Notices
Regional - Desert & Salt AZ, NM, UT

Interesting Facts on your car

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Interesting Facts on your car

I ran across some interesting info and thought I would sahre with all of you since it does pertain to all of us and might be helpful in knowing what goes into making your car just a little bit

Scion pistons are X-rayed for accuracy

The pistons in a Scion engine are covered with an anti-friction coating that helps them glide up and down smoothly inside the cylinder. However, this coating must be evenly applied to help ensure longer engine life and smoother performance. That’s why Toyota randomly checks pistons to make sure they have a precise layer of the protective covering. And the method for checking the uniform thickness of the anti-friction coating? A close inspection with an X-ray machine.

A Scion engine has to prove itself before it’s approved for a customer

Toyota tests every engine it makes, checking performance, ignition timing, exhaust emissions, and oil and water seals. And that's before it's even installed in the vehicle. This way, a problem with a new engine can be corrected and is much less likely to become a problem for a new owner.

Scion shock absorbers hit millions of potholes

The shock absorbers and struts used in Scion vehicles are put through a shocking test that includes up to 10 million virtual potholes. To make the test even tougher, the load on the shocks is increased and decreased and the temperature in the test facility is raised and lowered to copy extreme weather conditions. After the test, the shocks and struts are cut apart and evaluated to make sure they can handle the ups and downs of daily driving.

A new Scion has to track straight and true

Every new Scion is put through a rolling test that checks the vehicle's front-end alignment. If the vehicle doesn't stay on the straight and narrow for one-third of a mile, the vehicle is realigned until it is capable of driving right down the center of the road. With a new Scion, drivers don't have to worry about staying in their own lane.

Scion dashboards can take the heat

Scion dashboards are put through a 230-degree F durability test to make sure they can handle the blazing summer sun. Prototype dashboards are precisely measured and then placed in a heat chamber that simulates extended direct summer sun exposure. The dashboards are then carefully monitored for distortion, cracks and shrinkage. If the dashboard coordinates change due to the heat, the dashboard is modified for better heat resistance.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz

Scionetics
SL Member

nice work b!
Old 04-15-2007, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is pretty nifty
Old 04-15-2007, 10:40 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yeah, i remember all that stuff from the e-learning mods when i used to sell scion. its pretty cool stuff. the only thing is that my cars front alignment has been off since i drove it off the lot. wierd.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

Pretty cool.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Very interesting. It would seem that you have a lot of free time on your hands.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Interesting Facts on your car

Originally Posted by bryoninscion

Scion dashboards can take the heat

Scion dashboards are put through a 230-degree F durability test to make sure they can handle the blazing summer sun. Prototype dashboards are precisely measured and then placed in a heat chamber that simulates extended direct summer sun exposure. The dashboards are then carefully monitored for distortion, cracks and shrinkage. If the dashboard coordinates change due to the heat, the dashboard is modified for better heat resistance.
This one I know....Ford / Volvo / Jaguar and Daimler / Chrysler / Dodge and also Toyota, has a place out in middle of no-where in Wittman that does the heat test for the interior peices. And, Being a courier.... I just happen to know where it's.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:14 AM
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by PHXLOCO
nice work b!
Your Dashboard Will never See 23O Degrees. I Don't think Scion ever imagined anyone getting 5% on ALL their Windows!
Old 04-16-2007, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Scisko
Originally Posted by PHXLOCO
nice work b!
Your Dashboard Will never See 23O Degrees. I Don't think Scion ever imagined anyone getting 5% on ALL their Windows!
Are you sure about that. Big J's tail light got to 180+ last summer. So hot it melted