Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

New iPod Classic, iPod Nano, and iTouch

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Default New iPod Classic, iPod Nano, and iTouch

Apple Introduces New iPods
New nano, classic, and touch models announced.
by Scott Lowe

September 9, 2008 - After weeks of anticipation, rumors, and general hype, Apple introduced their latest line of iPods for the upcoming holiday season and beyond earlier this afternoon at their exclusive "Let's Rock" event in San Francisco. As history will indicate, September is iPod time for Apple. Every year since 2005, Apple has introduced their latest and greatest iPod products in early September. Last year marked the introduction of the first iPod touch, the sixth generation of the iPod classic, and the third generation of the iPod nano. Not to break tradition, Apple has once again redefined their product lineup with two revised iPod models: the second generation iPod touch, a slimmed down 120GB classic, and the fourth generation iPod nano.

The new iPod nano features a drastic design size in terms of shape and size, while the new touch model features subtler alterations. The new iPod touch will have smaller physical dimensions than its predecessor with a reduced weight. The touch's new casing will feature a contoured metal enclosure with a series of integrated volume controls and an all-new built-in speaker. On the software side, the iPod touch will also include support for Apple's Nike + iPod feature. The new touch will serve as a workout companion with an attachable sensor that is placed within a user's shoe to track the total miles traveled during a period of exercise. The new iPod touch will also feature increased support for the newly announced iTunes 8's games offerings and intuitive "Genius" feature.

Apple will also be cutting down their classic line this fall. At the conference, Jobs announced that the classic line will be reduced to a single 120GB model that will retail for $249.99.

The new iPod nano returns to the vertical style of the first and second-generation nanos with an elongated vertical shape. Apple claims that the fourth nano will be the thinnest nano to-date with an all-new curved aluminum and glass enclosure--a first for the iPod series. But exterior changes aren't all Apple has altered with the new nanos, the user interface has been redesigned to better accentuate its high-resolution portrait display. The fourth generation nano will incorporate a built-in accelerometer, which automatically switches to Apple's Cover Flow album art display system when the player is held horizontally. The accelerometer will also engage the nano's shuffle mode when the player is lightly shaken. Additionally, the new nanos will boast a 24-hour battery life when used for audio playback exclusively, and four hours with video. The new nanos will come in a variety of colors including: silver, purple, blue, geen, orange, yellow, pink, (PRODUCT) RED, and black.

The 8GB nano models will fetch for $149, while the 16GB will cost around $199. The new touch models will cost $229 for the 8GB model, $299 for the 16GB model, and $399 for the 32GB model.

I knew it was a good idea to NOT but the iTouch, even though it has been killing me over the past few months. I'll be going to the Apple store today and picking up the new iTouch, assuming they have them already.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i think ill be doing the same. i want one of these for the soul reason of running Dynolicious lol
Old 09-10-2008, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Hahaha x2. There's so many other reasons, but the Dynolicious App will be the first thing I get for it. Gonna have to pick up a mount for the iTouch too .
Old 09-10-2008, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

im debating weather or not to get a 1G touch... since yesterday ive seen a few mint condition 8GB go for about $150 shipped
Old 09-10-2008, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I dunno, I think I'd rather spend the $70 to get it brand new. Plus it now has a built in speaker, side volume controls, and longer battery life.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
I dunno, I think I'd rather spend the $70 to get it brand new. Plus it now has a built in speaker, side volume controls, and longer battery life.

this is true... decisions decisions
Old 09-10-2008, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I'm expecting to spend about $300 today when I go. iTouch, screen protector, car mount and tax.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Got it =D

Updating my iTunes so I can use it. Apparently, the new iTouch comes with the App store built in, so it might not need the $10 iPhone update.

Size comparison to my 160GB iPod

Old 09-11-2008, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

well just got it and im pretty disapointed as it wont let me use any of my music

wtf is up with that
Old 09-11-2008, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by unxpectederror
well just got it and im pretty disapointed as it wont let me use any of my music

wtf is up with that
What is it doing or saying? will it not let u transfer or will it not play ur songs?
Old 09-11-2008, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

iPhone 3G still Pwns
XD
i kidd i kidd
i want a 16Gb Nano for teh car
since the iPhone doesnt "Fully Work" with it
Old 09-11-2008, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

eh i figured it out, i guess itunes was set to manually manage music .. i unclicked that box and it works now

i just bought Dynolicious .. i think i might go give it a try in a few mins
Old 09-11-2008, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

i want to get that app
but in trying to torrent it
and OpenSSH it to my iPhone
if that doent work
ill dish out teh cash to get it
Old 09-11-2008, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

wtf is up with that
Mine works fine, I'm able to use my downloaded and purchased music.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

eh i figured it out, i guess itunes was set to manually manage music .. i unclicked that box and it works now

i just bought Dynolicious .. i think i might go give it a try in a few mins
It needs a mount, lol. It's not as awesome as I thought it was going to be, but it's still cool as hell. I did a pull from 0-60 and it said I was making about 147whp, so it's pretty close.

And so far, I've only been able to hit .87 lateral g's.

I've had it sitting on my passenger seat for all the tests, and it sticks to my suede fairly well, didn't move at all when I hit .87g
Old 09-11-2008, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

just got back from testing myself.. it was pretty damp out

i have mixed feelings... i think my ipod cup holder isnt "holding" it enough lol
anyways ive got hp reading anywhere from 165hp-400hp lol
i wasn't able to find a road that was long enough to run the 1/4 so i was only able to do a 1/8 run. i ranged from 9.7-10.1 .. sorta close but i really gotta find a better way to mount it so i can get a more accurate readings. i was thinking of using some velcro tape and taping it temporarily to my dash some how

also was able to get .88G on the lateral skidpad which isnt bad

also how did you calculate weight for the car? i just added my weight to 2930lbs

EDIT: one more thing... are you able to use the ipod function in your car properly? mine is only able to use one album.. if that makes sense. like it wont let me search threw my mp3's, i have to just stay on what ever album was playing before i hooked it up to the car... its quite annoying. just wondering if anyone else has this issue
Old 09-11-2008, 11:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

If you use your headjnit and go to playlists then select the first option, you can play all the songs. Otherwise you'll have to make playlists.

^ From my iPod :D.

Managed to hit .87g on the way to work again, I need to find a big empty parking lot so I can really put it to the test, if this thing is fairly accurate, I've already beat the stock handling by .06g...I think I can get into the 90's with it. My friend 'might' get his Evo back from the shop today, so we're gonna have some fun testing that out all over the place. He dyno'd at 372whp, so we can see how accurate this thing really is.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so wil this new itouch work with that xb2 built in ipod dock connector thing? and whats dynoliscious