TC Spring Install...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Default TC Spring Install...

I am looking for someone in the Austin area who can change the springs on my tC. I would do this work, but I have never done it before and I don't really want to mess it up.

If you can do the job, or if you know of someone or a shop that does quality work, please let me know. I would like to know how much it's going to hurt my wallet and when the work can be done. So far, from the shops that I have called, they say that it's going to cost me like $450... that is WAY too steep for this.

Or, if someone can just help me do it... I would appreciate it, and still be willing to pay if the price is reasonable.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did this a couple weekends ago. Took 2.5 hours for the front and 3.5 for the back (had to make a quick trip to the store in this time when I busted a bolt).

I used these guides:
http://www.club-tc.com/forums/suspen...tallation.html

http://www.club-tc.com/forums/suspen...k-install.html

If you're not using TRD springs, then the rear will be different since the spring compressor probably won't fit on the new spring. I used TRD's so I was able to use the compressor.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I don't have a spring compressor, a torque wrench breaker bar or jack stands. I guess I could go buy or rent these things, but that's one of the reasons I was going to pay someone else to do it.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

well if you dont know anyone near you with the tools that can help and/or know what they are doing then i would just pay a shop or the dealer to put them on.
if you dont have help and the right tools it will take you maybe a day or 3. the tC isnt an easy drop.
and the kind of spring you get shouldn't make you not be able to use a spring compessor.
the fronts are okay its just that to do the back you have to gut-out the trunk.

i was lucky and am friends with a few toyota techs and we just went over to the dealer garage on a sunday and used their lifts/air tools/alignment "spaceship" machine, took maybe an hour and a half.

and another tC that my friends lowered at someones house took over 12 hours and they were not 100% on what they were doing.

so the BEST thing for you to do would be to have people who know what they are doing do it wether they are proffesional or buddies.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Thanks for all the info - I found a guy local that I will take the car to his house and he will do the work for pretty cheap. I will also be able to work on the car with him so I can get some experience with this type of thing.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i installed mine today... and it wasnt bad. took me 4 hrs but i did it alone with no help. followed instructions from hotchkis's website but made a few tweeks to it as well. didnt even need spring compressors
Old 03-01-2007, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

careful with the not needing spring compressors comment. not having them hasn't hurt any of the scions we've dropped but some will raise hell about not using them.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i rented them but i didnt use them i did it the other way cause the first time we installed on my friends tc we used them and it took forever and we didnt even finish and there were 3 of us that time
Old 03-02-2007, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

yea when we do xBs the springs dont go anywhere.

we actually had it one time to see how far it would go and it just popped off and landed gently 2ft away. they were all dissapointed cause they wanted to see it attack the fence