Notices
Regional - Canada AB, BC, MB, NB, NL, NT, NS, NU, ON, PE, QC, SK, YT

Importing my 08 XB Release series 5.0 to Victoria

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member

Default Importing my 08 XB Release series 5.0 to Victoria

Hey all, 1st time poster here. I have been lurking on the forum here for a couple of months now and have been diligently watching the threads on importing up to Canada.

I have just found the 08 xb Release series that I am looking for. It was found thru a broker here in Victoria. I am a little surprised at the total costs but I see that there is no movement on the prices on new 08's. Here is the list of costs that are associated with getting this from Medford Oregon. This quote was from the broker that I am dealing with.

19700 (estimated cost of vehicle)
$395 documentation fee (US dealer charges this)
$1200 duties (6.1% - vehicle is manufactured in Japan)
$100 excise tax (for air conditioning)
$209 RIV fee (Registrar of Imported Vehicles)
$600 transportation to border (you can fly down and pick up which could save some)
$350 daytime running lights (if it doesn’t come with them already)
$100 Provincial Inspection
$150 in transportation costs to pick up vehicle from border and transport to Victoria
$1500 brokering/purchase/importation fee (Clear Choice Motors)

$24304 landed in Victoria plus GST/PST

This is an estimate for what I think it would cost and all of the expenses that would go into getting one of these up here. Like I said before Rob, you would pay the actual fees on what things cost. If we can save a few bucks then we will! Where I see possible savings is the transportation and the driving lights… Also, we might be able to negotiate with the dealer on the documentation fee (I hate those!). I just wanted to put down everything so you could see a worse case scenario on price."

I know that if I did all the gruntwork myself I could save the $1500, but he able to get this for me thru his contacts, pay for the vehicle and I dont pay anything till it arrives. I like that....

Please let me know if there is anything that he is missing or if you all have any ideas on this....

Thanks and wow, I cant wait to be one of the very few if not only 08 release series owners in Canada...
Old 04-17-2008, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check the posting from Toast4us, he imported an RS4 himself thur a purchase at a US dealer. I was looking into bring mine up from the US but the dollar was not very good when I was looking, I had a dealer complete the import for me and I fiquired that cost me about $1500.00 over doing it myself. The main difference was the timeline to purchase , complete the paer woork and wait for clearence, I fiqured that it would have taken me almost three weeks to complete and the dealer had the car for me in three days. I was tired of wai9ting and completed the sale thur the dealer and I was on the road, looking at mods to do
Old 04-17-2008, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn man hearing all the trouble you guys are and went thur i am happy as hell i just bought mine that was already here!!
Old 04-17-2008, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member

So I guess the speed of the deal and the ease of it is what makes the cost to the broker worth the extra dough.

He has found thru his contacts one of the RS's in Washington and has a way of getting around the no sell to us here. Not sure how, but who cares...lol
Old 04-17-2008, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Exokutioner
damn man hearing all the trouble you guys are and went thur i am happy as hell i just bought mine that was already here!!
no hassle at all. That is why we are paying the extra dough to the guy doing the work...seems worth it to get something that is not on every corner like some of the other cars out there...XB's are not seen all that much and I know that to see an XB rs would be a treat.

I do have some questions about the new 08 tho. I have only sat in an 06 so I am very curious as to the room and configuration of the new 08. I am a big guy and I presently drive a Honda Element so I am spoiled with room. I hope the 08 has enough room as well.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I paid 21300 for mine. could have been at least 23000 but the lot boy brought the wrong one from the off site, was looking to get one like CanXB. Great thing is a got the quote before i even saw the car. sales guy even tried to renog. the price but i wasnt having it. Price has come way down since even my pruchase back alomost a year ago.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Exokutioner
I paid 21300 for mine. could have been at least 23000 but the lot boy brought the wrong one from the off site, was looking to get one like CanXB. Great thing is a got the quote before i even saw the car. sales guy even tried to renog. the price but i wasnt having it. Price has come way down since even my pruchase back alomost a year ago.
Kinda like fate that you got the one you did. I guess it was meant to be...lol

Have you seen any 08 RS's in Van?
Old 04-17-2008, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know some of the other 604 group have. i have only seem them in Seattle.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:59 PM
Balliztik
SL Member

To Start with its all about the experience!

I have had the privelage of importing a xB RS 4 ( from Burlington,Wa.) and a 07 Sienna limited (from Chicago,Il.)into Canada

some of which you probably already realize, but look at the following:

How to Import At:

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

Which vehicle is allowed, the 08 xb is classified a MPV so Section 5 at:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/VAFUS/list/VAFUS.pdf

Which Manufactures honor US warranties in Canada at:

http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=253#TOYOTA

What I was told when I bought my xB RS4 from the US dealer is that every Dealer is allocated a xB RS4 and when they sell that one then they are allowed to request another one to sell. the same would apply to the RS 5. So you can pick a closer dealer, its just easier to get it further away from the border.

You can go to: Scion.com
and build your own RS5 and then you will know exactly the cost of it. You can see what every option is worth and see if there is an unseen markup!
The MRSP for a plain RS5 is $18,740 in Washington State.

Since I bought the Toyota Sienna long distance all dealings were over the phone on their 1-800 #. an they were the most helpful Dealer I have dealt with of all! Toyota of Naperville, Il. they sent all paper work to the port of entry. I flew in they picked me up from O'Hara airport registered me into Hotel, picked the vehicle up and enjoyed it all the way home awesome drive and saved +$15,000.00 when the dust settled.

Doing it yourself is not a big deal at All just time consuming 2 weeks in total, if in a hurry this could be a problem. otherwise its part of the deal.

Remember it does no matter which state you buy the vehicle in, you will not pay the taxes in that state because you're Exporting the vehicle.

Another note, you can get a Extended Warranty in Washington State on your Scion and if it is not used in the extended warranty period then you can get a full refund of the value you payed back at the dealer you purchased the warranty at, it is also valid in Canada for service.

I know that the Sienna 07 came with DRL so there was no charge for that the 2008 xB might also, Canadian tire will install them also. for $200.00 or less.

Not only could you save yourself the $1500.00, but it would not cost you $600.00 to fly down nor rent 1 way, nor $150.00 to bring it to Victoria. Medford,Or. is only 10hrs away so realistically 1 night hotel plus gas and food

Hope this long winded Post helped you out .

Good Luck in what ever you decide and Enjoy your new purchase!

DO keep us informed on what you decide and when you get it!

If ever in Vancouver with it We need to see the Gold Rush!

Cheers.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have seen one white one on the road and a teal blue at the brown brothers ford lot. I have not seen an RS5 in the lower mainland yet.

I have heard of an RS1 that runs around Lander. Seen one RS2 in Coquitlam, I have not seen a RS3's. and Toast4us has an RS4. so if you get one you might be the first!!

You should try to see if you get inside of one before you buy, they are still quite spacey but a the different lay out may feel different. If you could make it over to Vancouver, they have an 08 at the Brown Brothers Ford lot on Marine Drive, you would be able to see if you fit and feel right. They have it priced at $20499 so the price you have laid out above looks pretty good for an RS5

Good Luck with your purchase and if you pick one up you should come out to one of the meet and greets we are running on the second Sunday of each month, check the postings for updates like this month Sunday falls on Mother days so it will get moved for the Mom's. We would love to get an RS5 in the mix if we could!

CanxB
Old 04-18-2008, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toast4us, you are a bevy of information, always one step ahead of me

First it was Joker saying about Batman...Where does he get all those cool toys?

and now it is me saying, where does he get all this cool info?

Cheers, CanxB
Old 04-18-2008, 02:24 AM
Balliztik
SL Member

Just a heads up but
Chapelle has an RS3 in Maple Ridge
he just has not been able to make it out to a M&G

I sure would like to see that RS1 some time soon!!

other than that I have not seen a RS5 yet either.

cheers
Old 04-18-2008, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks for all the awesome replies. I do understand the value of researching, finding, haggling, etc. and especially the feeling you get when you can pick it up and bring it home. I was willing to do that, but unfortunately I am in the middle of selling my house, a marriage seperation, a very busy home business and a full time day time government job. Time is more valuable to me right now. Normally I would do this kind of thing myself but the few dollars spent in saving the time is worth it. Just a personal timing thing....

I thank you for the invite and I will definitley be coming to some of the meets...
Old 05-11-2008, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any luck on getting your new xB? Have you had the chance to get inside one yet?
Good luck if you are going to complete the sale and look forward to get you out for a meet and greet.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Brown bros ford had an 08 xb blue auto $ 24950 + tax etc
http://www.brownbrosford.com/used_vehicles.html
they only have an 04 17900
an 08 in mission burgundy auto 23900
http://www.buysell.com/root/detail/B...AUTOMATIC.aspx
Old 05-17-2008, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Btw i wanted to add that
i asked around toyota dealers in seattle... they dont sell to canadian... so i had to get a US friend and pay US tax first...
but not sure if that still apply
Old 08-21-2008, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member

So I phoned my Autobroker that was setting me up with a 2008 xb RS and had it put on hold till now. I originally was looking for one back in April. So now I am ready to buy one, so I give him a call yesterday. He says to me "thanks for the referral". Now I have no idea what he is talking about, and he says that so and so are coming on Saturday, flying in from Ontario to pick up the exact model that I had been looking for. Now this tweaks my memory and I guess back in April a guy off the forum here emailed me and asked how and who I was dealing with to get the new XB up here.

So apparently the XB had just been delivered to the broker about 2 hours before I phoned. How crazy is that. I immediatley went down there and had a look. What a sweet looking ride. Plenty of room for my big ___....lol

Anyway, he is now going to get me one.

Price is as follows.
2008 XB RS base with the spoiler added
19,500 USD on the lot
duty, taxes, exchange, broker fee
26,000 OTD.

I am pretty happy with that.

So we shall see how this pans out. Will keep you all informed.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool, that the time has arrived, I know I had to wait to get mine and it almost killed me. Good luck with your purchase and you will have to make it out to one of the meets when you get it. Second Sunday of each month, check 604 scion threads for updates.

Take care, Canxb
Old 09-02-2008, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member

absolutely. The release series is getting scarce for new ones. that is good news and gives me a good feeling that these are vehicles that are wanted and will have a decent resale. I need to know that so when they come out finally with the Mako concept production, that I will be able to afford one...lol

I will come over for sure. Right now I am probably going to be flying to either Dallas or Wellesley Maine to get a new Release model so I can drive it home. Woohoo, can you say roadtrip. NFL football cities and baseball all the way home....hehehe. maybe I should pick up some performance parts while I am down there. Maybe a turbocharger, some headers, spoiler, new wheels and tires....Yikes...there goes the Visa...lol

Wonder if I would save money that way.

Any thoughts on that?
Old 09-28-2008, 10:31 PM
SL Member

A little birdy told me that the scion dealership in Bellingham will sell to canadians, and will help with the paperwork to import

i talked to a salesman there when I was picking up parts for my rs1. The new xb's were around 17000 to 18000.

A lot better than driving to Oregon

Quick Reply: Importing my 08 XB Release series 5.0 to Victoria