Notices
Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Lowering questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Lowering questions

Whats going on guys? I am getting ready to buy some TRD springs for my 2015 tc , after reading many threads on them I have a few things on my mind.
1. I read a lot about them clunking due to to springs sitting ontop of each other. I assume lining the springs with rubber hose will get rid of it? Am I correct on this?
2. Is it common for the strut mounts to go bad once the car is lowered, causing more clunks?
The car is a lease so I'm not trying to draw too much attention from the dealership, hence choosing trd for my spring choice. My rear swaybar is on the way too! All
Old 08-13-2015, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AMS13
1. I read a lot about them clunking due to to springs sitting ontop of each other. I assume lining the springs with rubber hose will get rid of it? Am I correct on this?
You mean the coils sit on top of each other?

Yes. They are coil springs, like on just about every other modern automobile.

I believe there is a silicone silencer on a coil or two, and a rubber spring seat at the bottom. I wouldn't go wrapping hose over the spring.

Originally Posted by AMS13
2. Is it common for the strut mounts to go bad once the car is lowered, causing more clunks?
Not any more than usual.

I think you worry too much.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your 100% right, I do tend to worry a bit. I just don't get it, 90% of the treads I have read about lowered 2nd Gen tc's usually involve clunking or some other prematurely worn out part. Ill just do it and see what happens
Old 08-17-2015, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The clunking only comes with the Eibach springs. I had the clunking on my Eibach Sportlines. I installed rubber isolators on the affected coils to soften the clunking, but it never worked 100%. I now have Tein S-Techs, and they are completely silent. They come with isolators preinstalled, unlike the Sportlines.

The only thing that might wear prematurely will be your shocks/struts. Mine were in very poor condition and one was completely and utterly blown when I replaced them a couple months ago. This was after having the Sportlines on for about 50k miles and about 76k miles on the car total. But I guess at that point they probably would have needed to be replaced anyway. I replaced the Eibachs with Teins at the same time and now I have a completely silent suspension.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have read a lot of good things about the Teins, if the car was mine, I would be jumping on those in a heartbeat, but since it is leased toyota would have less of a issue with the trd's.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Even if you install TRDs, aren't you required to remove them before returning the car?
Old 08-20-2015, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have trd springs on my 2014 slight drop, no noise, had them installed at the dealer. Are you going to end up buying the car? or just gonna return with the springs?
Old 08-20-2015, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry guys thought i responded to this. The reason behind me wanting the trd springs is in the event of me having to bring the car back in for service. I would atleast have a leg to stand on if the car developed some type of suspension issue. The car will have to be returned to stock before I return it , but thats not too much of a big deal, will take me 3 hours to put it back to stock. They would crush me if i tried returning the car modded. plus I want the parts so i can sell them on the forum!