Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Your Starbucks Barista Hates You!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 06:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Default Your Starbucks Barista Hates You!

Um, can I just get by with a warning... there is some mild language in this.

From Your Starbucks Barista
Reply to: pers-296401321@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-03-18, 11:08PM CDT

To all of you silly, sad caffeine addicts who line up like lemmings for your overpriced lattes every morning: there are some things you should know.

1. We are not your friends. We are usually not your neighbors. In most cases, we absolutely loathe you, but we are outwardly friendly -- because we are paid to do so. You are not getting special treatment, and we really don’t give a ____ about your last vacation or your new baby or your real estate problems. We ask how you’re doing because it’s a way of making conversation, and we are pressured to make conversation in this line of work. Now, there are some customers who are genuinely liked, but they’re few and far between. If you have to think about it, you’re probably not one of them.

2. Oh, you work from home? We are not your water-cooler break. We may be the only humans you have interacted with for days, but do not expect us to be interested in your stupid home business or your racist, sexist, totally unfunny commentary. Get your drink and get out.

3. Enough with repeating the George Carlin Starbucks order joke! It was funny the first time we heard it. Maybe. You are probably the four hundredth person to say it to me, expecting me to laugh, and I guarantee that you’re going to be disappointed.

4. Tipping is greatly appreciated. While Starbucks does provide great insurance and other benefits for its employees, and sometimes even a decent hourly wage, baristas are not guaranteed a certain amount of hours per week and NEVER get full-time hours. So: we have great health coverage but can barely buy groceries. Our tips help augment our meager paychecks. If you don’t want to tip, don’t - but quit _____ing about it. I’ve noticed that the complexity of your drink order is quite often inversely proportionate to the size of your tip. The rudest and most difficult customers NEVER tip - usually the stay-at-home-moms wearing fifty grand worth of diamonds, yammering into their trendy pink KRAZRs and paying absolutely no attention to their horrible offspring (who are wreaking havoc in every way possible.) _____es.

5. SKIM MILK is the same as NONFAT MILK. Do not order a “skim nonfat latte” – it’s redundant. Similarly, don’t say that you want a “grande skim latte” and then correct me when I call out “grande nonfat latte.” You _____. Which brings me to:

6. We are trained to call out drink orders in a particular way. This helps to ensure that we get all of your stupid, nitpicky details correct. DO NOT
• Correct me (see above)
• Tell me as snottily as possible that you “don’t speak Starbucks.” That is quite possibly one of the dumbest statements I’ve ever heard.
• Keep asking me, “Is it decaf? Did you get that? I ordered decaf. Are you sure it’s decaf?” F+CK YOU. Yes, I got it.
• Tell me how to make a drink. I know what goes into a mocha. You probably couldn’t make one if someone had a gun to your head.

I may as well continue! DON’T:
• Lean on the hand-off counter, effectively blocking any of the people who ordered BEFORE you from getting their coffee.
• Take your drink, rip the top off, gulp down one-third to one-half of it, and then ask me to “top it off.”
• ****** the first drink to come up, because of course it's yours! You’re the only f+cking customer in the place! You ordered a grande latte and this is a Frappuccino, what does it matter! You got there first!
• Scream at me because you don't want whipped cream, when you never specified that.
• Get all ____y when I ask if you want whipped cream on a nonfat mocha. Because some people do, the drink usually comes with it, and we are here to serve your demanding ___.
• Come in wearing a floor-length fur coat and, when asked if you need a bag for your purchase, say no because you want to “save some trees.” Please save me the forehead bruise.
• Hold your two-year-old up to the pastry case and ask him to choose something. Grown men (well, stupid grown men) are struck dumb by the variety at times; no toddler will be able to work out what he wants in under three days. Select something for him and move on.

7. If you are yapping away on your cell phone when you get up to the counter, TELL THE PERSON ON THE OTHER END TO HOLD ON. Do not try to communicate what you want by hand gestures. Do not stare at me blankly – YOU approached ME. Especially, do not roll your eyes at me and heave a sigh before _____ily telling me what you want while still babbling into the phone.

8. If we’re out of the sippy-cup lids and have to give you a regular old flat lid with a tear tab (this occasionally happens) – do not freak out and scream at the manager that it will spill and ruin your “very expensive car.” Buddy, I’ve seen that car (you double-park it outside the front door almost every f+cking day) and it’s not all that, so get off your f+cking high horse. And if you have enough money for that pricey auto, either buy a decent travel mug with a locking lid, or get the f+cking car detailed if something spills. And maybe lay off the caffeine. _______.

9. If you order a Frappuccino, I will hate you even more.

10. Quit _____ing about the names of everything. Yes, there is a “tall" size. No, it’s not the smallest size – that would be the “short.” Somewhere along the line, it got dropped from the menu, but can still be ordered. It doesn’t make much sense to me either, but I didn’t come up with the nomenclature for this ____. Order by the names on the menu, because I’ve had people ask for a "medium coffee" and get inexplicably ____ed off when I give them a grande. Which is a medium coffee. If you eat at McDonald’s, you put a “Mc” in front of just about everything – get the f+ck over yourself and get used to it.

11. Keep your f+cking $1200, four-foot-wide Bugaboo stroller out. Of. The. Store.

12. If you are one of the seriously annoying, mind-bogglingly stupid Change People, it's very likely that I'm restraining the urge to beat you senseless. Especially if you say something like, "I have twenty-four cents, if it helps…" – you are not helping anyone. F+ck you and your exact change. Don’t giggle and tell me how heavy it's making your bag and that you need to get rid of it. How about this: remove your spare change from your bag or pockets daily. Throw it in a change jar. When the jar fills up, cash it in. So simple, anyone can do it!

13. When you order "three shots of espresso, over ice, in a venti cup, extra ice" – WE KNOW WHAT YOU’RE DOING. You’re stealing, because you pay a lot less for that than you would for a latte, and then you fill it to the brim with milk from the condiment bar pitchers. You probably eat at buffets all the time and surreptitiously stuff your shoulder bag full of food, too. It’s a hard lesson to learn, but you really should learn it: if you can’t afford something, don’t f+cking buy it. _______.

14. Just because I work at Starbucks doesn’t mean I’m stupid. If I had a penny for everyone who treated me like a complete idiot because I work in the service industry, I’d be a retired billionaire by now. I probably scored higher than you did on standardized tests, am better-read, better-educated, a better writer, more articulate, more interesting, more observant, and better-traveled. However, because I am an artist (as are many of my co-workers) I don’t make the kind of money that the lawyers, doctors, and CEOs of the world do; this does not, however, make me a second-class citizen. So stop f+cking treating me (and everyone else who works at Starbucks) like one.

15. Have a nice f+cking day, you bastards!
Excellent rant!
Old 03-27-2007, 06:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm a Barista too, and all I have to say is "danmit right!" j/k. This person just might be a lil crazy though.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

i can relate, im a waiter
Old 03-27-2007, 07:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

i love it!
Old 03-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My very first serious job was busboy/dishwasher/cleanup person at a family restaurant - I didn't have to face the same idiots or as many of them, but I understand.

(I'm not a good 'service industries' type - I do not suffer idiots well or gladly.)

Tom
Old 03-27-2007, 07:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What's the joke for #3?
Old 03-27-2007, 07:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

gawd what i would do for a cup of REAL PERKED COFFEE. a cup that I can SEE the oil rising to the top ,, and the whole neighborhood could smell!
Old 03-27-2007, 07:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

at starbucks i order.. pay. get teh cofffee say thank you and im out... i seriously want to hit the people who order stuff that takes more than 3 sentences to order.... is it even english?.. i dont understand it.. lol.. im an easy customer
Old 03-27-2007, 07:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

My small rant as a former Pizza Hut manager and delivery driver...

1. It may be nice for you to let your child order the pizza on the phone but to me, it's pure hell.

ME: What is your phone number?
KID: Mom, what's our phone number?
*PAUSE*
ME: Do you still live on 123 Anystreet USA?
KID: Mom, do we still live at... uh, what address did you say again?
ME: Nevermind, what would you like?
KID: Mom, what do we want?
*LONG PAUSE*
So on and so forth. I just want to shoot myself.

2. Know what toppings you want BEFORE you order. OMG, you don't understand how much you're ____ing off your order taker when you ask them to hold on and then debate, with however many people, what you want. I hate inconsiderate SOBs like you.

3. When I deliver your pizza and your total is $14.98, don't tell me to keep the change. I have in the past and if I had this job again, will insist that you wait so I can get dig the $0.02 out for your cheap butt.

4. When I show up late at your door, don't ask me if I got lost. You know what? 98% of the time that your pizza is late, it's due to a lack of drivers and poor management or bad cooks. Sit and spin!

5. If you don't know your address, don't make one up or guess at it. If I had a quarter for each time someone guessed that their street was 80th AVE when indeed it was 80th PL, I'd be probably $100 richer.

6. If you open your door and billows smoke come out and your eyes are all blood shot, you best at least offer a hit off the bong. Even if your driver doesn't smoke, it's common courtesy. Oh, and it really should go without saying, tip your driver well. You don't need a ____ed off driver seeing a cop down the road and ratting your cheap butt off. Yes, we drivers really get ____y about tips.

I'm sure there is a lot more but it's been a good 4 years since I last was in the Pizza Biz.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:55 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chapman
What's the joke for #3?
See about half way down this list... http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/newrules.asp

Saddlesore, I'd settle for a mug of genuine MIL Spec coffee - that stuff could be used as rust remover in a pinch.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Saddlesore, I have 2 vintage Pyrex peculators that I use. Very good coffee!
Old 03-27-2007, 08:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can verify that employees are required to ask how someone's day is going and to make conversation. Actually, I can verify about 90% of that whole rant.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tomas,
years ago I bought a "short case" of mil-spec(navy) MJB packed in 1949 at a surplus auction.... now that was coffee!
I still use a perk coffee maker at home....
Old 03-27-2007, 08:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And while I'm at it.. I have a tiny customer rant myself.

Do not tell me how to do my job.

Unless, I ask you, do not tell me what something is.

If I'm organizing my debt/cred/check drawer or counting my till or whatever at night, do not come to my lane if there are 2-3 other lanes open.. thanks.

Do not bag your groceries from the customer side of the counter. We have people who do that for you.

If I ring up the wrong item, I will fix it for you at NO COST. There is no need to be an @$$ about it.

If you buy something and YOU LEAVE IT sitting on the counter.. don't get mad at US for your lack of attention when you have to come back TWO WHOLE MILES (small town) to pick up said bag or item. We had some guy come in the other night because he left an item on the counter.. he came in all ____ed off and was like, "I should get this at a discount now! And you should have to pay for $5 of gas that I had to use to come back! Or you can just tell the owner of the store I'm never coming back here again." He was there 5-10 minutes ago.. I know for a fact that 5-10 minutes isn't $5 of gas.. he could've walked his happy ___ there if it was that big of a deal.. and jesus.. have a cow!

Don't get ____y when I have to ask a cashier that is 21+ to approve your alcohol purchase. I didn't choose for the manager of the store to ask for me to do that. He wants to keep everybody safe. You can either have my judgement be off and have me, the store, some underage person, and your city population in trouble.. or be assured that everybody is safe from underage drinking or having already drunk people buying alcohol. Thanks. Don't be a dick about it.

And if you're a god damned high school or middle school kid in the store before, during or after school.. keep your bloody voices low and calm the hell down.

I probably missed something... but that's all my complaints at this time.

ADD:

We have this thing called TAX! Don't come in, see a price on a soda for $1.29 and expect to pay $1.29.. then act all shocked when the grand total is $1.40. I had a woman come in and when I said, "Okay, $1.40 is the total," she flipped out and was like, "Are you serious!? Forget it." And she slammed the drink on the counter. MEOW!

ADD:

If you ask for paper and I or the bagger forget to bag your items in paper, but put it in plastic instead.. get over it and take the damn plastic (especially when you have 5-7 items).. don't expect that we are going to remove it from said plastic and put it in paper. When we have all lanes open and full of people waiting in line, that's really inconsiderate. I'm sorry about the plastic, but you'll get over it before you get home.

I kinda like this thread. I mean, I'm all about making people happy, but some people just.. you know. Gr! :D Can we re-name it to Customer Service Employee Rants?
Old 03-27-2007, 08:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Okay, I got a few more for my list.

7. There is no such thing as "30 minutes or it's free". Listen, that was Dominos, and they stopped doing that decades ago.

8. Don't call and complain, saying your pizza is 5 minutes late. Give me a break. You're NOT getting a discount because you're impatient. For Christ sakes, regular sit down restaurants don't give you delivery times, do they? Chill the eff out.

9, Okay, so you got the wrong topping. Do NOT call me up, and threaten my life over it. Okay, so only one person actually threatened my life but seriously, why do you have to yell and give me attitude?

10. If you live in a gated community, why do you not give me the last name that is on the list at the gate so I may gain access to your community? Probably 1 out of 10 people in such a place give the right information.

11. As a rule, I am not allowed to tell you you're wrong. But I will, especially when I took your order over the phone, repeated your order to you, made your order, cut your order and delivered your order and you were the first order that day or the only order in the store at that moment AND YOU HAVE THE NERVE TO SCAM ME, TELLING ME THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH YOUR ORDER AND YOU WANT ANOTHER FREE OR A REFUND!
Old 03-27-2007, 08:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jenna
11. As a rule, I am not allowed to tell you you're wrong. But I will, especially when I took your order over the phone, repeated your order to you, made your order, cut your order and delivered your order and you were the first order that day or the only order in the store at that moment AND YOU HAVE THE NERVE TO SCAM ME, TELLING ME THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH YOUR ORDER AND YOU WANT ANOTHER FREE OR A REFUND!

The customer is not always right! I don't care if that's customer service policy.. 99.9% of the time, they are WRONG!!! YAAAYUHHHH.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I am assuming this whole rant came up because of what Starbucks did... but I could be wrong, so I will ask if you heard about this:

(I have to find the actual post) - but Starbucks had some loyal customers over in Iraq. Some of the troops wrote to them and asked if they could send some coffee out to them because they loved the coffee so much and hate the coffee (that nasty hotel stuff) that they get served.

Startbucks said, "Thanks for the support.... but we don't support the war. So no".

So you don't support the war? How about your freedom?
Old 03-27-2007, 12:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

I have worked in a grocery store since I was 15, and there is no way I could check people out. It would drive me crazy.

On the other hand.....

1) don't chat with other checkers while you are ringing up my order, I don't want to know what you did last night.

2) Please don't snack while you are with a customer, you have a breakroom and I don't want to see you munching on a candy bar or chips while you touch my groceries.

3) when you drop a roll of foil and it breaks open and falls on the floor, don't roll it back up put it in the box tape it up and put it back on the shelf.

4) Please make sure your pricing is correct and the products are in front of the right tag, I don't want to have to waste your time and mine when it doesn't ring up at the price on the shelf.

5) if you are going to sell cold medicine that is locked up have someone that can get to the product.

I guess that's about it. Jenna I hear you with the pizza, having been there and done that.

Ariane, I hear you too after working in a grocery store for so long I guess I am glad that a lot of stores have put in the self check lines. I know that they are not popular with the employees, but I can get through that faster and easier than a regular checkout.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jenna
Saddlesore, I have 2 vintage Pyrex peculators that I use. Very good coffee!
mmm...coffee We have a nice Cuisinart coffee maker for the Monday-Friday routine, but nothing makes a good cup of coffee like my trusty old french press. That's usually a weekend thing. I just have to remember to readjust the setting on my burr grinder!

Quick Reply: Your Starbucks Barista Hates You!