Notices
Regional - Pacific Mid CA, NV

Has anyone got pulled over for their missing front LP?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Has anyone got pulled over for their missing front LP?

Like my previous thread asking for the risk of tints. This thread asks for the risks of not installing the front license plate. Have anyone been pulled over for not having their front license plate installed. I know that some states don't require it, but CA does, so I want to know if it's worth the risk to keep the front bumper clean. And how much is a ticket for this offense?
Old 03-11-2006, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm, if you can tell the dealer not to drill holes in the bumper, tell them that youll fab up your own mount. because if you can go to the dealer before they do it, then you wont have those damn holes in your bumper. but i wouldnt risk driving around without it, its like 15 bux i think, but that could be spent on something way better..
Old 03-12-2006, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont have one.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Tongman I'm in the same boat as you. The dealer already drilled the damn holes so I'm just going to see how long I can get away with it. I'm thinking about calling the court house and seeing how much the actual fine is and if it isn't much I'll just put it on to get rid of the ticket and pay it, then take it off. F@$%'em.

JOe
Old 03-12-2006, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member

I have been rolling around without a plate since early last 2005. I had my dealer remove the holes because I said I was gonna participate in shows and I didn't want holes there to ruin the front looks of my car.

Forward ahead to when STAR WARS episode 3 first came out. My car was just lowered but I was driving in my town and got pulled over. I told the cop that there was never any plates installed because it was ordered and that the dealers forgot to put on a front plate. The cop actually let me go.

Then a few months later around summertime in july I pulled behind a sheriff who was on his bike at the stop light. I already knew what he was gonna pull me over because he turned around and looked at my car. So he pulled me over and said, "in WA state its required to have a front license plate." I fed him the same story as last, but the jack ___ gave me a ticket anyway. Im guessing it was because my car was "fixed up" and attracted alot of attention.

Well originally what would have been a $101 dollar ticket, I got it reduced to $40. I went to court and told the judge that I see numerous amounts off escalades, bmw's, chryslers, G35's, 350Z's, and even minivans with out front plates. I told the judge that I felt singled out because I have a "fixed up" import car and that the sherriff was being a jerk.

Then just last thursday, I let my significant other take my car to work, and she got pulled over. Once again it was because of the looks of the car. I have it mildly modded. But its enough to gain attention. The flippen cop harrased her about how its required blah blah, but luckily he had received another call on his walkie-talkie and jus let her go. I guess he finally had other important things to pertain too rather than harrasing drivers with "fixed up cars".

So its obvious that if your car looks stock, you can probably get away with out the front plate. But if your mildly or wildly modded out, it might be a good idea to keep the front plate in your glove box. So the next time you feel a cop is gonna pull you over for no plate, jus open your glove box and slap that baby up on the dash. Thats what I do when Im experiencing mild cases "po-po" paranoia.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got mine in april 05 and I haven't had a plate on at all. I got pulled over for my blue turn signals once and he mentioned the license plate. Here's the story I used. Worked like a champ. I told him that a truck in front of me had a load in the truck bed and a box blew out and ripped the plate out of the holes and stripped the wholes and I had been meaning to get fatter screws and put it back on. He let me off for the plate and the signals. The truck thing really happened to me by the way. But all it did was knock my grill lose. It popped right back in, but I was ready to kill the son of a _____ that didn't cover his truck load...
Old 03-12-2006, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Melly, even if you have the LP on the dash you will still get a ticket. My uncle was driving without a front license plate, but had it on his dash inside his truck. He still got a ticket for that. I think the law says that it has to be on the front end of your vehicle.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I told my Scion dealer that if the car had any holes in the front for a license plate, I would ask for my deposit back and not accept delivery of the car. I went to pick up my car, and there was 15 or 20 post it notes all over the car saying not to put on front plate.

I have illegally tinted front windows as well as no front plate. I got pulled over one night when I went to walgreens to pick up some last minute things. The cop also noticed the front plate not being there, but just gave me a warning ticket about the tints. I have had no plate and the tints since Dec. 04/1

I am knocking on wood right now!!!
Old 03-13-2006, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scott8
I told my Scion dealer that if the car had any holes in the front for a license plate, I would ask for my deposit back and not accept delivery of the car. I went to pick up my car, and there was 15 or 20 post it notes all over the car saying not to put on front plate.
That is funny!!! Your dealership must really want you as a customer.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got my tC in April of '05.....luckily my car didn't have the holes drilled in it......i got pulled over once for no LP.....but he let me go with a warning!!!!!!......i still refuse to put it on......it looks sooo clean without it........
Old 03-13-2006, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

i just tell the cops on i went to a car show earlier that day and havnt had a chance to put it back on until i get home
heh
Old 03-13-2006, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Took delivery of my car September '04 without a front plate, told the dealer not to drill it. Got a ticket for it for the first time 2 weeks ago.

I showed him my front plate which I kept under the passenger seat and told him that I had hit a garbage pail (which I did, had light scratches to prove it) and that it knocked my front plate off, and that I was awaiting a bracket to arrive. He gave me a ticket anyways, it was $90.

I have no doubt in my mind he targeted me because of my mods (19s, s-techs, tints, hks exhaust), it sucks, but you gotta pay to play.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if your really worried about it..just put it behind your lower grill. i have grills that resemble the rs1 grills and i just ziptied that bad boy to the curls in the bumper and havnt had a problem yet....its perfectly visable as well
Old 03-13-2006, 08:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TongMan, you're in CA. We got some of the hardest enforcement out here so I'd suggest putting it on. Getting pulled over for no FP is a stepping stone into bigger citations.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My Supra's Front plate is on my dash. i've never been pulled over, but i'm going to mount it soon. i have gotten pulled over before for having a tinted front plate cover on my 84 celica supra, and was told that my clear rear plate cover was illegal.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

x3 I'm stubborn
Old 03-13-2006, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by honey0bucket
if your really worried about it..just put it behind your lower grill. i have grills that resemble the rs1 grills and i just ziptied that bad boy to the curls in the bumper and havnt had a problem yet....its perfectly visable as well
Is that legal to have it behind the grill?
Old 03-13-2006, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Anything obstructing any letter on any states plate is illegal.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have no prob's with my plate not there. even driving onto post i'm good. it may have something to do with the type of plates i have. or they just don't care.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got my tc in august 05 and i have been rolling around without my front plate ever since. In Utah it is required to have both plates on. I live by a cop station too but i have never been pulled over for it. Either the cops in my area dont really care or they've never noticed it and I've pulled behind plenty of them because their station is so close to my house. The only thing that bugs me are the stupid holes in the bumper. Does any one know a quick fix to fill them up that looks nice?

Quick Reply: Has anyone got pulled over for their missing front LP?