Notices
Regional - North MN, ND, SD

XB's handling on ice

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 11:14 PM
hef

Default XB's handling on ice

I am just wondering if anybody else is having the same problem as I. I live in northern MN and get a lot of snow and ice. When I am driving around a ice covered corner then the back end starts to slip sideways and the traction system stops it and beeps. It does it most of the times but half the time the back end spins out around on me and doesn't even try to stop it. It feels like i'm driving a rear wheel drive and end up in a complete circle. I notice it more if i crank the wheel a little to hard on ice and purposly try, then it spins me right around. I have had the alignment checked and its ok. Going straight its great, but turning on ice sucks. Any ideas or similar problems? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you have a gen 1 or 2?
Old 12-23-2008, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, the problem is your driving on ice. which means zero traction, therefore it is going to do stuff like spin and slide and the VSC can only do so much. no matter what you drive, when you come to an ice covered corner, you gotta take it slow.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:47 AM
hef

Its a gen 1, 2006. I've had numerous front wheel drive cars and have never had the problems like this box. Just seeing if others are noticing alot of differance between there box on ice and similar fwd vehicles.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:22 PM

Default spinning scion...

I can't even MAKE my scion xb slide or spin... it's an 08 model. Must be an older model thing or turn off the trac control when ice is enroute. goodluck, I hope it gets better.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like draxcaliber said, your driving on ice. My xb will spin out too if I try to make it by doing the same thing of trying to oversteer it. I sometimes bump my ebrake to make it do it too, and when I do that, my ESC doesn't kick in. My old 79 Jeep would do the same thing and it was a 4 wheel drive. The difference in your xb and other front wheel drive cars that you've had is your center of gravity is higher so the rear end has more potential to "sling" around than a car. Also, what kind of shape are your tires in?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

This is probably the worst handling fwd car I've driven on icey roads. I think its mainly due to the weight of the vehicle.

Back in December I had a real problem on hwy 36 and some of the snowfalls we had with low temps. The salt never held because of the sub zero temps and 36 was icy as hell.

I'd been coming home to basically glare ice on hwy 36e. I remember my car handling well and not drifting around and swaying on the ice. That month, it honestly was swaying in the rear, as if I were hauling a damn trailer. I've got good winter only tires on with plenty of tread. It almost feelt like the rear end wants to wip out and around.