Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Politics

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Politics

This has gotten so out of hand it’s ridiculous. How many of you are honestly voting for the person you picked based on your own informed research of the candidate? Now tell the truth. Are you voting because of where that person stands on the issues that matter to you? Or did you pick him because of the party he belongs to? Or because of the “band-wagon” effect that occurs when celebrities and the media rally around one candidate? Be honest.

This country has become so incredibly partisan that it has virtually turned political elections into nothing more than sporting events. We aren’t even worried about the quality of “our guy” anymore. He’s on our team and by God that’s who we’re voting for! It doesn’t matter if his thinking is wrong or if he isn’t qualified. We will overlook tons of flaws in our guy but jump all over the smallest flaw in the other guy. It’s gotten to the point of being laughable. I have never seen such pathetic campaigns in my life. I have watched patiently for EITHER ONE to run a positive ad on TV. I haven’t seen one…from either side.

No matter who wins, I will do my best to support him. If I disagree with his policies I will voice my opinion in a responsible way. I will try hard to show respect for him even if it isn’t “my guy” because as the President of my country, he deserves it.

Please, think about the things that really matter to you personally. See where the candidates are on those issues, and vote accordingly.

My name is Matt, and I approve this message.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Default Re: Politics

Originally Posted by matt_a
I have watched patiently for EITHER ONE to run a positive ad on TV. I haven’t seen one…from either side.
Sadly, this is because negative campaigning is what sticks in the heads of people who DON'T look at the real issues.

You gotta remember that over half of this country votes because of soundbites.

TV ads aside, you gotta look at how the campaign is being run as a whole. I can only think of one campaign that has been on the brink of inciting riots and borderline, if not full-on racism.

"He's not one of us." is not a phrase that should be used by any campaign.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This has been a campaign of misinformation, both stemming from the parties themselves and from agenda-oriented regurgitation of talking points from the mainstream media.

I have always viewed politics as a choice of the lesser of two evils.... the simple fact is that our government is run by politicians, who generally NEVER have the people's interests in mind.

I'm voting one way because I think the other way is flat-out wrong on just about every issue. Plain and simple. I have serious concerns about the pre-ordained winner of this election is going to take us. But as I've stated before, I've got my guns and a bible, so I'll be just fine. Amazing how that derogatory remark has become a cornerstone of the opposition.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:09 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by senseiturtle
This has been a campaign of misinformation, both stemming from the parties themselves and from agenda-oriented regurgitation of talking points from the mainstream media.

I have always viewed politics as a choice of the lesser of two evils.... the simple fact is that our government is run by politicians, who generally NEVER have the people's interests in mind.
Amen, Brother Sensei!
The upcoming election has made this more painfully obvious than ever before.
I've often asked, "Why would anyone spend hundreds of millions of dollars campaigning for a position that pays $1.6 Million over a 4-year term?" Beyond that, what contributor would willingly donate that amount of money without expecting some sort of political "backscratching" in return?
These sorts of things are NEVER in the best interests of the American public.
Politicians are never in favor of personal accountability, which I believe is a major contributor to the downfall of America as a whole. Everyone, including our leaders, should be personally accountable for their decisions.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

I chuckle as I read most peoples views on here.....and I realize I can't fix stupid....what has happened to our country.......
Old 10-16-2008, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciond
I chuckle as I read a lot of peoples views on here.....and I realize I can't fix stupid....what has happened to our country.......
Old 10-16-2008, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

http://www.factcheck.org/
Old 10-16-2008, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
http://www.factcheck.org/
LOL I was just there..it mostly unkind to McCain...
Old 10-16-2008, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

^^ facts are facts. If its mostly unkind to McCain, then he might want to double check his facts more.