Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

xB caught fire this afternoon..

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 03:20 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would if they lay blame on something else.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well that will be the second brick for me...first was when i saw flames...
Old 10-26-2009, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Davestoaster
Car fires, especially electrical, have become so rare.

BUT, on last nights news I watched one burn on TV. Now this one.

So sorry to see this happen to such a nice xB.
That's crazy! I used to think the same way until...About two weeks ago my GF's parents garage burned down in fifteen minutes. Mind you this was a 56'x44' building. An electrical fired started in there 09 Silverado regular cab.
It was a complete lost, 05 Suburban, 09 Silverado, 05 GMC Sierra HD, 10 SS Camaro w/800 miles on it and last but not least they owned a 78 Z28 they've owned since new. I've got pictures if interested.
Sorry to hear about your lost Box, hope the insurance takes care of you well.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

WOW!!! that really sucks man, I have always liked the simplicity of your Box. I'm sorry about your loss and hope Scion and your insurance make it right for you.

Now that you were forced from the Box, what are you gonna do? Get another Box, some other Scion/Toyota or is there something else in your mind that you want?
Old 10-26-2009, 07:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now I'm worried that mine is going to burst into flames.

I'm sorry about the Z28.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Oh wow. That really sucks. I hate seeing things like that. Gabe's Box was the last one I saw go up like that.

Any thoughts on what you're replacing it with?
Old 10-26-2009, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like maybe we xB owners should carry a fire extinguisher in the front. Man I feel your loss.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

I would think that with the factory warranty still in effect plus the fact that your car wasn't modded, Scion would do something.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...................................torchedbox........................................
Old 10-26-2009, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

First off I'm real sorry for the loss. I can't imagine helplessly watching that burn to the ground. I do know of several VW owners who went through that, including my self and my Bride. We pack fire extinguishers in all of them so they were out and even back on the road in a day or two. With them its mostly fuel related fires, so there out fast with one.

Originally Posted by Jan06xB
Sounds like maybe we xB owners should carry a fire extinguisher in the front. Man I feel your loss.
The bad part is a fire extinguisher is about worthless on an electrical fire if the source of the fire (battery) isn't cut off. Sad video to watch but it shows how brutal a DC supplied fire can be. Fire extinguisher was worthless with a battery still pumping its energy out.

My torched is so crazy moded with stereo stuff, I can barley get in back in the hole. Everything is fused at the battery even with several at the source just to keep it safe and easy to maintain. They could easily blame a fire on me so I hope they are strait up about how this happened when and if they know.

I think we need to keep a 10mm wrench real handy to pull the ground off the battery, along with a fire extinguisher! I may be getting a battery switch now.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

-Update-

My insurance is taking the car to Columbia, Sc, which is about an hour from me, so they can do an "investigation" on what might have caused the fire.
State Farm Rep and a Scion Rep are meeting there to go over the car together to see who will cover the car for me. From what I can tell by talking to both sides it really seems like Scion is going to do their part and cover it under warranty.

All I can do right now is wait. Wish me luck everyone.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Driver_Lost
The bad part is a fire extinguisher is about worthless on an electrical fire if the source of the fire (battery) isn't cut off. Sad video to watch but it shows how brutal a DC supplied fire can be. Fire extinguisher was worthless with a battery still pumping its energy out.
True statement, but in most cases, all you have to do is turn the ignition switch off and it removes the battery from the circuit. That is why the only things basically on the hot battery buss, are very low powered items like memory for the radio stations and clock memory.

Cars are equipped with fusible links for the higher powered items that are supposed to open during an over current. Plus they have regular fuses for all other circuits. That's what makes electrical fires in cars rare, UNLESS the have been modded electrically in some way, and have some sort of non- fused circuit wired direct to the battery.

By the looks of the VW in the video, it had some electrical mods on it. Maybe the wire to one of the gauges, maybe a ammeter gauge, was to small, or it's wire chaffed the insulation and caused a short to ground which cause the fire ??? Who knows. Video is hard to make out.

This is what makes this xB fire so unique. A completely stock Toyota product that burns to the ground from an electrical problem is very rare these days.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by torchedbox
-Update-

My insurance is taking the car to Columbia, Sc, which is about an hour from me, so they can do an "investigation" on what might have caused the fire.
Statefarm rep and a Scion Rep are meeting there to go over the car together to see who will cover the car for me. From what I can tell by talking to both sides it really seems like Scion is going to do their part and cover it under warranty. All i can do right now is wait. Wish me luck everyone.

Good luck and PLEASE keep us posted !!
Old 10-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Banned
SL Member

There are some sharp edges on some of the brace metal behind the dash. Couple wires run until they chafe, then short out.

Sad to see the Box in that condition, but at least no one got hurt.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CBSIMONSEZ
There are some sharp edges on some of the brace metal behind the dash. Couple wires run until they chafe, then short out.
Do you know this from personal experience or is there some paperwork from Toyota about this?
Old 10-27-2009, 09:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

the fire in the GTI looks like its actually coming from the turbo, it looks like it started directly below the turbo.

i know from personal experience that some of the brace metal behind the dash is crude and pretty sharp in places (its never going to be seen so why make it pretty).
Old 10-30-2009, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TOTALLY SUCKSSS!!!!!
glad you are okay man ;)
Old 11-03-2009, 06:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Dude, I dunno what to say, Im sorry for what happened... But if State Farm is on the case... your forked bro... it took them the better part of 9 months to settle my claim

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
oh, and btw, that'll buff right out.
Ah, SL makes the world right again
Old 11-04-2009, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I havent had any trouble gettin them to work for me so far. Hopefully it gets taken care of soon
Old 11-04-2009, 01:02 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hate to see any Box hurt, but having one burn to the ground somehow seems even worse. (I guess it's the thought of standing there, watching it burn, and not being able to do anything to stop it.)

DEFINITELY get Scion Corporate involved with this immediately! (Since they are already involved in some way, stay in contact with them...)

TELEPHONE
Call the Scion Customer Experience at 1.866.70.SCION.

ADDRESS
19001 S. Western Ave
D102 PO BOX 2742
Torrance, CA 90509-2742

That new a car, unmodified (and an RS4 Limited Edition) needs to have Corporate in on it.

Please let us know how everything is going, and how things are working out.

Tom

Quick Reply: xB caught fire this afternoon..