Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Are you Tired Of Corprate Hip-Hop?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 07:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Are you Tired Of Corprate Hip-Hop?

Personally Iam, many hip-hop artists/ groups speak of the same thing constantly. It typifies what the young african american male should be,and how they should act. The message is that they should be uneducated and do anything that will benefit them regardless of who it affects.To me stuff like 50 cent or may other pop rappers do have a place, mainly in the club as dancing music (I cant lie and say that I havent enjoyed dancing with my girl too "just a lil bit haha"). So post up share some of your favorite critcally aclaimed hip-hop groups,if your a big fan of the mainstream stuff go ahead and post too just tell us why u like it.If u dont feel like sharing any groups just post an opinion.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:18 AM
Banned
SL Member

i mean mainstream stuff is def. fun to listen to.This is coming from some 1 who listens to alot of KRS-ONE, Aceyalone,Del The Funky Homosapien, and other underground hip-hop artists.

Ive noticed though tht alot of the mainstream **** lately is bout bonin _____3s,drinkin, and stuntin, which i agree is tiiite, but every song is about tht now. Mainstream now is more for clubbin or for bumpin on ur subs in ur car. Underground is for actually listening to and is a form of art. Jus what i think.

, I have tons of mainstream and tons of underground and listen to both so def. not bashing mainstream.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm really tired of the media and newscasters jackin hiphop terminology.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

See something that gets lost in the translation of these artists songs and their lyrics.. is that most of these artist are very intellegent business men.. now regardless of how they go about their business is up to them, the fact is.. they have accomplished their goal.. and that is to get your attention.. get you to play their music.. buy it, download it.. whatever.. Fact is.. its all about the $$$$.. its a major business that is only now beginning to really launch.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:15 PM
Banned
SL Member

^^ tru that, thas why the mainstream guys are rollin in $$ while underground guys aren't. mainstream brings in the $$$ while underground puts out quality music , both r great and i personally wuld go for the $$
Old 02-23-2006, 01:23 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

indie music is better
Old 02-23-2006, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by hornet_on_the_flower
indie music is better

Its a hustlaz ambition..
Old 02-23-2006, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

For most rap - I don't pay attention to the lyrics. Partially because I can't understand wtf they're saying, the other half because its just so god damn ridiculous it ____es me off.

But, I love the music, the beats, and the ability to make me wanna get out on the floor and bus' it up.

For instance, I like a lot of lil jon, etc for dancing... but I've always like old school snoop, dre, busta rhymes, crap like that
Old 02-23-2006, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'm all about some dirty south rappers! There is a difference in music.. Lil' John and groups like Three Six Mafia, P$C, T.I., they all get me ready to just jump out of my seat and do tha danm thang! LOL.. not to mention.. when you goto clubs in A-town.. thats all they play.. Atl artists! I love that!
Old 02-23-2006, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stu Gottii u make a good point a lot of these guys are inteligent buisness men I give props to 50 he sticks his fingers in many diffrent pots. But the one thing I don't agree with is that it is only now begining to get popular I'M actually curious to see how long hip-hop will last as the authority in pop culture. It truly started to get mainstream in the late 90's with the launch of eminems career he brought a
very large fan base in because of his color. I think everything will be o.k as long as their are guys that try to push the envolope musicallly speaking i.e Kanye,Outkast and possibly this merger of talent between J and Nas.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

www.chingobling.com -- he claims underground- i think he is getting up there.

i like his lyrics and style

plus we both like ostrish boots.. and bling bling..

i even named my dog chico bling
Old 02-23-2006, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

50 is a great example! I believe I read that he made a life size rendition of his "package" and will be selling it in various colors.. What a way to land the ladies hard earned dollar! Its all business. As long as you and I are buying his stuff or anyones for that matter.. it will remain around.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm more into the actual music than the lyrics and style. I don't really love any of the NAS/Jay-Z "battle" crap too much. the words may be there, but the music just blows.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It all depends on the angle you take when approaching a certain type of music. I myself tend to listen to the lyrics more than the beat. I actually listen to almost every single type of music.. I used to hate country with a passion.. but now that I listen to it, and can find a way to relate to it.. I appreciate it now.

That whole Nas and Jay Z thing is IMO nothing more than an elaborate business plan.. now they are concidering a duet or an album together.. They never were going to kill each other.. or do this or that.. its all about the money.. yeah.. there might have been a little bad blood.. but just like in that interview they had.. they both respect each other too much.. the whole bustin-a-cap and **** like that is for the young up and coming rappers and artists. Those two are like the God's of NYC..
Old 02-23-2006, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

True! I listen to every damn style of music. As a matter of fact, I have Sirius on "Shuffle", Channel 12 right now listening to Situation - Yaz. Ahh, good ol days.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah the j Nas thing was all bout killin each other lyrically the way it should be.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First off, I was never a fan of hip hop or rap. The following band probably wouldnt be considered "hip hop" because it is too musically talented.

Ojos de Brujo - Bari

A phenominal album that mixes traditional rumba, flamenco and spanish-style guitar, funk, rock and folk with samples, hip hop beats and a VERY strong vocalist that combines a punk rock attitude and hip hop one song, the next song shows a strong, soulful, sexy voice. From Barcelona, Spain.

I HIGHLY recommend checking them out. Puts all the hip hop I have heard to shame.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Hmmmm
Old 02-23-2006, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Are you Tired Of Corprate Hip-Hop?

Originally Posted by Tay831
Personally Iam, many hip-hop artists/ groups speak of the same thing constantly. It typifies what the young african american male should be,and how they should act. The message is that they should be uneducated and do anything that will benefit them regardless of who it affects.To me stuff like 50 cent or many other pop rappers do have a place, mainly in the club as dancing music (I cant lie and say that I havent enjoyed dancing with my girl too "just a lil bit haha"). So post up share some of your favorite critcally aclaimed hip-hop groups,if your a big fan of the mainstream stuff go ahead and post too just tell us why u like it.If u dont feel like sharing any groups just post an opinion.
^True - not just young african males, but it effects youth in general...
First of all - (pardon my "french") FU*K $0.50!!! & his whole G-Whack crew.
Their place belongs in the toilet - because without the "beats" (which they themselves don't even create) they'd be nothing. Claiming to be an "Artist" without any form of art to project is simply ridiculous. In no way, shape, or form do i even classify what they do meaningful, its more negative & degrading propoganda than anything else.
Ya, I admit it's attention grabbing... but so are silicon **** & a$$... which those "artists" also sellout as well...
I'm not trying to diss mainstream music, I'm simply stating how WHACK "Pop-rap/hiphop" truely has become. Almost everybody is trying to sell it out these days - I see a ton of car commercials these days "trying" to use the "hiphop culture" to sell their merchandise: Honda, Pontiac, Ford, VW, and the list goes on & on... For this reason I respect Scion for starting this movement @ the same time keeping it true to the culture instead of just selling out like their counterparts.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Interesting.. gotta let that one soak some.

Quick Reply: Are you Tired Of Corprate Hip-Hop?