Notices
Regional - North MN, ND, SD

07 tC HVAC board - possible free led swap!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default 07 tC HVAC board - possible free led swap!

Hey everyone. Some of you may know of me already. I am the one that created the circuit mod for the HVAC module to make using blue, white or green leds possible. Another guy I talk with alot on the forums that uses the mod and does the swaps just recieved an 07 board. The board has completely been changed, and whats worse, will not work in an 05 or 06 tC. So, since I am still doing these swaps, I would really like to get my hands on an 07 tC so I can do some testing and take some measurements. I realize this is a leap of faith for someone, but I do have my masters in electronics and would be very willing to pay for anything if something were to go wrong, which is highly un-probable. What I would want to do is spend a little time with the board plugged into the car to take a few readings and map out everything. Once I figured it out the person would get a free LED color swap out of the deal.

I may be able to figure it out by using the pictures and part descriptions he sends, but wanted to get this out there just in case. I could do all of the work with the owner here, so I am not asking for someone to leave me thier car.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:34 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

uh oh....

i may have access to an '07 myself... i think i might need to open it up and take a look myself. that is if you don't beat it to me first dave.

if it is indeed that much different.... yeah.. all of us led swap guys will need to find out

we'll keep in touch and i'll keep you updated if i find out anything myself.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I am working online with desert right now, he sent me some pics and some descriptions. I think the circuit is the same, just with a few things in different places. Not as different as we thought. Just by looking I am pretty sure the same mod will work. He is looking over the schematic I made of the old setup and comparing to the new one. The strange thing is that he said the board does not light up when plugged into the 06, which kind of sucks for when people send me boards that already have issues. Up until now I was able to fix these for people, but not if I cant plug into them.

Hopefully he can try the old mod and then find an 07 to try it in before he has to send it back. But I dont think it is really that much different other than the placement of a few parts. I will keep you posted.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I think I have one coming to me in the mail this week. Just to trace out and compare to my schematic of the old board. If so, I will post and verify if they match up.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

should have it in a couple of days.. just heard from them. If someone has an 07 just to plug it into and see if it is the same, I would still offer some type of deal on some work.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:24 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

first thing i noticed when entering an '07.. the clock actually turns off when the car is off now....

opening up the hvac... oh snap..

it's uhh.. yeah... they changed a few things around quite a bit... (but changes don't look too major..) it's mostly the circuit traces have been changed to different places, parts renumbered and locations of parts

(and obviously the 3 more leds for the airbag stuff)

sorry dave, but i don't have a camera on me at the moment.. but hopefully you'll get your '07 board soon and we can figure all this stuff out.

i'm gonna do what i can to trace it out.. it looks like it might match still for the most part.

to tell you the truth.. it looks like once we verify everything... the swap itself should be cleaner/easier to do with the relocation of the parts.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Re: 07 tC HVAC board - possible free led swap!

Originally Posted by engifineer
Hey everyone. Some of you may know of me already. I am the one that created the circuit mod for the HVAC module to make using blue, white or green leds possible. Another guy I talk with alot on the forums that uses the mod and does the swaps just recieved an 07 board. The board has completely been changed, and whats worse, will not work in an 05 or 06 tC. So, since I am still doing these swaps, I would really like to get my hands on an 07 tC so I can do some testing and take some measurements. I realize this is a leap of faith for someone, but I do have my masters in electronics and would be very willing to pay for anything if something were to go wrong, which is highly un-probable. What I would want to do is spend a little time with the board plugged into the car to take a few readings and map out everything. Once I figured it out the person would get a free LED color swap out of the deal.

I may be able to figure it out by using the pictures and part descriptions he sends, but wanted to get this out there just in case. I could do all of the work with the owner here, so I am not asking for someone to leave me thier car.
I live in Fargo, ND and i just purchased a NB 2007 Scion tC and I would be willing to make the trip to Minneapolis for a free LED Swap, but I am also interested in getting the rest of the LEDs done while i was there. I could make it a weekend trip. Let me know what you think and PM me with some info.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ I already have one coming to look at. But once I am done I may still work a deal on a swap since I started this thread Let me know when you are in the area and maybe we can work something out. Something happened with the shipping for the one I am getting, but they reshipped and it should be here any day now. I will keep everyone posted.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have the board in hand now. From what I have looked at, I think the mod will still work, but still need to try it. I am still verifying parts of the circuit. The new board is definitely different in some ways, it has separate seat belt, passenger airbag and pass airbag on/off lights. Also the logic is different, which keeps it from working in an 06. But, I have isolated the lighting portion and think it will be mostly the same. They used smaller surface mount resistors for two of the ones that have to be changed out, and a larger one for another. So I am going to use smaller ones as well, they should be here in a day. I will let everyone know how it comes out soon.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:19 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

wee.. thanks!
Old 08-15-2006, 07:13 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

bump?
Old 08-15-2006, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The same mod works, but parts placement is different. I am trying to find a better way to route some of the components tonight before I ship it back to him. I will give the final update then.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

So, if I got an 06 HVAC, it prolly wouldn't work with my 07 tC would it? Would I ruin the HVAC if I tried it?
Old 06-21-2007, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It shouldnt ruin it, but it wont work. A lot of the logic on the 07 is pretty much backward from the others and the connections are slightly different.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

But, I would be willing to provide a good deal on an 08 HVAC swap just to get my hands on it and see if they changed anything
Old 06-21-2007, 05:18 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

oohh... damn... that's right.... please they fixed it all..

(maybe the '08s will work on the '07s)....
(hmm... hopefully no more crazy changes were done to the layout..)