Notices
Regional - Northeast: NYC Metro New York City Metropolitan Area

Seeking help of Scion certified Technician / Mechanic on a 2006 Tc...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exclamation Seeking help of Scion certified Technician / Mechanic on a 2006 Tc...

Hello all,

Would anyone know of a Scion certified Technician / Mechanic who may be willing to help with diagnosis & repair of a 2006 Scion Tc which blew an engine, the car was sitting for a couple of years, then we swapped out lower block, and now will not crank? There seems to be no power to the ECU as well. Any help would be appreciated and we can pay you for your time/labor once the car runs.

The 06 Tc is located in Farmingdale, Long Island NY 11735.

Thanks,
Will
Old 05-03-2013, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

flood car? stock engine? who did the work?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trd07tc
flood car? stock engine? who did the work?
Hi,

The whole story - previous owner had a turbo kit in it and blew the engine. The lower block case was damaged. The car was sitting over a couple of years. No flood damage, no theft, no odd history - just a blown engine when we got it.
We purchased the car with the blown lower block, took out the turbo kit and piggy back ECU. Then we purchased a clean lower block and replaced the damaged lower block. The car is now stock and will not crank. There is no power to ECU as there are no codes. Dash lights up and there is power to car. We tried using a ECU from another TC and it is the same - nothing.

I heard TC ECUs are disabled due to security once disconnected from the car or there is no power for a long time? That the only thing that can be done is a reflash by the Scion dealer with your car's VIN or that the car has to be at the dealer as well? Or maybe it's not an issue with the ECU and its something else?

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by willfong
Hi,

The whole story - previous owner had a turbo kit in it and blew the engine. The lower block case was damaged. The car was sitting over a couple of years. No flood damage, no theft, no odd history - just a blown engine when we got it.
We purchased the car with the blown lower block, took out the turbo kit and piggy back ECU. Then we purchased a clean lower block and replaced the damaged lower block. The car is now stock and will not crank. There is no power to ECU as there are no codes. Dash lights up and there is power to car. We tried using a ECU from another TC and it is the same - nothing.

I heard TC ECUs are disabled due to security once disconnected from the car or there is no power for a long time? That the only thing that can be done is a reflash by the Scion dealer with your car's VIN or that the car has to be at the dealer as well? Or maybe it's not an issue with the ECU and its something else?

Thanks for the help.
so the engine blew and only the lower crankcase was replaced? Who did that work?
Old 05-04-2013, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

is the key programmed for the ecu?
Old 05-06-2013, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We did the work ourselves.

The key fob is pretty beat up and buttons aren't clearly depressing. The key fits into the ignition so I assume it is programmed for the car's original ECU.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is there any modification to either the cabin wiring harness or the engine wiring harness? I would be willing to offer help but if it is an issue with the key that is out of my hands.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you check all your fuses? Check the ECU fuse as well as the main fuses
Old 06-10-2013, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trd07tc
is there any modification to either the cabin wiring harness or the engine wiring harness? I would be willing to offer help but if it is an issue with the key that is out of my hands.
There was a piggy back module to the ECU for the turbo system the car had before. It was a simple piggy back with about 3 spliced in wires we normalized to stock.
I appreciate the offer - where are you located? We are willing to compensate for your work/help if you get her started. We are at our whits end. PM'in you now.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any local Scion certified Technician / Mechanic wanting to make a house call to Farmingdale, Long Island NY 11735? I'll pay if you can help!