Notices
Regional - Mid Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA, WV

resolving mechanical problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 01:33 PM

Default resolving mechanical problems

My Scion xb (2006 model) is in the shop, it has a problem with idling and missing. The first dealer that I took it to told me it was bad gas and just drive it out and put more fresh gas in it . This diagnostic cost $60.00. The problem didn't go away so I took it to a local scion dealer, (the first scion dealer I was out of town when the problem started). I have already built up a bill of about $300.00 in diagnostic services so far, and they still don't know whats going on. I called scion and they told me that they would check on the situation and get back with me. Has anyone else ran into this situation and if you have can you give me any advice. And of course I didn't take out the extended warrenty because Scion like toyota's don't break down (that was one of the selling points) Also this has been going on for 3 weeks. Thanks
Old 07-09-2008, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Couple of questions, I'm not sure I can help but more information would be great.

1. is there a check engine light on?
2. When you say the car misses, does it hesitate when you accelerate from a stop or does it happen all the time? Does it only happen going up a hill?
3. When you say it has a problem idling what do you mean? Does it sputter and cough? Or is it a abnormally rough idle?
4. How many miles do you have on the car? I believe the tune up according to the owners manual says 30K.
5. Have you put any none brand name gas in your car? Or did you fill up while the gas trunk was filling the station? Or have you added any additives to the gas?
6. What is the second Scion dealer saying?

I know these are some really stupid questions but to figure this out information is a big thing. I would say get a tune up which for our cars isn't expensive but usually the check engine light is supposed to come on when the computer detect a number of misfires during a cycle. The issue can be caused by bad gas as well. I know for a fact that many gas stations try to find the "cheapest" price gasoline, which in turn causes them to get bottom barrel gasoline. Which in many cases have more sediment and water in it. Both of which can cause similar issues to what you are having.

If you know you got poop gas the first thing I'd try would be to go to the nearest parts store and get gas line antifreeze. I had a customer who experienced the same problems as you but only on inclines. No check engine light, but bad hesitation and decreased performance. We tried a $4 bottle of gas line antifreeze and his problems went away. Mind you he also had close to 250K miles on his truck and he knew he was buying poop gas.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:05 PM

Ok everyone I just got in from the dealer and they told me that they will put in new fuel injectors tommorrow and see if that will fix the promblem. Ok here we go first dealer said bad gas but cleaned the throttle body or something. Next dealer recleaned throtle body, cleaned gas tank,put in new ecu, even brought in a used xb and changed parts around. Frustration level is going up. Everyone I talk to tell me they are surprised that the problem could not be fixed right off. The computer is showing no codes for any promblem except a bad miss. but not what is causing the miss. I was just wondering I thought the computer showed what caused the issue. Thanks for any one thats listens and thanks to the site to give me a place to vent. The ford focus is starting to look good to me now.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:06 PM

All yea I am starting to get scared about the cost now too.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Usually with those things it's a bad fuel injector. But we will see. maybe a bad gasket.