Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...
View Poll Results: Is Global Warming A Real Concern?
Yes
53.62%
No
46.38%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Be Worried. Be VERY Worried

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Default Be Worried. Be VERY Worried

Rhetorical Question: How important is the environment to you?

The Heat Is On: Global Warming Is Upon Us

From CNN/Time: No one can say exactly what it looks like when a planet takes ill, but it probably looks a lot like Earth. Never mind what you've heard about global warming as a slow-motion emergency that would take decades to play out. Suddenly and unexpectedly, the crisis is upon us. From heat waves to storms to floods to fires to massive glacial melts, the global climate seems to be crashing around us.

Click Here To Read The Story

(This the short version of the article but includes a link to the full story)
Old 03-27-2006, 11:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it's a major concern and I'm very worried about it. I think we've done way too much damage for far too long. It's kinda like if you drink too fast. You may already have more than enough alcohol in your system to make you drunk (or even sick) before you even start to feel the first buz. By the time you start to slow down or cut back, it's too late. I hope that's not where we are with our planet, but I'm afraid it might be.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

I was reading the story and saw the part where, if we got aggressive now, we might be able to cap CO2 in the atmosphere at 450PPM. 180 was the ice age, 280 is "comfortable" and we're currently at 380.

That picture of the polar bear says a lot.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I feel that only a fool would think Mans technology has not. in a negitive way, had an impact on Earth.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing
I feel that only a fool would think Mans technology has not. in a negitive way, had an impact on Earth.
Most people agree with you today. 10 years ago a lot of people were being called crackpots because they were trying to warning us.

The guy at NASA still has to get anything he says cleared by the Whitehouse because of their stance on global warming. Remember Bush withdrew the United States from participation in the Kyoto Protocol for reducing greenhouse gases world-wide.

Old 03-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

This concerns me because I'll be dealing with this all my life. The debate and effects of global warming. I think we need to just build a big sheet of aluminum foil and lay it over the ice caps and allow them to cool and make it ice again. Now, I know this sheet would be big, but they could focus these sheets in the quickly melting areas. With our technology today, we could probably do it. Rambling....

Steve
Old 03-27-2006, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

... and get the greenhouse gases down.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

the interesting thing about this topic is that everyone who posted has a concern about this, yet the poll reflects about as many votes for this not being a concern. I'm interested in knowing why this isn't a concern to some.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chillaxin206
the interesting thing about this topic is that everyone who posted has a concern about this, yet the poll reflects about as many votes for this not being a concern. I'm interested in knowing why this isn't a concern to some.

Because there is a far worse problem: overpopulation. It makes the earth heating up a teenci eency problem in comparison. You younger folks don't have enough perspective. This country was SO MUCH NICER when there were half as many people -- I remember how it was. When my dad was a boy, there were 1/4 as many people, and it was paradise in comparison to today, or even compared to when I was a boy.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by io333

Because there is a far worse problem: overpopulation. It makes the earth heating up a teenci eency problem in comparison. You younger folks don't have enough perspective. This country was SO MUCH NICER when there were half as many people -- I remember how it was. When my dad was a boy, there were 1/4 as many people, and it was paradise in comparison to today, or even compared to when I was a boy.
Hold on, before you go pointing your fingers at young people, which I am very much proud to be. I never said yay or nay as to if I thought this was a huge concern or not. I was simply making an observation and wanted to hear the other side of the argument. If that is lacking perspective then excuse me for my lack of perspective, but I have always been taught that there are two sides to a story. I was simply inquiring about the other side.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:53 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its bound to happen anyways i'm sure of that
Old 03-28-2006, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

I dunno. I think Mother Nature is reacting to us with the world-wide weirdness in the weather we've seen.

Something like the 20 hottest years recorded on Earth have happened since 1980?

Something's up.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold, so he turned the sun up.
Just kidding.
Yeah, it's warming up around here. And yes, due in part to us humans. But the Earth's climate will shift periodically hot and cold, no matter what we do. I'm not saying that we haven't helped to speed up the process, but it is natural. What concerns me more is the level of poisonous compounds found in the air and water.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by captainlaziness
There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold, so he turned the sun up.
Just kidding.
Yeah, it's warming up around here. And yes, due in part to us humans. But the Earth's climate will shift periodically hot and cold, no matter what we do. I'm not saying that we haven't helped to speed up the process, but it is natural. What concerns me more is the level of poisonous compounds found in the air and water.
I heard Bush say we might have made things worse by reducing acid rain.

No. Really, he said that.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The rapture will happen before global warming will become a problem. Only sinners and heathens will have to deal with the consequences.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by wibblywobbly
The rapture will happen before global warming will become a problem. Only sinners and heathens will have to deal with the consequences.
Cool. Glad that's settled. J/K

uh.... Global warming IS a problem today.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

ummm send more money and I'll pray for it to be solved.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you cannot dispute science........
Old 03-28-2006, 11:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Because there is a far worse problem: overpopulation.
The Earth is plenty big enough for everyone. We just need to spread out a little.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One big, bad volcano eruption will make us realize that our impact on this planet isn't as radical as we might currently believe. I do not yet believe that we are true the masters of our planet's destiny.

Quick Reply: Be Worried. Be VERY Worried