whatever. I've never had any problems with mine besides the random rattling noises, which I assume are from cheap parts.

This is quite ridiculous. But thanks DFWGTO for informing us about this. Sorry you have to go through this.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

x2 with what draxcaliber said. I have a tC1 and so far no issues with windows up, roof close, and A/C on full blast, just the usual rattle when opened half way or more. Might be better at another dealership I guess. If the dealership claims the statement/warning is in the car owner manual pull yours out and have THEM show you.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:41 AM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

if you really have to pay that much and have the WHOLE thing replaced anyways...

i say take ur anger out with a hammer to the other glasses...cover up the interior and other parts of the car of course

then tell the dealership to fix it
Old 06-09-2011, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by XerotC
ok, i'm not following.

the most important question (that i might have missed the answer to) is was the moon roof opened? i dont care about the side windows, i don't care about the AC, but was the moonroof itself cracked open or fully opened or just closed?

cause it makes total sense for it to explode if your going 55 mph if it was cracked or fully opened.

To clairify:

All windows were closed, I was driving @ 65 MPH and the AC was on.

The "Toyota Engineer" said due to the air pressure, anything that touches the top of the car can cause this... I.E. meteors, bowling *****, small childeren, and especially the things you cant see, like the tips of fairy wands or unicorn horns...

I don't remember my ears poping from the increase in barometric pressure when I enable the fan in my car...

Hope this helps,

DFW

Quick Reply: Moon Roof Glass Exploding